Nintendo NX: Why Not Having An Optical Drive Could Potentially Work In The Big N’s Favor

Soldato
Without those the only thing left in Nintendo's business plan will be Amiibo... :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I am not a console gamer, I game on PC.

HOWEVER, I have kids who SHOULD be their target audience but I as the one who makes the purchasing decision have not purchased their kit as I feel it is bad value for money.

The tablet/controller/screen thing being required is stupid. Just seems like something expensive to break/go wrong?

I refuse to purchase a product which lets be honest, you purchase to then have the privilege to purchase games made by the same company, what a rip off.

Their attitude to online gaming has been farsical. I had a DS and a Wii and online was a load of ****. 100 digit friends code... different for each game. LOLs

All I see from the WiiU at the moment (Please correct me if I am wrong) is a first party and Indie console.

WiiU? More like posh Ouya :p

Soldato
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

I am not a console gamer, I game on PC.

HOWEVER, I have kids who SHOULD be their target audience but I as the one who makes the purchasing decision have not purchased their kit as I feel it is bad value for money.

The tablet/controller/screen thing being required is stupid. Just seems like something expensive to break/go wrong?

I refuse to purchase a product which lets be honest, you purchase to then have the privilege to purchase games made by the same company, what a rip off.

Their attitude to online gaming has been farsical. I had a DS and a Wii and online was a load of ****. 100 digit friends code... different for each game. LOLs

All I see from the WiiU at the moment (Please correct me if I am wrong) is a first party and Indie console.

WiiU? More like posh Ouya :p

I see your point to an extent. You are certainly right when you say that you need a Wii U to play Nintendo games but I think that misses the point. There are some fantastic games out on the Wii U that are really fun to play.

It probably isn't a good console if that is the only console you are going to own (I have a PS4 as well as the Wii U which I play the more serious games on) but it is worth owning. And the thing that really sold the Wii U to me was the huge list of backwards compatible games you can pick up for it from the NES / SNES / N64 era which is awesome.

Hopefully the new console will be more powerful and have a larger selection of backwards compatible games. I also hope Nintendo ditch the stupid motion controls for everything. Just give me a controller like the Wii U Pro controller and I'll be happy.

Soldato
And the thing that really sold the Wii U to me was the huge list of backwards compatible games you can pick up for it from the NES / SNES / N64 era which is awesome.

I found VC games on the Wii were dreadfully overpriced for what was effectively an emulator running a rom with occasional tweaks to fix PAL/NTSC and Widescreen compatibility.

Did Wii VC purchases transfer to WiiU?

Associate
Disagree, they need third party games on this console, otherwise it's WiiU MKII with only the blind Nintendo faithful buying the thing.

For third party games they need to be on the same level performance if not more than the PS4/Xbox One.

Nintendo are becoming irrelevant, the Nintendo fans wont like me saying that because they cannot accept that fate for their dearly beloved company.

I'm a fan of gaming in general and if I was to say anything was irrelevant then I would say it was my use of PS4/XB1 . I need PS4 for Uncharted but beyond that I play pretty much any new release on my PC/Gaming laptop rigged to TV.

Nintendo offers me the games that dont come to PC. So they are actually more relevant than other consoles to me right now.

Soldato
Nintendo are becoming irrelevant, the Nintendo fans wont like me saying that because they cannot accept that fate for their dearly beloved company.

You're criticizing people for blindly loving a company where clearly you blindly hate it.

I know your mind wont change on the matter, but I think to say company is becoming irrelevant when just one generation ago they disrupted the industry considerably (like it or not, they did) is just plain silly.

Soldato
I'm a fan of gaming in general and if I was to say anything was irrelevant then I would say it was my use of PS4/XB1. I need PS4 for Uncharted but beyond that I play pretty much any new release on my PC/Gaming laptop rigged to TV.

Nintendo offers me the games that dont come to PC. So they are actually more relevant than other consoles to me right now.

