No nails used on roof install?

Soldato
Roofer is currently doing our reroof i have noticed he isnt nailing any tiles down? I asked him about it and he says the dont need tobe cos there interlocking concrete. Product is quinn rathmore. Is he right?

Soldato
Based on the picture here they have 2 holes in the top for nails and only interlock on the sides, ie they could still slide down unless nailed. Having said that they could have a lip underneath (I think there might be a lip not visible in the image) that sits over the wood battens to 'stop slippage' (ours have).

We've got some similar to it in red (thicker too based on image) and they were nailed as well, it wasn't every single tile irrc but they're definitely not just stuck up their using gravity.

edit: This is a good read :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yes theres a lip to stop slippage, told him wasnt happy with no nails so hes gonna lift the tiles and put some in for peace of mind.

Just reading the install manual on quinns website and it doesnt mention nails at all.
Hes gonna take picures as well too to prove hes done it.

Last edited:
Associate
Just reading the install manual on quinns website and it doesnt mention nails at all.

It does say which size of nails to use in the table at the end.
It doesn't as you say recommend what frequency they should be nailed.
I would go with the advice given earlier in the link posted by lsg1r.

Soldato
OP
The forman has had a look at the tiles already on the roof and hes not happy with a couple of off centre ones that his crew have done so hes taking them all off and redoing it which is a good time to nail them down if you ask me.

Soldato
Every row doesn't need nailing. We usually nail the bottom row, then every 3rd row, the two top rows at the ridge and every tile and half tile at the verges.

If you nailed every row it would be a nightmare when it comes to replace facias etc.

Back
Top Bottom