No claims bonus

Associate
Hi

I have my Mod 1 this afternoon, Go me.

I also have 12 years no claims bonus that's not currently attached to any car. Is it possible to transfer this so I can use it on a motorbike(when I get one)

Thanks.

Man of Honour
In general no, although they'll happily take into account any accident you've had on a car when quoting for bike insurance :rolleyes:

Some insurers may offer to take it but you'll have to call them to find out but it's not common.

Soldato
No, they're not transferable.

Though you say they're not currently attached to a car, how long for? You can lose them after not having car insurance for a period of time.

Man of Honour
There is no hard and fast rule it depends on the insurer.

For example I was running some quotes for car insurance and the wording Admiral use is along the lines of "How many years no claims do you hold that have been gained from using a privately owned vehicle".

There is no way they can argue that that wording excludes me from using my bike NCB on a car policy and in good faith I could declare my NCB gained from riding. Which is all that is needed when answering insurance questions, unless it is specifically stated in the question then you're good even if it then turns out buried in 100 pages of fine print they've squeezed in their definition of "Private vehicle" somehow excludes bikes.

Soldato
My insurer asks about my car no claims but I don't think it goes towards any sort of discount. I haven't actually ever asked though. I am with BikeSure. Worth asking I reckon but as above I doubt you'll be able to transfer NCB between vehicles.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
The insurer I was with, said they can transfer NCB from my car to the bike. But not the other way round, did something change? hmm?

Back
Top Bottom