Noise Cancelling Headphones in the Office

Soldato
I'm currently tempted by either the apple airpods (general use, running etc) or some Bose QC35. I struggle to focus in the office when it gets noisey and it'd be nice to just zone out with those on. I have some Shure 415s (or 25s) but I find them too uncomfortable for long periods.

Also..not sure if it's best totally block out noise in the office as it could be a pain for anyone trying to grab my attention.

Any opinions on the bose set?

Soldato
A few folk in the office wear noise cancelling headphones and to be honest they make them look like a Cyberman from Doctor Who! It's funny when folk disturb them and the first thing they ask is what are you listening to? The answer "Nothing" causes great confusion.

Perhaps you don't have the right inserts for your Shure's?

Be careful using noise cancelling headphones if you ever work in the office alone, you won't hear your phone ring or the fire alarm...

Associate
I have the Bose QC35 and they are fantastic. I use them in an open plan office but luckily I look out across the office so I can see people coming over to speak to me as I would not hear them if they tried to talk to me from behind. They are seriously good when flying as well. On a recent trip home from Vegas, I put them on without music just to block out the engine noise which they do amazingly.

Previously I had the Westone W40 and I found them uncomfortable after long periods so i swapped to the QC35. I would go and try a set at a Bose store. I recommend trying a track by Kaasi called Those Days.

Man of Honour
How noisy is your office to need noise cancelling?!

I use IEMs in the office and they give enough isolation without sticking me in a total bubble.

Associate
Where I work, we have approximately 60-70 people. It allows me to have the music at lower levels as the NC cancels out the sneezing, coughing, talking etc :)

I did also try the Bose QC30 but the NC was not anywhere near as good, however the QC30 allows you to adjust the amount of NC you want to use.

Soldato
How noisy is your office to need noise cancelling?!

I use IEMs in the office and they give enough isolation without sticking me in a total bubble.

Depends on the office and the work you're doing! The company I work for has expanded from just doing support, to my side of the business which does development and we're still in the same open plan office, so you get the noise and rabble of support while trying to program - noise cancelling is a must.

If you want ultimate noise cancelling, get some in-ear ones. I have the SoundMagic E10C and people have to physically get my attention if they want something :D

Associate
I have a pair of Sony MDR-1000X. Excellent sound quality and noise cancelling. There are buttons that intoduce more ambiant sound if you need to hear other things when listening. Blue tooth AptX. Maybe not quite as comfortable as the Bose but not far off. Good battery life as well and easy to drive.

Back
Top Bottom