Nice to see the justice system getting its priorities in order!-Again!

Soldato
If she had nearly died she, the girl wouldn't have been charged with 'wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and having a bladed article.'

Vince plenty of people who assault people who were very fortunate not to have died as a result are charged with a s.18 GBH simply because attempted murder is one of the hardest 'assault' charges to prove. With murder you have to prove the intent to kill or cause someone GBH (with the person dieing as a result regardless of whether your intent was to kill or cause GBH).

With attempted murder you have to prove intent to kill (not just cause GBH) but yet the victim obviously has to not die as a result which makes it very tricky to secure an attempted murder charge short of there being very clear motivation in the defendants acts to intend to kill the victim.

On these cases I think there is cause for serious sentences for serious fraud like this were the benefit to the criminals runs into the millions of pounds. Such fraud if left unchecked has serious consequences for the wider economy as a whole and the ability of companies to do business in a country.

Caporegime
It's what happens when corporations have so much influence over governments (lobbying etc). A lot politicians go and work for such companies just as soon as their political careers are over, in other words you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

Man of Honour
Reason those illegal streamer company people got such long sentences BTW is because they are being prosecuted for two offences - one being the original crime itself and the other for trying to interfere with the course of justice or something along those lines.

Soldato
But it’s the extent of the piracy. It’s a huge sum of money.

Just like you’d expect a company director who embezzles tens of millions to get a longer sentence.

It’s why the judges have guidelines to follow when deciding the sentence.

You mention physically assaulted. Where do you draw the line? Who deserves a bigger sentence. Someone who smashes a pint glass over someone on a night out or someone who defrauds millions of pounds from pensioners.

Soldato
OP

Actually, it is no money at all (Or at least very little)

I despair of the logic that argues that somehow a company like Sky has "Lost" money as a result of this sort of activity.

The most that they could argue of having "Lost" is the money that the pirates made for themselves (On the grounds that had Sky made the services available to the pubs at that price, then Sky would have collected the money rather than the pirates)

Any greater sums are simply numbers plucked out of somebodies ass.

They are calculated on the assumption that the pubs would otherwise have paid full whack for the legitimate service.

That is one hell of an assumption and IMO a totally unjustified one. it certainly cannot be proven in any way. And claims of financial loss as a consequence are just wrong. Downright lies even, and should have no bearing on the sentencing really.

(It would be different had the pirates masqueraded as Sky and provided the service at Skys prices, but that is a very different situation to the one described in the original story)

Hovering the mouse over the two links in the OP shows that they relate to the well known clickbait champion.

NEXT!

Oh for sure.

I am just more honest that everybody else. :p

I know perfectly well what everybody does here.

You all check out the Mail site for stories (Easiest news site to use really. No paywall, no moans about using ad blockers etc)

Then, when an interesting story is found. You then do a web search to try to find the same story elsewhere to link too. so you can claim some sort of intellectual superiority over the proletarian masses of DM readers.

Which is why so many links on OCUK seem to be to obscure regional news sites.

Go on, Admit it, you all (Or most of you anyway) do it all the time.

Just be Honest and post the original link already! And admit that you all trawl the Mail just like everybody else!

:p :D

Caporegime
It may be no money at all, but if you didn’t constantly make an example out of them, others might see some value in chasing fraudulent activity.

Of course it would be great if they’d be consistent with it, especially for people who knowingly caused the sub prime crisis.

Also there may be an argument in the fact that selling fraudulent sky devices/service to people, is in fact harming them as the consumer. Sure, having sky is probably not worth anyone’s money at his point, but these folks were abused even if they got the service they paid for.

That can’t stand in a regulated environment, no matter the winners or losers.

Soldato
OP
It may be no money at all, but if you didn’t constantly make an example out of them, others might see some value in chasing fraudulent activity.

Of course it would be great if they’d be consistent with it, especially for people who knowingly caused the sub prime crisis.

Also there may be an argument in the fact that selling fraudulent sky devices/service to people, is in fact harming them as the consumer. Sure, having sky is probably not worth anyone’s money at his point, but these folks were abused even if they got the service they paid for.

That can’t stand in a regulated environment, no matter the winners or losers.

Nevertheless, my original point stands.

Either one sentence was far too lenient, or the other was far too severe.

The current scenario where you get a lighter sentence for coming with in a inch of stabbing somebody to death (Literally, there are lots of major blood vessels in the neck, not to mention the spinal cord itself) than you do for blagging some sky sports is screwy! :(

Soldato
OP
Have there been any studies performed about the perception men get harsher prison sentences than women?

I sort of had the impression based on anecdote that, in the main, Women tend to get less severe sentences for serious offenses, but more severe sentences for minor ones

Caporegime
Have there been any studies performed about the perception men get harsher prison sentences than women?

Let me google that for you, ah yes, multiple. All have reached the same conclusion: males get harsher sentences than female. It's not a "Perception" as you put it. It's a fact.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012...9yZy8&guce_referrer_cs=IaO5ffXWnQujcpRpY3zIKQ

"The study found that men receive sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts.

Starr also found that females arrested for a crime are also significantly more likely to avoid charges and convictions entirely, and twice as likely to avoid incarceration if convicted."

https://www.law.umich.edu/newsandinfo/features/Pages/starr_gender_disparities.asp <<<same study, different source.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/women-and-the-criminal-justice-system-2013

https://lylawyers.com.au/why-do-female-criminals-get-lighter-sentences-than-men/

https://journalistsresource.org/stu...justice/courts-lenient-sentencing-bond-women/

That's the UK, US and Oz.

Caporegime
I mean that one story recently in the last couple of years, where a ‘off-her-nut’ medical student stabbed her boyfriend got barely any punishment.

A guy in similar position would have been ruined, unless they lived in the US and was affected by ‘affluenza’.

Soldato

Just like you’d expect a company director who embezzles tens of millions to get a longer sentence.

It’s why the judges have guidelines to follow when deciding the sentence.

You mention physically assaulted. Where do you draw the line? Who deserves a bigger sentence. Someone who smashes a pint glass over someone on a night out or someone who defrauds millions of pounds from pensioners.

I think there is an argument to be made about whether being put in prison is the right sentence for non-violent crimes.

I think some form of community work would have been suitable. Prisons are already overcrowded with violent criminals.

I don't know why copyright crimes are even a criminal matter. Surely it should be a civil matter between the copyright holder and the offender?

Soldato
Is it because one admitted the crime and the others tried to pervert the course of justice?

Pirating some football vs stabbing someone in the face....

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder....

Edit: i'm not saying what they got wasn't "fair" considering they were doing it since 2008 (And was probably quite an organized operation)....but a bouncer trying to stab someone in face? 5 years? yeah no.

Back
Top Bottom