Non-Christian dating a Christian

Associate
Its all personal preferance. I have only dated non christians. However, lately I have been thinking about dating Christian guys. Don't put Christian people on peddlestool because they have as much flaws as a non christian. I aint flawless, lol. My friend dated two christian guys, though broke her heart more than non christians as she had expectations.

Associate
calnen said:
It shouldnt be a problem. Christians are supposed to be accepting - as long as you let her practise her faith and are supportive, there's no religious reason why she shouldnt date a non-christian. (Not counting single Bible verses - but if she's the kind of christian that takes the Bible literally you're best steering clear anyway tbh!)

You'd think that, but when I was a Christian there was a large (and disgustingly twisted) emphasis on the opposite school of thought. The idea being that if you're a Christian dating a non-Christian, then sacrifices are going to have to be made in your worship and devotion to God; the fact that there will be two opposing calls in your life. This attitude is so ridiculously flawed and immature it doesn't really deserve apprehension.

The thing is, they targeted this at youngsters by saying at the end of the day you shouldn't marry a non-Christian, so shouldn't date them. There was a resounding ignorance to the concept of dating for fun, not for marriage, and this wasn't even an orthodox Church, it was pretty liberal and that's what's so scary - they patronised these ideas into you in a cult-esque fashion, rather than teaching it through doctrine.

El Gringo said:
You both want to be in a relationship, so where's the big problem? Don't be silly!
Is the attitude that should be taken.

Stay away tbh, the fact that she's a Christian also means she's probably conservative in bed, let alone getting into one in the first place...

Last edited:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
jezsoup said:
They are into sex just as much as the next person, they just arnt into the sex before marriage.....

Ummm, Not all are about sex before marrige.

I was sex when i knew i found the girl i love and could see myself marrying and was certain of it. :o

BTW Jezz what does this mean

Awake, O north wind; and come, thou south; blow upon my garden, that the spices thereof may flow out. Let my beloved come into his garden, and eat his pleasant fruits.'

Is it what i think it means :o

Associate
If she believes and follows what the Bible says, and you truly care about her, then tbh I'd say step away from the thought of dating her. Because if she ever did start going out with you, when you're not a Christian, she would be compromising her faith, and you'd be the one encouraging her to do it. It's not a case of just "respecting her beliefs" - by going out with her you're going against the very beliefs you're "respecting".

Man of Honour
D_Brasted said:
when you're not a Christian, she would be compromising her faith,

How do you know?

All religions are diffrent and he hasn't said which one it is. Also unless you just blindly follow a faith which is utterly pointless and silly. Everyone's beliefs even within the same church will differ slightly.

Associate
me said:
If she believes and follows what the Bible says... she would be compromising her faith...
I know because I'm a Christian who "believes and follows what the Bible says", hence my qualification at the beginning of the post. :D

Soldato
I'm a Christian.

Personally I wouldn't want to to get into a relationship with a non-christian because I really believe that I need a girlfriend who is going to help build me up as a Christian, supporting me and encouraging me to grow. I want to do likewise with her.

I've seen with some of my friends and even within my family that a Christian going out with a non-Christian puts a great strain on the relationship and can lead the Christian to do things contrary to the Bible teaching, even draw them away from the Church entirely.
It does compromise people's faith, I know.

To the OP I'd say this:

If you do start a relationship, please please please don't try to stop her from living as a Christian, or try to get her to do things that go against what she believes.

I'm not saying that you would,
but please be aware that it would put great pressure on her

Soldato
OP
Squark said:
To the OP I'd say this:

If you do start a relationship, please please please don't try to stop her from living as a Christian, or try to get her to do things that go against what she believes.

I'm not saying that you would,
but please be aware that it would put great pressure on her

im not, if anything I've been encouraging her to follow what she believes. I've talked to her about beliefs when she's wanted to, I go to church with her whenever she goes and i'm with her.... etc etc If one of us would change so we could be together, I wouldn't let her be the one to.

Permabanned
psyr33n said:
The thing is, they targeted this at youngsters by saying at the end of the day you shouldn't marry a non-Christian, so shouldn't date them.

And in truth is that honestly a bad thing? Young kids, especially teenagers are very impressionable and will do things just because others are doing it. What is so wrong with tryin to teach the kdis to protect themselves?

Im glad I was taught that it wasnt advisable to get in a relationship with non christians. I went against what I was taught and it came close to me taking things too far, something which I would have regreted. There is zero harm in teaching Christians values, infact its a proven fact Christain teachings lead to less STD's. Abstinance is the only 100% sure form of protection from STD's and would go a long way to helping the wave of teenage pregnancies!

Permabanned
blighter said:
im not, if anything I've been encouraging her to follow what she believes. I've talked to her about beliefs when she's wanted to, I go to church with her whenever she goes and i'm with her.... etc etc If one of us would change so we could be together, I wouldn't let her be the one to.

Your attitude is admirable! How I wish more people were as accepting and understanding of Christians as you are!

Soldato
blighter said:

That's good to hear, thank you for being like that to her.

btw I believe that the verse you quoted in the first post is related more to marriage, but it certainly does apply to relationships too

Associate
D_Brasted said:
I know because I'm a Christian who "believes and follows what the Bible says", hence my qualification at the beginning of the post. :D

But the missionary apostle Paul under certain circumstances would appear to disagree with you.

Permabanned
Zip said:
Ummm, Not all are about sex before marrige.

I was sex when i knew i found the girl i love and could see myself marrying and was certain of it. :o

I am currently with the girl I am going to marry, and yes I want to have sex with her. But I know its right for me to wait till we are married. Everything has its time and place. I believe that sex was something for marriage.

As for the quote, where about is it from?

Last edited:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
DavidMarq said:
But the missionary apostle Paul under certain circumstances would appear to disagree with you.

Yeah but the new pope Thinks im not a "Real" Christain.

The Popes over the years have some bloody stupid ideas.

Man made ideas.

If you want to be a Christain then dont listen to what the pope tells you but whats written in the bible :)

Man of Honour
Zip said:
If you want to be a Christain then dont listen to what the pope tells you but whats written in the bible :)

exactly, the bible says no man is higher than any other man, man cant decide who goes to heaven. It also gives you a basis to decide if messengers from god are real or fake.

Back
Top Bottom