Next Pre-Built PC for Rendering 1080p 60FPS Faster - Alienware?

Associate
Hi guys.

I think it's time I upgrade my PC. I want something that will allow me to render videos fast in Sony Vegas Pro 12 at 60FPS 1080p at 240,000,000 bps. With my current setup, it takes roughly an hour and 14 minutes to render a 14 minute long video in the settings I just mentioned.

Current specs:

Processor: Intel(R) Core i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
8GB RAM
500GB HDD
Graphics card: Radeon Sapphire HD6950
Windows 7

I have my eye on the Alienware Aurora (linked), but I do know Alienware can be overpriced for what they are and I'm not too sure if it'll do exactly what I want it to do.

I also plan to use my new machine (whatever it will be) for recording game footage via Fraps in 1080p 60FPS.

I also have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. It's just the machine itself I'm looking to upgrade to.

Any advice would be great guys. Budget is roughly £900. Thanks!

**Competitor link removed, please read the rules!**

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Welcome to the forums.

You'll meed to get rid of the link to Amazon - as it's against forum rules - OcUK pay for the forums and don't allow links to competitors.

For your use i would be considering a Ryzen build with minimum of 16Gb - preferably Ryzen 1700.

Do you game at all?

Associate
OP
Sorry! Didn't know that was against the rules.

I do game, but it's mostly on my PS4. The primary reason I need a new machine is, because as I already mentioned in my first post, I need to be able to render videos at high quality faster than an hour. But I will at some point game on this new machine, so I'd like something that will be able to do both.

Associate
Whatever system we recommend, it's performance will be massively gimped by you recording in fraps. Compared to relive/shadowplay fraps uses a huge amount of resources to record. Have you looked at these alternatives? They both offer very high quality recording compared to fraps. Not quite as high as fraps, as that's lossless recording, but very near to it.

Also, what is your budget?

Associate
OP
Ok, so I have no idea why I said Fraps. I use Bandicam, lol. Again, no idea why I said that.

This is what I'm thinking. If it can render videos fast in superb quality, then surely it'll be able to run and record games in high quality too, right?

Soldato
This is what I'm thinking. If it can render videos fast in superb quality, then surely it'll be able to run and record games in high quality too, right?
Yes, depends on the importance of the GFX card though - as ideally i would stick a Ryzen 1700 in your build - but a decent GFX card cripples a £900 budget.

I can give you a couple of example builds - but will probably be over but you can adjust accordingly.

I'll do a 1600 and a 1700 build.

Soldato

Last edited:
Soldato
I need to edit wrong GTX 1060 installed in builds.

*Done - mods feel free to delete this post.

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for your assistance so far, Plec. I appreciate it.

But, how do I build this PC on the site? I can't seem to find the link...
I think you can request a custom build via customer services - but suspect it would be £100+ for the privilege.

Have you considered building it yourself?

Associate
OP
Hey guys. Sorry for the late reply. Life has been getting in the way.

Anyway, I've been looking online and found a pre-build machine I like the look of. Just curious to see what you guys think of it, given what I want to use it for (see OP)

Intel Core i7 7700 Quad Core Processor - Base Frequency 3.6GHz, Turbo Frequency 4.2GHz
Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card with HDMI, DVI and Displayport outputs
16GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM / 2TB 7200 RPM SATA III Hard Drive / 240GB SSD
No OS (will install Windows 7 Ultimate)

£1,075

Soldato
From just listed parts it seems good value - but it all depends on the brand/model and quality of the components.

Without listing components hard to access accurately - but on the face of it, it seems good value, as it's pre-built.

But, there must have been savings made some where - PSU being the obvious to check...

Associate
The slow RAM could be a slight issue, going from the below video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Er_Fuz54U0Y

As you can see, upto 10fps can be gained from faster RAM in the video. I'm not sure how an i7 7700 would be different, but it might be negatively affected in a similar way. On this prebuilt, is there a way of changing the 16gb 2133mhz to 8gb @ 3000mhz?

Apart from that, it seems like a good price for what you get. I would agree with Plec to look into the PSU, and also the GPU. Is it a reference gpu or not? What sort of case etc. Are they using stock intel cpu cooler, if they are this could become annoying as they are quite loud.

Also, just had a quick look at other pre-built PCs around the ~£1075 bracket. I somehow found one for £1082 that matches the specs you linked, but has a 1080 instead of a 1070. Really not sure how that is even possible tbh. In any case, I would stick to a reputable company, such as OCuk, if possible. The company might be offering stuff so cheap as they are about to go bust, and thus won't be able to offer any after-sale support etc.

Associate
OP
No option to change the 16gb 2133mhz to 8gb @ 3000mh.

All I'm going to say is the company I'm planning to buy this off is quite reputable, one of the biggest in the world, and definitely isn't about to go bust. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
6 cores would help with the rendering, 16gb would also help, you could proper opt for a dual 16gb kit instead in case you wanted more than 16gb, would make it easier, the ssd while being a 240gb will help a lot also then you can reuse your 500gb for storing the edited files etc and m.2 frees sata ports for the future, the 580 8gb would help a great deal and be better than a 1060 unless of course the software favours nvidia, good quality case and power supply.

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £909.00
(includes shipping: £13.20)

Or for a prebuilt then one of these maybe?

My basket at Overclockers UK:
  • 1 x Titan Tanto Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.70GHz = £964.99
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
    • Case:Cougar Spike Micro-ATX Gaming Case - Black
    • Graphics card:Gainward GeForce GTX 1060 Dual 6144MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Security Software:Unwanted
  • 1 x Titan Merlin Micro ATX Gaming PC - AMD Ryzen 1400 system @ 3.70GHz = £994.00
    • Primary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Samsung 500GB 750 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive
    • Secondary Solid State Drive / Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Storage Mechanical Hard Drive:Unwanted
    • Sound Card:Unwanted
    • WIFI:Unwanted
    • Optical Drive:Unwanted
    • Lighting:Unwanted
    • Operating System:Unwanted
    • Build Time:Standard Build Systems - Dispatched within 7 working days
    • CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    • Memory:Team Group Vulcan T-Force 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Grey (TLGD416G24
    • Case:BitFenix Phenom MATX Cube Case - Midnight Black
    • Graphics card:Gigabyte Aorus Radeon RX 580 8192MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    • Security Software:Unwanted

Total: £1,982.09
(includes shipping: £23.10)

Which ever way you go you are going to be better off with Ryzen as the 7700k while better than in certain game benchmarks it has the same core/thread count as the ryzen 1400 @ over double the cost, the 1500x be better than the 1400 while still having the same core count and being £20 more then the 1600 is a 6 core 12 thread and the i7 is double the cost of that, so basically your getting newer tech that's as fast if not faster, offers more cores/threads for faster multiple activity while at the same time being cheaper than an i5 6600k never mind the i7, obviously the 1700 onwards are the same price if a bit more than the i7, but they are 8 core processors with 16 threads.

Back
Top Bottom