I think you have missed the point.

Because Nintendo cater to such a niche market and a severe shortage of 3rd party support.

Sony and Microsoft are completely relevant as they are the market leaders that if a publisher/dev takes their games to those platforms they have a customer base of around 30 million or something.

I also have a gaming PC but there is no chance I'm having my rig in my living room. I want my PC for PC games with a mouse and keyboard. Plus with most of the latest games being a mess it's certainly an easier life playing on console at the moment.

Nintendo need to open up a little and make an effort to create a console for gamers. Perhaps more metroids and less cutesy games as well! :p

Soldato
Plus with most of the latest games being a mess it's certainly an easier life playing on console at the moment.

I certainly agree with that. I buy all my new games for consoles now even though I have an X79 based gaming PC with two graphics cards in crossfire that play just about any game I've tried in max settings at 1440p.

PC gaming is just a PITA sometimes and I'm fed up of dealing with random crashes happening every now and again. Apart from strategy games (which I love but only really work on the PC) all my games from now on will be on the PS4 or Nintendo Wii U.

Associate
Nintendo need to open up a little and make an effort to create a console for gamers. Perhaps more metroids and less cutesy games as well! :p

The rest of your post before this bit is fair enough. However Nintendo have put more effort into making games for gamers than any other developer I can think of. Maybe NaughtyDog come close.

Just because a game is colourful or "cutesy" it doesnt mean it isnt a brilliant game. Mario Kart 8, Zelda The Wind Waker and Super Mario 3d world are some of the greatest games created.

The narrowminded view that games need to be adult themed to hold their own is unfortunate. My time spent on the games I mentioned surpass, or at the very least match my experiences with The Last of Us, GTA, God Of War, Halo, CoD, DmC, Resident Evil, Mad Max, Dying Light and countless others.

I'd hazard a guess a lot of people just dive in to slate Nintendo games as childish or with no depth without ever having actually played them.

A "Gamer" should be open to any gaming experience regardless of platform and try and judge it without bias.

The Wii U may have failed in sales compared to the competition but mine still holds its place by the TV with about 10 games I'm more than happy with.

Can't type for toffee
Don
I think one of the last cartridge based games I saw in stores was Conkers Bad Fur Day, I'm sure the RRP on that awas £59.99 and how many years ago was that!
Yet come now even on PS4 and XBONE games on digital distribution are... £59.99!

Bring back the cartridges!
And give us some proper limited edition copies, Gold Zelda Cartridge please... Not mas produced "limited edition" junk that drops from 99.99 to 29.99 then ends up in bargain bins :p

I appreciate that flash is cheap and nintendos buying power is huge, however please don't make them fiddly littel cartridges, proper big bulky ones please.

And no flimsy cardboard boxes please :p

Soldato
Just because a game is colourful or "cutesy" it doesnt mean it isnt a brilliant game. Mario Kart 8, Zelda The Wind Waker and Super Mario 3d world are some of the greatest games created.

The narrowminded view that games need to be adult themed to hold their own is unfortunate. My time spent on the games I mentioned surpass, or at the very least match my experiences with The Last of Us, GTA, God Of War, Halo, CoD, DmC, Resident Evil, Mad Max, Dying Light and countless others.

I'd hazard a guess a lot of people just dive in to slate Nintendo games as childish or with no depth without ever having actually played .

I have played stacks of Nintendo games in my life all the way from the NES to the Gamecube. There is no doubting Nintendo's level design and game mechanics. They are a very talented developer. I would suggest that their target audience is younger than say Microsoft or Sony's. The artistic style doesn't really draw me in or the characters. Thats not just Nintendo though, I wouldn't really play Rayman or Sonic either these days. Nintendo is typically more associated with this type of game. Whilst games don't need to have a more mature nature its something Nintendo consoles lack and that brings us back to 3rd party support....:p

Back
Top Bottom