Nice to see the justice system getting its priorities in order!-Again!

Caporegime
Pirating some football vs stabbing someone in the face....

Hmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder....

Edit: i'm not saying what they got wasn't "fair" considering they were doing it since 2008 (And was probably quite an organized operation)....but a bouncer trying to stab someone in face? 5 years? yeah no.

If you disagree with it, leave? :mad:;)

Associate
Just the way this country is now financial crimes get tougher sentencing, free speech is dying and professional politicians are the norm i lost faith in the criminal justice system a long time ago and have a lot less respect for the police these days. I just shut up and plod along no point trying to oppose many aspects of 2019 UK society if i had the cash I'd be out of the UK like a bullet but I'm skint so as above i just keep quiet and plod along.

Soldato
The problem is timescale and volume.

Stabbing someone in the face/attempted murder is definitely the more serious of the crimes.

Committing fraud for 10+ years costing a company in excess of an estimated £10 million isn't just a little case of piracy.

Had they of done this a couple of times and got caught they probably wouldn't have seen a jail cell

Soldato
Pirate movies is slap on the wrist material. It's a total waste of tax payers money sending them to prison for years for something so petty.

The whole point in prison is supposed to be for people who are a danger to the public. Some who stabbed someone is danger, someone selling pirate movies isn't.

I wonder how many brown envelopes have been past to get those kind of sentences.

Last edited:
Capodecina
Soldato
It staggers me that people can so readily dismiss theft as being of no consequence.
Presumably these people just shrug their shoulders if they get burgled?

Caporegime
The problem is timescale and volume.

Stabbing someone in the face/attempted murder is definitely the more serious of the crimes.

Committing fraud for 10+ years costing a company in excess of an estimated £10 million isn't just a little case of piracy.

Had they of done this a couple of times and got caught they probably wouldn't have seen a jail cell

She wasn't charged with attempted murder.

Soldato
Stab somebody repeatedly in the face and neck (Only by Gods Grace was this not a Murder)

Five Years

That's probably down to the CPS being a bunch of spineless cretins who always take the easy option to guarantee a tick in the convicted column. There was a similar thing not long back in Dunstable where a bloke deliberately and purposefully drove a car along the pavement in an attempt to kill someone he'd had an earlier argument with but being a complete anti-social div he ploughed into an innocent person instead, leaving them crippled for life. The spineless CPS decided to charge him with GBH with intent, much to the displeasure of the police involved in the case who were visibly ****** off and very scathing of how the CPS operates.

Soldato
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-47691606

More jail time for throwing an egg than nearly killing a girl and leaving her for dead. What. The. Actual. ****

It wasn't just an egg being thrown it was an attack on a promient politician so I think a robust sentence is fully justified here (and I'm far from a a fan of Corbyn)

The latter case just reflects the reality that sometimes people who otherwise would and probably should go to prison don't because of the devastating effect it would have on other's particulary children.

Soldato
That's probably down to the CPS being a bunch of spineless cretins who always take the easy option to guarantee a tick in the convicted column. There was a similar thing not long back in Dunstable where a bloke deliberately and purposefully drove a car along the pavement in an attempt to kill someone he'd had an earlier argument with but being a complete anti-social div he ploughed into an innocent person instead, leaving them crippled for life. The spineless CPS decided to charge him with GBH with intent, much to the displeasure of the police involved in the case who were visibly ****** off and very scathing of how the CPS operates.

Previously in this thread I highlighted exactly why you don't see too many attempted murder charges and why GBH is very often and very sensibly a preferred charge.

The fact is that a section 18 GBH is already punishable with up to life imprisonment and so a court will have plenty of sentencing power to reflect the individual circumstances of the case with the male in the case you cite getting a fairly substantial sentence of seven years.

This has nothing to do with the CPS being 'spineless' rather it would appear some police officers and others not knowing enough about the law.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If she had nearly died she, the girl wouldn't have been charged with 'wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and having a bladed article.'

Nope, see the comments from the judge, he's acknowledged that stabbing someone in the neck could quite easily have killed them:

Sentencing Judge Alan Conrad QC said: 'This was serious group violence at night, in public, on a crowded street.

'The incident was taken to an altogether and more serious level by Megan Madden using that knife to stab the victim repeatedly to the head, face and neck causing wounds of which she is actively conscious of and causing her to be fearful of going out in public.

'I accept that there was some provocation but you all continued to be involved none the less.'

Turning to Megan, the judge said it was disturbing she was carrying a blade and that she drew that in a violent situation.

'The carrying of a knives are matters of great concern,' he said. 'You face for this a significant custodial sentence.

'A stab wound to the neck can quite easily result in a fatal injury and you could have been spending at least 25 years in prison.'

Soldato
But surely you can only be charged with what you've done/attempted to do and not what could've possibly happened?

Like a burglar stealing a £3k painting whilst knowing nothing about art. They can't be charged on the possibility of that painting actually being worth millions.

She's not killed her, nor was it probably her intent to kill. Just a moment of rage madness.

Soldato
a human life is only worth a few thousand I think, whereas pirating sky tv costs them millions

oh....you think the government actually cares about you? hahahahahahahahaha....oh geez

they care about your tax money though

Caporegime
a human life is only worth a few thousand I think, whereas pirating sky tv costs them millions

oh....you think the government actually cares about you? hahahahahahahahaha....oh geez

they care about your tax money though

She didn’t die... if you have such contempt for the judiciary then you can leave.

Caporegime
But surely you can only be charged with what you've done/attempted to do and not what could've possibly happened?

Like a burglar stealing a £3k painting whilst knowing nothing about art. They can't be charged on the possibility of that painting actually being worth millions.

She's not killed her, nor was it probably her intent to kill. Just a moment of rage madness.

That's the thing, I do wonder if perhaps the way we deal with this stuff is a bit flawed.

I mean say person A stabs person B on a council estate in central London in broad daylight, at lunchtime on a Wednesday, they're spotted and immediately rushed to a top central London hospital and given first class medical care, they survive. That person might get GBH, might get attempted murder... it is a bit of a lottery.

Say the exact same stabbing occurred but it happened say 20 years ago, the medical care perhaps isn't as advanced and the victim dies... or perhaps it happens today but it is in some small town in rural Norfolk and on a Saturday night + the victim is taken to a small local hospital with an A&E department already under strain from drunk inbreds.

The perpetrator's sentence is potentially massively influenced by things unrelated to the offence itself like the time of day and the skills + resources of the medical team etc... That shouldn't be a reason for one person to get 5 years and another to get 20.

Back
Top Bottom