Non-Christian dating a Christian

Soldato
Hey all :)

Firsty, I would like to say hello again after a few months of not being on here (due to various reasons).

The problem I'm facing is that me and this girl want to be in a relationship together. Everything has been going perfectly for us apart from one thing. She is a Christian so it is not exactly right for her to date a non-christian (see the quote below). Was looking for advice really, any would be appreciated :)

Thanks

2 Corinthians 6:14 said:
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

Soldato
You didn't mention if it bothers her at all ?

Besides, most bible verses can be twisted into whatever meaning you want.

Soldato
It shouldnt be a problem. Christians are supposed to be accepting - as long as you let her practise her faith and are supportive, there's no religious reason why she shouldnt date a non-christian. (Not counting single Bible verses - but if she's the kind of christian that takes the Bible literally you're best steering clear anyway tbh!)

Soldato
Unless she's very heavily into religion, I'd not worry too much.
One quote in all the biblical texts shouldnt put off a good relationship, not to mention that they are hardly modern, law based texts concerning a non-biased study into the criminal intentions of christians and non christians, are they?! I think you'll find there's as many 'christians' who covet darkness and wickedness :D

Caporegime
Everything has been going perfectly, apart from this one thing? I tried dating a Christian once, it didn't work. It led to 'problems'.

Does she follow every scripture so strictly in every aspect of her life?

Permabanned
blighter said:
Hey all :)

Firsty, I would like to say hello again after a few months of not being on here (due to various reasons).

The problem I'm facing is that me and this girl want to be in a relationship together. Everything has been going perfectly for us apart from one thing. She is a Christian so it is not exactly right for her to date a non-christian (see the quote below). Was looking for advice really, any would be appreciated :)

Thanks

Either you become a Christian, or she stops being a Christian, or you both just ignore that quote. :)

Paul

Soldato
blighter said:
It does bother her, its the only reason we're not going out. :(

So what? She'll only go out with you if you convert?? :confused: Doesnt sound like a sound basis for a relationship tbh!

I'm about to marry a christian. I'm an ex-christian, long-term agnostic. We've talked through the issues at length and come to a compromise that works for us. There's nothing in conventional christian doctrine (Church of England etc) that says it cant work.

Soldato
OP
Theres also the pressure from her parents and other family - being 17 seems to take that effect sometimes :p

edit:
Platypus said:
Does she follow every scripture so strictly in every aspect of her life?

Shes not a 'strict' christian, as above, its mainly pressure from family etc

Soldato
If thats the case, you could 'convert' but be none too devout about it. Maintain enough appearance of converting to appease the family, but really change nothing more than a few outward appearances, then when she's a little older/relationship is more developed and the family arent so influencial, be more open about your true beliefs, athiest, agnostic or otherwise.

Caporegime
I used to go out with a more liberal Christian for 2 years... and I am 100% non-religious. Her family also loved me regardless, despite the odd attempt to teach me about Jesus. There's no reason you two shouldn't be able to go out.

Soldato
My mate was in a similar situation, he wasn't a Christian but he started dating one, and the family weren't too please, but they eventually got over it, as they managed to convert him to Christian lol. I was a bit gutted that he converted, but he's happy and they have been Dating for coming up 3 years now.

Soldato
Shes heavily into religion?

Find a quote in the bible that says she must have lots of sex with you. :D

Shouldnt be too hard; the old testament is a den of sexual depravity :p

In fact start learning the bible quote and verse. You can use it to win arguments. She has to acede to the greater authority of the Bible.

Back
Top Bottom