Nexus 4 - 3G keeps locking

Associate
Hi

I am hoping that someone might be able to offer some help with a problem I have.

I have recently brought a Nexus 4 (first Android phone) and I am having a problem. Basically anything from 30 minutes to a few hours and my 3G will lockup/freeze. I only noticed it the other day as the H on the signal meter had gone. At first I put this down to bad reception or problems with Three. After about 15 minutes I decided to turned the N4 off and back on and all was OK. A little later it happened again, and again. Yesterday I did a reset & restore and everything seemed ok, but this morning 3G has frozen and I had to power off and back on. Took me 20 minutes to get to work and the same happened again.

I tried calling my mobile it would just ring out, but nothing displayed on my N4. I tried to call my desktop phone from my N4 and the Contacts App stopped responding and also another process stopped (cannot remember what it was) but assume they have restarted and its working again.

Does this look like a faulty phone ? or is there a way to down the current firmware are reset

Thanks for taking a look and hope you can help

John

Soldato
You 100% sure it's not the phone saving battery and downgrading with interface it uses? You can just use flight mode to reset the air interfaces by the way, no need to fully power off.

Associate
OP
Thanks for your quick reply.

If it was saving battery should it not power it back up when I try to use data ?

I will try switching between flight mode and see if that works

Associate
Actually this sounds very similar to a problem I used to have with my htc sensation, used to have to take the battery out each time just to get 3g working again. No idea what caused it but it's not happened in ages so in my case it simply went away. Not a lot of help for you I realise but it might simply sort itself out....

Where did you get it from? if it was o2 could simply wait till it happens again and take it in for a replacement, if its from google direct maybe you could start a ticket or something?

Associate
OP
I got the N4 from o2

I did get a o2 PAYG sim so what I might do is pop that in there and see if it happens with that too over the weekend. If it does I will be back in o2 monday morning

Cheers for the help

Soldato
Thanks for your quick reply.

If it was saving battery should it not power it back up when I try to use data ?

I will try switching between flight mode and see if that works

Depends on how long the data bearer lasts to be technical :/ Run 2 speed tests, one before and one after the bug. Post results + display symbols you saw - all of them (in order you may see some/all/none of the following: G/E/3G/3G+/H/H+)

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply

When I lose connection the signal indicator is frozen at what ever it was on at the time. So this morning for example in my house I get all 5 bars and a H. At work in my office I am lucky to get one. So when I got to work it was showing all 5 bars.

I have ran several speed tests and at one point I was getting 10101kbps down and 2088kbps up.

When its locked up/frozen all I get back is that there is no connection try later

Associate
OP
Hi

Just got home and its gone again. Took sim out and it did not even register that the sim was removed. Could not make or receive calls.

Tired to search for a network and it came back with "Error while searching for networks"

Looks buggered to me :(

Back
Top Bottom