Noisy, noisy, noisy exhausts!

Associate
my baffles keep falling out, can't help it oscifer cunstabubble

Baffles what baffles;) . 1st line of defense. fitted a couple of weeks ago . full race system :cool:

001-6.jpg

At low revs still quiet , ish. screems like a banshee past 10,000 rpm . But when poodling rountd town never need more than 5-6000 rpm so everyone is happy

Soldato
Did you see the thing in PB with their loaner S1000??? Full race kit Akro, PCIII (iirc), mirrors removed and everything duct taped up...managed an average of i think it was 201 or 202 mph (over two runs) at a Straighliners event...
:D

Didn't see it, but heard about it, absolutely insane! Don't think I'll have the balls for that mind lol. Will get a Akro kit and PC-V though probably, hoping BMW can at least fit the cans, as I should be able to throw them into the tax-free purchase then :D.

GiT

GiT

Associate
I live on a main road and have loud bikes going past all the time, tbh i love it! Makes me want to get up at 4am and troll round the streets at 12k rpm ;)

Its all about where you live really, not saying "tough", just saying you have to expect it. Like I prefer the chav car/bike exhaust noises to their bottles being smashed on the road. Live near a town/city, expect loudness in one way or another. The good weather brings the best out in the brits.

Associate
^^ This!

On the way from Romford to the City this morning, a blip on the throttle as i change down made a fool in Ford Focus stop his phone call long enough to realise he was cutting into my lane, that and the "leaning on the horn to attract his attention".

I'd like to know how many people in this thread ACTUALLY ride daily and I dont mean "weekend when its dry" warriors.

Same actually. I use my bike 24/7. Drop down to a 125 manual for the winter when things get slippier.

yes, thats a good idea, I'm gonna ride through traffic with finger on horn all the time :D

I do this most days. :) Rush hour traffic is a game of it's own. :D Horn use is underrated imho. I use it as often as I do indicators in the town.

Permabanned
I'll reciprocate what's been said so far really...

I like hearing the engine & exhaust note - so I like a can without a baffle ;)

Also... it's just that little bit extra to get you noticed a little bit sooner... every little helps when you're out on these roads... the amount of idiots who just don't look.

I don't, however, go screaming around at 4am in a residential neighbourhood... I'll always keep in a high gear/low rpm in that situation.

Associate
My bike is loud. Not silly loud but theres no baffles.

I will not be changing this without massive reason due to the fact it DOES serve as said, an active defense against people not paying attention.

Ive yet to receive a complaint about it to date. Its a must. I see cyclists daily nearly getting run down due to not being easily visible or audible. I will not fall willingly into this category

Associate
I totally agree with banning the Harley open pipes.....and Ducati's and Aprilia's and anything that is Italian or American - That's personal hatred of those bikes though. :D

The most quiet exhaust I've heard so far is on my 2007 BMW R1200R - The noise of the tappets is louder than the exhaust.

So I replaced it with a nice Leovince and it is louder, but still not what I'd call bad.

As far as I'm concerned the louder I am the better - When you're on a bright yellow bike wearing a perfectly clean high-vis vest and a van pulls into the side of you, you quickly realise that you need every advantage you can get. People get complacent when driving steadily at the speed limit for an extended period and I don't want to hit the ground again because "I didn't even notice you mate."

HOWEVER I will not defend scrotes riding around on scooters with no sound dampening material in their exhausts, or those idiots who put straight through pipes on 600's & 1000's and ride around town in 2nd gear.

So, in summary, noise limits should be put in place in residential areas between 2200hrs until 0700hrs, punishable by 2 penalty points and a £60 fine or for repeated offenders mandatory restrictors in their exhaust to cap them to half their RPM range. For balance, we should completely remove noise restrictions in non built up areas, so I can finally put a megaphone on my 250 hornet and act like I've got a formula 1 engine in my bike (20000rpm makes a lovely note) :D

Back
Top Bottom