Nokia N97 or HTC Touch Pro 2...which to get??

Soldato
So its been new phone time for a hell of a long time and i have pretty much narrowed it down to these to.
To compare the two:
phones.jpg

Picture comparisons:
http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/mobilephones/0,39050603,62054701-2,00.htm

After reading this review (click) I think I am more tempted by the HTC Touch Pro 2 (although the review was done before the last software update for the Nokia). However the only drawbacks are the lack of internal storage capacity but im guessing it can take a 16gb microsd, I would really like 32gb internal with a 16gb card (for all my music and a few videos and what not), and the inferior camera to the Nokia.
Review in a nutshell:
HTC wins on looks (larger screen, higher res)
HTC wins on navigation (fantastic keyboard, more responsive, touch flo 3D interface)
Nokia wins on features (has everything the HTC has but with 5mp camera, 32gb internal storage)
HTC wins on Web browsing and multimedia (windows media player, offers both Opera and IE, multi touch screen)

I think that covers most things, unless i have missed a few important points?

And before people say the best thing to do is to just go out and test them both out there is no where round here that stocks the HTC :(
If I was to buy the phone off the internet could I return it after say a couple of days if i'm really not happy with it?

Thanks,

Flare

Last edited:
Caporegime
Neither... the Nokia N900 is about to be released with a screen, OS and CPU (same as in the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3G S) that seem significantly more advanced. The N97 is a flawed device based on an ancient OS that while flexible, is not easy to get around... and the Touch Pro 2 is also based on an old CPU and WMO.

Specs and website here http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Neither... the Nokia N900 is about to be released with a screen, OS and CPU (same as in the Palm Pre and the iPhone 3G S) that seem significantly more advanced. The N97 is a flawed device based on an ancient OS that while flexible, is not easy to get around... and the Touch Pro 2 is also based on an old CPU and WMO.

Specs and website here http://maemo.nokia.com/n900/

ooo, looks very nice. although it is more expensive, doesnt have a tilt screen and the keyboard doesn't look as good (and tiny) as the HTC (my first impressions)

Caporegime
The kayboard may not be as good, but it's still good... and the hardware and OS (from what i've seen) is better imo. I'll be picking one up for crimbo.

Soldato
OP
It's released in October, not long to go.

Yeah I know but I was hoping to get a new phone today. I've been wanting a new phone and a contract for so long I just wanted to get it done.

*edit* and is it not more of a computer with phone capabilities?

Last edited:
Caporegime
No probs, it's your money. :)

Out of the two in the OP it really does depend what your needs are... if you're a more business and profesisonal oriented person the Touch Pro 2 is better, but if you want a jack-of-all -trades devices that's a little mroe socially oriented go for the N97. They are both different phones aimed at different markets.

Soldato
OP
No probs, it's your money. :)

Out of the two in the OP it really does depend what your needs are... if you're a more business and profesisonal oriented person the Touch Pro 2 is better, but if you want a jack-of-all -trades devices that's a little mroe socially oriented go for the N97. They are both different phones aimed at different markets.

I'm not a business orientated person as a general the HTC seems better.
The other thing is that I would like a phone that could save me not having a laptop for when I start travelling, the N900 fits the bill in that sense seen as it is essentially a small computer with phone capabilities.

One reservation i have about the N900 is what are the chances that the same thing happens to the N900 as the N97...lots of hype but turned out to be a very poor phone at release with lots of bugs and what not?

Last edited:
Associate
i have the n97. I'm typing on it now. I deliberated for ages but i loved my 95 8gb so took the plunge.

For me it's great, i can browse the web all day long if i so wanted, transmit music to my fm radio, stay in touch anyway i want inc talking! It crashes infrequently, usually because i've overloaded it (it' really underpowered and lacking in system memory) but sometimes there seems to be no reason. I've got two at the moment, one of which is in it's 3rd incarnation but the other has been fine.

I'm hoping a thorough software update will ship eventually which will improve things somewhat.

Caporegime
One reservation i have about the N900 is what are the chances that the same thing happens to the N900 as the N97...lots of hype but turned out to be a very poor phone at release with lots of bugs and what not?

The chances are similar to other new phones that come out with bugs... I don't think any manufacturer is immune.

Soldato
I would say wait for the N900. If not it depends, if you're going to frequently listen to music I would choose the N97 as that has a 3.5mm jack, Touch Pro 2 has not. It may not seem to be a big thing but with my Touch Pro I found it very annoying having to carry the adapter mini usb to 3.5mm adapter around and the damn thing keeps coming loose or breaks easily!

Soldato
I would say wait for the N900. If not it depends, if you're going to frequently listen to music I would choose the N97 as that has a 3.5mm jack, Touch Pro 2 has not. It may not seem to be a big thing but with my Touch Pro I found it very annoying having to carry the adapter mini usb to 3.5mm adapter around and the damn thing keeps coming loose or breaks easily!

i see the opposite. My mini usb can answer calls and changes tracks/volume. i hate having the plain old 3.5mm jack.
I bought some bluetooth headphones for my winmo phone. Best thing ever :D

GeX

GeX

Soldato
[TW]Fox;14934642 said:

i've not used the touch pro 2, but looking at the specs it has a better screen and makes better use of its power (battery capacity is the same, but the touch pro 2 battery claims to last longer, asside from the GSM talktime ?)

Having used an n95 for the past 18months, and using the n97 for a day or so, and having used a WinMO phone quite a lot lately - i'd say go for the touch pro 2.

Soldato
i see the opposite. My mini usb can answer calls and changes tracks/volume. i hate having the plain old 3.5mm jack.
I bought some bluetooth headphones for my winmo phone. Best thing ever :D

I love the plain old 3.5mm loved it when I had an iPhone. Bluetooth headphone is a good idea but Touch Pro don't have the best battery life so that might not be feasible for me.

Back
Top Bottom