No signal to monitors

Associate
Before I start i have checked the sticked thread but haven't found a solution.

Added some components to my build and my PC boots but I get nothing on my monitors. I've check the cables are connected, tried the onboard graphics card as opposed to my GPU, have tried different cables as well as both my monitors.

MSI Tomahawk B350
NVIDIA GTX 760
Corsair CX600
Ryzen 1600x

Soldato
Ryzen 1600x does not have onboard graphics.

Have you tried a cmos reset?

Try removing the cmos battery and while unplugged, cycle the power switch a few times.

Is this an existing windows installation or a bare drive on a new build?

Reseat the gfx card and the memory sticks.

Start with only one monitor.

Associate
OP
Just tried resetting the cmos battery,reseated gpu and ram and plugged one monitor in but didnt work.

I have two HDD. One which i was using prior to adding the new components which i left as is and another i had issues reinstalling windows on after inserting windows CD and reformatting the drive a few weeks ago. Currently have the latter connected and have tried the other.

Associate
OP
I tried using a nvidia GT 710. It is much shorter than the PCI slot but fits in. Fan didnt start spinning and no signal on monitor.

Motherboard was gigabyte ga-h55m-ud2h.
i3 processor.

Last edited:
Soldato
As an experiment, try the gfx card in the lower PCIE-16 slot.

It is looking a lot like the motherboard to me though assuming that you have all the power connections properly made. It could be the PSU also.

Associate
OP
As an experiment, try the gfx card in the lower PCIE-16 slot.

It is looking a lot like the motherboard to me though assuming that you have all the power connections properly made. It could be the PSU also.

Tried in the other pci slot but it didnt work.

Is it possible a cable has come lose inside the psu, could i open it and look?

I will try tonight building it outside of the case. If it works, what does that tell me?

Associate
OP
One Iiyama and one Acer. Tried the cable with the white connecter and a HDMI canle but dont have the one of the cables with a blue connector.

I'm thinking it might be the 8 pin power cable that connects to the top left of the mobo. It splits into 2 4 pin connectors. I use 1 4 pin for my old mobo and 2 of them for my new one. If one of the 4 pin connectors were broken would this prevent enough power getting to the pci slots?

Associate
One Iiyama and one Acer. Tried the cable with the white connecter and a HDMI canle but dont have the one of the cables with a blue connector.

I'm thinking it might be the 8 pin power cable that connects to the top left of the mobo. It splits into 2 4 pin connectors. I use 1 4 pin for my old mobo and 2 of them for my new one. If one of the 4 pin connectors were broken would this prevent enough power getting to the pci slots?

Sorry for the late reply - Potentially yes, I was thinking it could be a digital>analogue signal issue but seeing as you tried HDMI too that rules that out. Could you try a different PSU potentially?

Associate
OP
You've said you have an old rig - you wouldn't happen to be trying to run a VGA/DVI monitor on a DisplayPort socket would you?
I have tried a DVI and HDMI cable to the GPU on my new setup. On my old one I have tried a DVI to the motherboard, GPU, and tried a different GPU.
Sorry for the late reply - Potentially yes, I was thinking it could be a digital>analogue signal issue but seeing as you tried HDMI too that rules that out. Could you try a different PSU potentially?

I do not have a spare one and can't get a hold of one but have found a refurbished 650w Corsair for £40 so might risk buying that.

Associate
Added some components to my build and my PC boots but I get nothing on my monitors.
My guess is you've run out of memory available to oprom for the card to initialise. If you take stuff out does it work again? Can you go in the BIOS and disable net oprom/net booting, and any other hardware you are not using like serial, parallel, firewire ports etc.
First time I hit this was when adding 5 x 2 port gig nics to an old server several years ago. Only 2 of them got initialised.

Back
Top Bottom