Noisy, noisy, noisy exhausts!

Soldato
Hello Bikers, please don't hit me :D

Now the weather has turned nice a seasonal plague has returned to my pleasant shores: that of massively noisy bikes. Let me first say that I'm not against bikers at all and wouldn't mind owning one in future and I understand that sometimes the whole point of owning a bike is for the feel and sound of the gravelly engine, but some that regularly go past my home are massively, massively loud. There is a quad bike in particular that really takes the biscuit. I can't really describe what its like other than to say that it shakes the house and makes me shout naughty words (not that anyone hears them over the racket!). It's like Concord roaring past at 200ft. It's lovely at 4am, too. Anyway...

How can they not think of the kids and babies they distress as they thunder past?
Have they modified their exhausts to get them this loud?
Most importantly: what's the law on this? Do you guys thinks it's worth me getting some number plates and reporting them to the police?

Just to be clear: this thread is about the loudest ones, not your everyday bike. Thanks for reading.

Matt

Associate
Wear a helmet and ear plugs, not so loud then!!

Seriously though, I know what you mean, there's a lad around here thats always blatting about on a little 50cc thing that you can hear half a mile away. Just seems the police only stop and chack bikes outside towns (where most of them are) so dont see/hear the nuisance ones.

Soldato
OP
Hope you post the same message in the car forum then ?

I was considering it but thought the mods would clean it away. Anyway, I'd say about 90% of the noisy ones here are bikes and certainly the worst offenders are bikes. Like I said above, this isn't about bike-hatred :D

Associate
I take it you havent heard a scooby having the **** revved off it then ?

Louder than any bike exhaust I have ever heard ?

I will agree that some bikes can be loud but if its noise and anti social behaviour we are talking about then cars can be just as bad.

Soldato
if its mega loud then it might be an aprilia. ;) mine was DEAFENING! lol

mate says he could hear me before i got within a mile of he town and he'd have the kettle boiled by the time i'd sopped lol.

ear plugs are a definite! lol

Soldato
How can they not think of the kids and babies they distress as they thunder past?

They don't - It actually upsets me to see young kids cover their ears as they see me approaching because they expect their ears to be blasted. It is inconsiderate and it's not doing bikers any favours.

Have they modified their exhausts to get them this loud?

Yes either by removing the baffles which make the silencers legal or by replacing the original legal exhausts with illegal ones.

Most importantly: what's the law on this? Do you guys thinks it's worth me getting some number plates and reporting them to the police?

If the noise is loud enough to cause you a problem then it is being made by a vheicle with an illegal exhaust. However if you expect the police to do anything about it - good luck with that.

Soldato
Report them, hopefully they will get a Section 59 for it. Takes the **** really riding with a mega loud pipe in the middle of the night through residential streets.

Soldato
Depends what you call loud really. I like a nice loud can, but some of the cans available now are stupid, mainly those little tiny stubby GP style ones that people then fit to big sports bikes that were loud to start with. They're deafening on tickover, so when they're being thrashed it's just insane how loud they are.

Back
Top Bottom