No backplate holes in motherboard

Soldato
OP
Also where there should be holes for any cpu back plate to be installed there are none, where the holes should be are indicated but there is no hole

Soldato
Intel X79 Express motherboards fit only socket LGA2011 desktop processors and no other, which also means that a new mounting bracket is required for older CPU coolers. At the time of this writing many of the most popular heatsink manufacturers were offering free LGA2011 mounting kits for previous customers, so users may not need to purchase a new heatsink. There have also been a few adapter kits that replace the mounting system with an older LGA1366 or LGA1156 retention bracket. Based on how large the new Intel Core-i7 CPU and LGA2011 backplate are, it seems unlikely that these adapters will offer the same levels of support or coverage. Additionally, some heatsinks were designed to take advantage of DIMM sockets on one side of the motherboard. The inclusion of four additional DIMM sockets could mean that large heatsinks will not work with X79 Express motherboards.

from a review site.

The connectors appear to be on the metal surround to the socket.

Last edited:
Associate
looking at the pics of the x79 does your board not have these holes? the ones circled red

dnrfioudzmupdqnq500.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
just had a look around and this was posted on some website back in january

Antec announced today that it is giving away free socket LGA2011 brackets for existing owners of its Kuhler H2O 920 and Kuhler H2O 620 closed-loop CPU water coolers. The two were released before Intel launched its new socket, and so there are large stocks in the market that lack LGA2011 brackets. To avail this offer, existing owners have to write to [email protected] with a proof of purchase of their product, and shipping address. Antec also announced that it has started bundling the LGA2011 bracket with all fresh batches of Kuhler H2O 920 and Kuhler H2O 620, which will start shipping from its factories in February.

looks like you may have one from a batch where the 2011 brackets arent included

Soldato
OP
Perfect.... I really needed it up and running by Monday and now looks like I'm going to have to pick up another cooler and RMA this one asap

Associate
Hopefully its just a case of you need some longer m4 screws to mount the cooler. i don't have an x79 board so i don't have first hand experience of fitting a cooler to one. hopefully somebody with an x79 board may be able to pitch in with some advice so you can use the cooler and have your system up and running asap.

Soldato
Assuming you bought from OcUK, create a customer services thread. OcUK may have some stock with the fittings and rather than RMA they may be able to send them out to you? Obviously I've no idea if that's possible or not, but it's worth a try.

I assume you didn't get the retail CPU and got the OEM?

Back
Top Bottom