No m.2 sata slot

Soldato
Firstly I'm super out the loop.

Secondly at some point I need to upgrade my pc but that's several months away but I do have a pressing need for some more storage.

My current mb doesn't have a m.2 slot, whatat are my options here to future proof? I've seen there is such an animal as a pcie adapter but is it worth considering over a normal SSD?

This is for an installation of windows 10 that I need to dual boot with windows 7. All help appreciated.

Soldato
Yes you can use a PCI-E adaptor, however it will likely not allow you to boot from NVMe due to the motherboard not supporting it. I managed to get it working on an older Z77 board by modifying the BIOS, it was a case of adding the NVMe boot drivers. But not something that should be dine unless you know what you are doing.

My advice would be to use a SATA SSD (perfectly quick enough for nearly everyone anyway), or upgrade your system to something that supports NVMe. M.2 SATA drives offer nothing over a conventional 2.5" SATA SSD in terms of performance.

Associate
I'd be tempted to get a decent sized SATA SSD to use and then you can always get a fast NVMe when you upgrade your system in the future and then use the SATA SSD as a secondary storage drive.

Associate
Just get a ssd drive the speeds are close enough.

If you still want the nvme then you can get nvme to sata adapter's but i have only used the m.2 sata ones so not sure if the nvme ones work.

Soldato
Thanks for the speedy replies chaps, I shall just grab an SSD :)
Just remember there's no need to pay Samsung's brand overprices.
They want to leach NVMe's price from SATA drive and TLC drive's price from QLC drive.
Crucial MX500 and WD Blue 3D are well priced TLC Flash SATA drives.

Back
Top Bottom