1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No road tax question.

Discussion in 'Motors' started by ElliorR, Aug 29, 2014.

1. ElliorR

Sgarrista

You lot know what you're talking about so a quick question Can/will the police seize a vehicle for no road tax?

I'm getting a new bike on 1st October trading in my current bike. Unfortunately my current bikes road tax runs out 30th September. The dealer is about 16 miles from my home and ideally I'd just do the 25 mins there on the morning of the 1st and get my new bike but obviously I don't want to get the bike taken off me.

Obviously I could just tax it for 6 months and then I'll get parts thereof back under the new system or I could take it down the day before and get a lift home and then back there again the next day.

I know, I should just pay the tax, considering 6 months for my bike is only £44 and I'll get some of it back, but my parents were northern so I try to be tight where possible. This is what I'll probably do anyway as I'm a good chap but damn, 16 bloody miles.

2. jak731

Soldato

1 day will be fine.

3. chillidog

Gangster

Can/will the police seize a vehicle for no road tax? in simple terms yes they could if you get a pc blob who had an bad day.
    Worst case, yes - the police can detect you don't have tax via automatic number plate cameras, and pull you over, you would get a £80(?) fine.
    so which is best £44 or £80.

4. MooMoo444

Caporegime

Drop the bike off on the 30th and get the bus home?

5. snapdragon69

Hitman

If you're chopping the old bike in, then I'd just ride it there, it will only be 8 hours after midnight or something.

6. Gaygle

Capodecina

In the real world, no one is going to seize your car for not having a valid tax disc. You would get a £100 ticket though from the DVLA.

7. Paul N

Gangster

The fact is they can, but the question is would you take the risk. Personally I would. yolo

8. neoboy

Capodecina

Well this just reminded me that my tax disc that I ordered online 2 weeks ago through DVLA never arrived and runs out Monday!

9. SexyGreyFox

Man of Honour

Since there is no such thing as road tax then you will be OK.

10. Millwall.FC

Wise Guy

Pedantic.

11. mattyg

Soldato

Yeah he should have said vehicle tax

12. William-Mathew

Hitman

Never seen the police seize a car for not having tax they just give out fines

13. kefkef

Mobster

Wasn't a biker on one of the motorway cops program the other night. He couldn't afford his tax, it ran out at midnight and he was driving the bike home when he got stopped 5hrs after it ran out. They gave him a fine and put the bike on a low loader where he had to pay a couple of hundred quid to get it back also?

Either drive it down when it's still valid or put some vehicle tax and claim it back, your £44 loses the £4 surcharge for 6 month, so you'll get back 5/6ths of £40, so £33.33. So a tenner to balance against the risk of getting caught?

14. miniyazz

Soldato

I'd probably risk it, but wouldn't moan if I got caught.
    Alternatively depending on the journey etc I might consider parking it up at the garage the night before.

15. troops

Wise Guy

I would take it the day before.

16. Quartz

Soldato

Yes, take it in the day before.

Don't forget that if you have not paid the Vehicle Excise Duty you will be uninsured.

Actually, you're buying from a dealer. I'd be very surprised if the dealer were not willing to bring the bike to you. Then the dealer's agent can ride your old bike - now their bike - back to the dealer on their trade plates.

17. r22snapper

Hitman

Well that's not true.

If it was me I would do it and if pulled (unlikely) I would hope a combination of a receipt and passing the "attitude test" would see me right.

18. haaammit

Mobster

This is beyond boring now. Yes, you are correct, but to drive a vehicle on a road you need VED so it is entirely acceptable to refer to it as road tax - a tax that lets you drive on the road :rolleyes:

19. ElliorR

Sgarrista

For the sake of 1/6 of £44, apparently I'll get all full unused months back when I transfer the bike to the dealer, and for the peace of mind it'll give me, I'll get 6 months ROAD TAX.

20. miniyazz

Soldato

At least get a year's tax! :p