Noctua NH-U12F anyone has?

Soldato
HeX said:
Better than a Scythe Ninja apparently.
Nope :)
Inferior to the ninja, hr01 and ultra 120. The fan however is about the best quiet fan you can get in terms of airflow to noise ratio, but its expensive and it doesn't perform well when fixed to a heatsink.

Soldato
HeX said:
Hmm interesting. They used different fans, whereas spcr used the same low speed reference fan. So with the same fan the ninja is better.
It could be that as airflow increases the gap between them closes.

Although i would have thought the stock noctua fan would give less airflow than the stock ninja one...

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Although i would have thought the stock noctua fan would give less airflow than the stock ninja one...

Both 1200rpm models but the noctua uses they new design which seems to push aruond 15% more air at the same speed.

Soldato
Raikiri said:
Both 1200rpm models but the noctua uses they new design which seems to push around 15% more air at the same speed.
However the noctua also reportedly performs badly on a heatsink compared to in open air... i suppose even then it could still be giving 5% more airflow and that's enough to sway it in favour of the noctua heatsink...

Soldato
cavemanoc said:
Surely all fans will perform worse when attached to a heatsink? (flow/noise)
Yes, but apparently because the noctua has been optimised for high airflow at low speeds it doesn't work as well with a heatsink as it does in free air, and that difference is far more pronounced than with other fans.

Associate
OP
heh intresting :D , however if someone will get it or has it already,plz be so kinda and share your information, how great or bad it does perform !

cheers vai

Associate
cavemanoc said:
Surely all fans will perform worse when attached to a heatsink? (flow/noise)

some will perform "worse" than others to the point of moving no air at all while some will hardly be affected.

manufacturers like to quote cfm - cubic feet per minute, but the other important specification of a fan is its static pressure. an extreme example would be that if you covered a fan completely it might be sufficient to stall it because it doesn't have the pressure to overcome the obstacle, while another may develop enough static pressure to blow the blockage away and continue moving the same amount of air.

No fan will blow a heatsink away, but some will perform well, developing enough pressure to blow air between closely spaced fins while others will move very much less. Generally given similar power figures and efficiencies it is a trade off between cfm & static pressure so good fans are therefore designed to do a specific job.

I use 2 Noctuas as case fans and find them to be more effective used in this manner - to move more air in an unrestricted environment.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom