Noisy fan dell optiplex mff

Associate
I'm using a Dell optiplex 7050 mff (cpu i5 7500t) and the cpu cooling fan is quite noisy never stops spinning. I thought when idling/low-power it'd be mostly passive like a laptop but not with this one.

I checked bios but there is no fan-mode settings option (contrary to the online manual). Tried Fancontrol in windows but it didn't even detect the fan.

I've cleaned fan and heatsink and reapplied new noctua paste. The fan housing clicks into place but isn't 100% secure (plastic mounts) and I found that I could reduce vibrations with a bit of card to apply pressure which helped a little.

Temps in hwmonitor show cpu is cool around 39c.

I've tried setting windows power settings to Power Saver with max cpu speed reduced but the fan is still always on. At this point I'd just settle for reducing the rpm..

Last edited:
Associate
Do you have the dell drivers installed and updated if you go to the dell website just google dell 7050 drivers, get on the page and click the auto check button it will download an app and scan the pc and tell you what drivers and firmware can be updated after that you can uninstall their driver checking app if you want
Edit to add- there is a bios setting in some dells to make the fan stay on all the time its worth checking how its set in the bios

Back
Top Bottom