1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo Apply For N64 Trademark (N64 Mini?)

Discussion in 'Console Games & Hardware' started by antijoke, May 22, 2018.

1. antijoke

Caporegime

Get your scalpal's at the ready.

http://www.japanesenintendo.com/post/174148107484

2. Explosivo

Hitman

They'll probably make about 12 of them.

3. The Craig

Soldato

The charm/retro appeal of the 16bit retro era I feel is lost in early 3d games though (apart from AAA+ games)

Mind you space station silicon valley was great... (and OoT, goldeneye, banjo etc but rare titles won't be on it.)

4. Noxia

Soldato

To be fair, the N64 isn't a console I'd ever want a mini one of as I don't think any of the games have aged well. Good news for those that do like it though.

5. McBain

Capodecina

Still have my N64 knocking about, going strong after 20 years :)

Would buy a mini version though without a doubt - providing Goldeneye is on it!

6. Begbie

Capodecina

Yeah, this is the reason the mini N64 won't sell as well.

No diddy kong racing, or Goldeneye. Or doubtful, unless RARE plays nice.

7. Kyle009

Mobster

If true I'd want:

Mario Golf
    Mario Kart
    Smash Brothers
    Jet Force Jemini
    Goldeneye
    Perfect Dark

I know this is unlikely due to licensing.

8. james.miller

Capodecina

If it didnt have perfect dark i wouldn't even consider it.

Pricing will be interesting on this, they cant reuse the same internals as they did for the nes and snes as they arent fast enough for n64 emulation. It'll have to be something quite a bit more advanced. It might be worth keeping an eye on the hacks etc as with that amount of grunt available it might prove to be quite a versatile little device...

9. kinger8938

Sgarrista

N64 without the Rare titles doesn't really do much for me unfortunatly :(

10. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

The SNES was the pinnacle of 2D gaming while the N64 was at the start of 3D, so going back to the N64 is painful in comparison because of the resolution, cameras, controls and frame rates.

There is no reason for Rare titles to be missing as MS have been very open to sharing their IP with Nintendo judging by the various twitter posts around the topic..

11. Plainsong

Soldato

Oh I don't know. Even just Nintendo as developer the list is full of classics:

1080 Snowboarding
    F-Zero X
    Majora's Mask
    Ocarina of Time
    Mario Kart 64
    Star Fox 64
    Mario 64
    Wave Race 64

If they could add some published stuff into that for things like Pilotwings 64 and some Rare games it would sell buckets.

I think a lot would go for that. Agreed 3D will look a bit ropey but there is a ton of really good gameplay there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_64_games

12. Maundie

Wise Guy

The amount of time I lost on Mario 64 is just mind boggling, as mentioned before though I don't think the N64 will hold up very well compared to the Retro quirkiness of old 2d scrollers.

I'll have to see what pricing is like as I have both a SNES and Megadrive so maybe would also get this.

13. fez

Capodecina

Nah, they won't do this. So many of the best games were 4 player and who is going to buy an expensive console and then buy extra controllers to play old N64 games that look a bit **** on new TVs. As others have said, it would look rubbish because the graphics are the start of 3d which hasn't aged well at all. Consider the price of the new SNES etc then add on a more powerful console and extra controllers. Who would pay that for 10 or so N64 games that look crap and require extra controllers to be bought if you wanted goldeneye with your mates.

14. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

An N64 virtual console on the Switch would be way better.

15. james.miller

Capodecina

Better for switch owners maybe.

16. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

A better decision for Nintendo.

17. ak22

Soldato

Im up got N64 mini but there will two great games missing Diddy kong racing and Goldeneye due to license's and rare being sold to Microsoft .

18. Kenai

Capodecina

I think a lot of the 'charm/retro appeal' is based on what you grew up with. I see virtually no appeal in the 16bit era because it was before my time, they're just old 2D games to me, so I had no interest in the Mini NES or SNES.

The N64 was my first console and my introduction to gaming so holds a huge amount of retro appeal for me, even if early 3D hasn't aged spectacularly.

19. Xire

Mobster

N64 classic is the wrong route.

Now a Gameboy classic (with all game boy colour etc games) - This would be amazing.

20. Kreeeee

Man of Honour

That would be great. I bet a lot of people would like to play some of those classics on their TV instead of a non-back-lit screen. I had a Super Game Boy for my SNES but I don't think they were that popular.

I'm currently playing through the excellent Zelda Link's Awakening DX on my 3DS but I would much prefer to play it on my TV.