Nissan Almera 1998 Not Starting

Associate
Hi,

My car is refusing to start. I have recharged the battery. I have tried jump starting it from another car. When I start the starter motor works but like it is out of breath.

Do you think I need a new starter motor, battery or any other ideas?

Many Thanks

Associate
OP
Nissan

Problem getting fuel to the engine?
Tow it to a garage?
I'd question any spending on it - probably not worth it.

The problem is it passed an MOT 2 weeks ago. The car was starting badly for the last week but being busy I din't manage to sort it now, it won't move. :rolleyes:

Soldato
MOT won't check any of the items that could be failing.

Simple place to start is check all fuses. Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn the ignition on?

Was it running rough or just not starting?

Associate
OP
start

MOT won't check any of the items that could be failing.

Simple place to start is check all fuses. Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn the ignition on?

Was it running rough or just not starting?

Just not starting very well, like the starter was struggling top turn, now its even struggling more, but when I connected a jump it turns less sluggishly but still doesn't start the engine.

Soldato
Sounds like it could just be the battery, if its got a failed battery when you jump it it'll only just about start. Get a multimeter on the battery, if its anything below 12volts it's knackered and will need replacing as once they lose their charge there's no way get get it back.

Soldato
That's a bit of a wasteful attitude. Maybe he can't afford to drop thousands on a newer car? Even if the car is only worth £500, who cares, it's his car, and if it needs £500 spending to fix it (and cars do need fixing occasionally, whether they're 1 year old or 16 years old), that's cheaper than a new car and a far better bet than buying another random £500 unknown vehicle. Perhaps this is the only real failure it's had?

OP, try a known good battery. If it still doesn't start then you need to check for fuel (can you hear the fuel pump prime from the back when you turn the ignition on?) and spark, and then it could be some sort of sensor.

Soldato
It's old... after this problem there'll be another, then another, and so on.... until eventually the bill to fix it is more than its value.

Of course it's worth checking, as if it's just a battery that's not quite the same thing.

So what if its old? You can buy a new car and have endless amounts of issue.

I can also bet my life that Almera is far more reliable, then any new Nissan, Audi, BMW, Toyota, Ford etc.

OP I would suggest getting a new battery, they are not to much, especially on an Almera.

Associate
It's old... after this problem there'll be another, then another, and so on.... until eventually the bill to fix it is more than its value.

Of course it's worth checking, as if it's just a battery that's not quite the same thing.

So your advice to go and buy a new car :confused: He could potentially fix this with a £50 battery and have no problems for a long time, especially as its a Nissan.

I think it sounds like battery, does the starter motor keep turning when trying trying to start? or Just turnover a couple of times and then stop?

Associate
Check the battery voltage, should be 12v, also make sure the battery terminals and cables are corrosion free and clean, and also check for the same thing on the starter.

Go from there :)

Associate
As others have said, its most likely the battery.

You could have potentially flooded the engine. It happened to my rents old Micra Mk2 randomly (after being a solid bomb proof car for like 10 years).

Soldato
I would do as others have said, check the battery and replace if needed. But if that works, test the battery when the car is running to see if the alternator is doing it's job properly. Could be buggered as well.

Back
Top Bottom