Nikon shooters

Soldato
Anybody else ever used the f2.8 (105) macro? I'm astounded as to how sharp and versatile this lens is. Prior to purchasing I used to laugh at some of the review comments claiming it was too sharp to use as a portrait lens when all that was needed was a little editing- as elated as I am, I'm somewhat disappointed I bought the Sigma 105 f1.4 when the Nikon could easily replace it (bar the bokeh).

Last edited:
Associate
I had it when I had my D750 kit. People seem to mistake the enhanced micro contrast for sharpness, as you say - easy to sort in post if its not wanted. Good lens overall but I preferred the Sigma 85mm for portraits personally.

Soldato
OP
I had it when I had my D750 kit. People seem to mistake the enhanced micro contrast for sharpness, as you say - easy to sort in post if its not wanted. Good lens overall but I preferred the Sigma 85mm for portraits personally.

I've got the 85 as well. Perhaps it's just the versatility of the macro and its relatively small size compared to the Sigma Art 105. Easier to lug around etc.

Soldato
I've been tempted in the past to dabble with macro, but portrait primes in the 105-135mm range interest me. However, I have my 70-200 and deep down I know I can't really justify the money. I believe Tokina also do a 105mm macro offering that is highly rated? I've always wanted (or should I say wished for!) the Sigma 135mm, never had the opportunity to even try one though.

Soldato
i've had the 105 2.8 vr for a few years now but hardly ever use it. I used to think i was keeping it because it was my longest lens and had vr, so it was a 'just in case i need that extra reach' type lens (i almost always use a 35/85 combo on two cams). However, I recently caved in and got a 70-200 so i think i ought to be looking to shift the macro as i really don't think i'm going to use it...

Soldato
OP
Well I mainly bought it for the extra reach when doing macro having previously used the 60mm amongst some of the other varients. I'm intrigued as to how the 105 macro will perform as a portrait lens and the possibilities it will provide.

Associate
I always loved my Nikon 105mm, lovely to use and produces a great image but it's actually one of the softer macros and suffers horribly from CA which can be a real nuisance for some subjects.

Back
Top Bottom