next monitor checklist OLED/MiniLED 4K 32" 144Hz VRR HDR BFI

Associate
MiniLED is just around the corner, like cold fusion, but jokes aside I think I could get onboard with an OLED monitor even with the dangers of permanent burn-in. I think they can be mitigated with some software - can't an app just be knocked up that goes black/white for 1 second every 2 hours?

Having now owned an OLED TV the colour accuracy on them is a big step up even compared to my current IPS monitor. Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Princess Mononoke are a couple of example films that really show off what OLED panels can do. the colours just pop.

I think this 32" panel is coming soon (within a year), looking forward to reviews and pricing eek.

Soldato
can't an app just be knocked up that goes black/white for 1 second every 2 hours?
It's not the continuous state which causes burn-in, it's the individual colour LEDs wearing out from use. Think of it like using up part of their limited lifespan. A brighter led will burn out sooner than a dim one. So turning up the brightness will cause more burn-in/fading, and having the same image frequently will cause uneven wear which is visible later.

I think this 32" panel is coming soon (within a year)
Who are you anticipating this to be made by? LG have strategically released one (TV) size down each year for a couple of years now. 32" is a big step down from 42.

Associate
OP
oh yeah got ya, somehow I'd forgotten that. So its like a really expensive candle!

Who are you anticipating this to be made by? LG have strategically released one (TV) size down each year for a couple of years now. 32" is a big step down from 42.
https://www.displayninja.com/best-oled-monitor

AUO 32” 4K 144Hz Panel - I think they manufacture the panels for others to use in monitors. There is no ETA so could be that due to covid/supply chain stuff has been delayed like everything else.

Man of Honour
MiniLED is just around the corner
I’m assuming you mean Micro LED here? Mini LED backlight monitors are here and you can find quite a few 32” 4k high refresh rate models already

LG display have already said it will be extremely difficult to make a 32” 4k (high pixel density) WRGB OLED panel like their TV range so don’t expect 4k from them in that size. They are expected to produce a 27” 1440p with 240Hz though! https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-display-latest-panel-development-plans-june-2022

Samsung haven’t announced any plans for their monitor QD-OLED panels in that size and res but are a possibility.

JOLED have a 32” 4k OLED panel already but it’s 60Hz only right now, but they’d be my best bet for a high refresh 32” 4k option right now

Associate
OP
I’m assuming you mean Micro LED here? Mini LED backlight monitors are here and you can find quite a few 32” 4k high refresh rate models already
MicroLED! yes thanks, I'll never get that right.

LG display have already said it will be extremely difficult to make a 32” 4k (high pixel density) WRGB OLED panel like their TV range so don’t expect 4k from them in that size. They are expected to produce a 27” 1440p with 240Hz though! https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/lg-display-latest-panel-development-plans-june-2022

Samsung haven’t announced any plans for their monitor QD-OLED panels in that size and res but are a possibility.

JOLED have a 32” 4k OLED panel already but it’s 60Hz only right now, but they’d be my best bet for a high refresh 32” 4k option right now
27" 1440p OLED might be good until 4K gets here thanks. So we're a few years off with MicroLED then, not even at the stage of them being available as crazy money.

88-inch, 99-inch and 110-inch microLED TVs until 2024 or even 2025. .. While prices for these smaller sizes promise to be cheaper than The Wall, they certainly won't be affordable, with reports indicating prices could start at around $80,000 (around £59,500 / AU$113 500). We can only hope that by 2024 those projected prices might have dropped a little.
https://www.whathifi.com/news/samsu...apparently-delayed-until-2024-at-the-earliest

Soldato
MiniLED is just around the corner, like cold fusion, but jokes aside I think I could get onboard with an OLED monitor even with the dangers of permanent burn-in. I think they can be mitigated with some software - can't an app just be knocked up that goes black/white for 1 second every 2 hours?

Having now owned an OLED TV the colour accuracy on them is a big step up even compared to my current IPS monitor. Portrait of a Lady on Fire and Princess Mononoke are a couple of example films that really show off what OLED panels can do. the colours just pop.

I think this 32" panel is coming soon (within a year), looking forward to reviews and pricing eek.

You mean MicroLED? MiniLED monitors already exist

MicroLED is probably end game for panel technology but the light in that tunnel never ends, latest ETA for MicroLED mass production is 2028

MicroLED panels already exist of course, but the technology to make it cheap doesn't exist yet, MicroLED panels as of now cost $1000 to $2000 per inch and most panels come off the floor with lots of dead pixels

Soldato
Like said Mini LED isn't any different monitor type.
It's LCD with just different backlight allowing control of backlight brightness in actual segments instead of huge blotches of edge illumination.
But unlike others it is at least actually existing in production tech.
Though Covid related issues have delayed also them.
(like Acer X32 FP)

Micro LED, which is truly different display tech combining self emissive pixels to durability by using pixel sized inorganic LEDs is still like five years away at best.
The only issue? No manufacturer has them in their mass production development roadmap yet. The manufacturing process is still super expensive, which is only made worse by low manufacturing yields.

We’ve seen some prototypes of smart watches at the show, as well as an examples of a rollable display using micro-LED technology. But if it’s difficult and expensive to manufacture these smaller screens made up of thousands of micro-LEDs, you can imagine the challenge of manufacturing a monitor panel made up of millions.

There are no clear dates yet from any of the manufacturers. Based on our conversations with multiple micro-LED suppliers, we don’t expect mass-produced micro-LED monitors to hit the market until 2026-2028..

https://eve.community/t/exciting-monitor-trends-and-panels-found-at-display-week/35236

As for OLED, I haven't yet seen monitor sized high refresh rate 4K panel in any released current schedule.
LG has apparently some serious brightness (leading to endurance) issue in shrinking organic LEDs to size needed for 4K monitors:
Finally, we learned that at high pixel densities, the organic LEDs become so small that they no longer emit enough light to create a feasible image. This means that, at least for now, high resolutions are only possible on larger screens. In the near future, don’t expect to see 4K on an OLED screen smaller than 40 inches.
https://eve.community/t/exciting-monitor-trends-and-panels-found-at-display-week/35236
With 120Hz 4K OLED TVs common and affordable for already many years have suspected something like that.

LG's OLED monitors actually use panels from JOLED made by different manufacturing process and even they have only retro 60Hz panels in roadmap.

That might be also reason why Samsung didn't make monitor sized high end 4K panel, which would have sold like second coming of Jesus even at higher price.
Despite of naming, QD-OLED still uses standard blue OLED as energy source for quantum dot filter.
QD filter simply just absorpts incoming light from blue OLED and then emit that energy at its particle size dependant wavelength.
So if there's issue in shrinking OLED pixel size, it's likely still there at some level.
Also quantum dot filter might be hard to make for small pixels...

Caporegime
There are some small high res OLEDs though, the Dell XPS 13 has a 3.5K OLED panel in a 13" panel. That's a Samsung panel I believe, but it's 400 nits and 60hz and the IPS panel is brighter

Back
Top Bottom