Nikon D5100

Soldato
ok, went for this camera in the end, not having one was killing me, got the 18-105 lens and will now save for the nifty 50 and maybe a macro later...

How ever... if anyone else has one, can you get the HDR setting to stay on after one photo or am i being a numpty here..

Only had it for 3 hours so far, colours not as good as the Fuji S5 for faces ive found, but maybe needs a new setting for it, but speed, weight, ease of use and features very good so far..

Colin

Soldato
Have a look around for some suggestions for some custom picture settings online. The default 'portrait' picture setting (note: Not scene mode) is a little bland on Nikon's imo.

Regarding the HDR - no idea sorry, haven't used a D5100 :(

Soldato
For HDR you could set the exposure bracket to 2 stops with continuous shooting 'low' set to 3fps & take under/normal/over exposures, preferably on a tripod by remote shutter.

Soldato
To the first question, no, you need to re-enable it after each shot (sadly).

For portraits, I use the neutral preset instead of portrait or vivid ect as it gives a far more realistic skintone and can be touched up easily in post. Also, remember to change from RGB to adobe RGB in the options to get better colour out of the camera anyway as its set to RGB by default.

Associate
If you have the ability to piece HDR together on a computer then definitely recommend doing the manual bracketing way rather than their 'novelty' HDR setting as outlined above.

Took me a couple of weeks to work out that you can change the self-timer countdown, I think you can get 2, 5 and 10 seconds which I was using to reduce camera shake on shutter release until I found the delayed shutter release setting which stays on in the depths of the menu.

Just wish the delete button wasn't so close to the other reviewing buttons AND is not as simple as double pressing to delete, fortunately only lost one photo in haste but rather worrying all the same.

Caporegime
To the first question, no, you need to re-enable it after each shot (sadly).

For portraits, I use the neutral preset instead of portrait or vivid ect as it gives a far more realistic skintone and can be touched up easily in post. Also, remember to change from RGB to adobe RGB in the options to get better colour out of the camera anyway as its set to RGB by default.

Be very careful using adobe RGB, since most viewing platforms are only sRGB anyway. But adobeRGB is good if you are printing to proper printers and have calibrated setups etc.

Caporegime
ok, went for this camera in the end, not having one was killing me, got the 18-105 lens and will now save for the nifty 50 and maybe a macro later...

How ever... if anyone else has one, can you get the HDR setting to stay on after one photo or am i being a numpty here..

Only had it for 3 hours so far, colours not as good as the Fuji S5 for faces ive found, but maybe needs a new setting for it, but speed, weight, ease of use and features very good so far..

Colin

You can play with the contrast, saturation and sharpening to ge tthe looks you want. Nikon cameras try to keep a slightly more realistic toned down saturation and contrast comapred to Canon, Sony and Fuji.

Soldato
OP
Cheers all, i guess i just need to get use to it a little more and play around with it until i get the settings i want out of it.

So far, it isnt bad camera, i need to put a good lens on it though when i can afford one and a tripod, but so far, it is much better than my iphone :) But i do miss the colour tones of my old fuji S5. But PS works that out for me.

Colin

Back
Top Bottom