Nokia 6. Plus a possible Nokia 9.

Soldato
Nokia will be releasing their mid range phone. In July possibly. No confirmed price but it's rumoured to be around £230. For that money you get quite a decent phone.
https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-6
Specs:
5.5" 1080p LCD screen
SD430
3GB ram
32GB storage with Micro SD card support
16MP camera
3000mah battery
Solid aliminium build.
Stock Android 7.1.1 and Nokia have promised regular updates.
Nokia-6_Beautyshot_zpsatjyed6q.png

nokia-6-5_zps0tv5jaep.jpg

Looks rather nice IMO.

Plus there is supposed to be a Nokia 9 out later this year with an SD835, 6-8gb ram, QHD display and a much better camera.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The Nokia 8 and 9 are the ones phone enthusiasts are looking for. Expect edge to edge display as is the norm for flagships now and dual camera with dual pixel AF at the least and OIS. I expect the cameras to be excellent as this is what Nokia are good at.

If the 9 looks anything like the renders that cropped up over the last few months, it's sure to be a winner. I hope Nokia bake in some OEM features too, as bare stock Android is quite limited still compared to what other OEMs like Sony/LG/Samsung put in, often way ahead of Google, which Google then implement one or two Android versions down the line.

Soldato
OP
The Nokia 8 and 9 are the ones phone enthusiasts are looking for. Expect edge to edge display as is the norm for flagships now and dual camera with dual pixel AF at the least and OIS. I expect the cameras to be excellent as this is what Nokia are good at.

If the 9 looks anything like the renders that cropped up over the last few months, it's sure to be a winner. I hope Nokia bake in some OEM features too, as bare stock Android is quite limited still compared to what other OEMs like Sony/LG/Samsung put in, often way ahead of Google, which Google then implement one or two Android versions down the line.

I've seen a few renders and hope the phone looks like them as well. But after the OP5 and the "leaked" renders I'm cautiously optimistic. Camera is rumoured to be a 23mp Zeiss sensor.
I also hope they add a few features to Android like OP do. Keeping it stock with no skin is great but, like you say, it is limited. Still, I'd take complete stock over a heavily skinned version like some OEMs have.
If it looks anything like either of these renders I'd be happy
nokia92_zps9wa2ux1f.jpg

nokia9_zps4stgkyzm.jpg

nokia94_zpsf9rci3v0.jpg

Soldato
The Nokia 3 and 5 went up for pre-order on Amazon UK today. Think I may get the 5 because I am incredibly undecided what to buy at the moment. I think the Pixel 2 will be worth waiting for, although the potential price scares me.

I hope the 8 and 9 don't take too long to be released...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The Nokia 3 and 5 went up for pre-order on Amazon UK today. Think I may get the 5 because I am incredibly undecided what to buy at the moment. I think the Pixel 2 will be worth waiting for, although the potential price scares me.

I hope the 8 and 9 don't take too long to be released...

The 8 & 9 are reportedly going to be announced late July/early August with a September release. Q3 release has been mentioned a few times

Soldato
The 8 & 9 are reportedly going to be announced late July/early August with a September release. Q3 release has been mentioned a few times

Well the 3 and 5 were supposed to released in Q2, but will only be available from 12 and 19 July respectively so I'm not holding my breath.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmmm well turns out the rumoured specs weren't quite accurate.

3090mAh battery, IP57 (?) only, 64GB storage with mSD only, no wireless charging, the killer camera feature hinted at is only a split view mode that uses both front and back cameras which other phones already have (dual camera mode on Samsung devices).

Soldato
Hmmm well turns out the rumoured specs weren't quite accurate.

3090mAh battery, IP57 (?) only, 64GB storage with mSD only, no wireless charging, the killer camera feature hinted at is only a split view mode that uses both front and back cameras which other phones already have (dual camera mode on Samsung devices).
Is it ziess lens/optics, from my 5mp Sony camera days I have much hope for this?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yes it does use Zeiss optics. That's the saving grace I guess. The camera photos will no doubt have very little flare from the sun, and really good sharpness.

It's not enough for me to want one, especially with no proper IPX rating or wireless charging. Hopefully a Nokia 9 is in the works.

Man of Honour
Is that the flagship one or is there one above taht Which hasn't been announced yet?
I want a next jump on camera technology and a 5000+ battery, ipx and Forward facing speakers. That combined with stock android and quick releases should be great.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
That is the current flagship and previously it was rumoured there would also be a higher end flagship dubbed the 9, and some say this is the one that will have a bezel-free display etc.

If you want front facing stereo speakers, then the Pixel 2 is the one you want to be looking at, and that /should/ be IP68 rated as well.

It's now on the full site: https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-8

The OZO audio recording really is great, but the video quality itself just shows the shortfall in the sensor pixel size compared to larger pixel size cameras (pixel/iPhone7/galaxy etc).

Last edited:
Caporegime
Looks like the 6 will be my next phone. It's been 7 years since I had a Nokia, and I've missed them!

the killer camera feature hinted at is only a split view mode that uses both front and back cameras which other phones already have (dual camera mode on Samsung devices).

My HTC One Max has it too. Built into the HTC camera app.

Caporegime
The 6 has performance issues. I've seen it reported in a few places.

I've seen that too, but it only has 'performance issues' if you're a power user running heavy apps. I'm not a power user (I don't even play games) and the 6's performance is superior to my HTC One Max, which has a bigger screen and suffers from occasional lag.

I'll visit a shop and check it out in person before committing, but right now I can't see anything to worry about.

Back
Top Bottom