Non Labour voters - What one thing might change your mind?

Soldato
If you don't vote plan on voting for the Labour party at the next general election, what 1 thing could Labour promise to do, that might change your mind?

Or, would you never vote Labour, even if they offered a completely different set of policies?

Sgarrista
Commissario
If you don't vote plan on voting Labour at the next general election, what 1 thing could Labour promise to do, that might change your mind?

Or, would you never vote Labour, even if they offered a completely different set of policies?

Replace starmer.

He is even worse of an opposition leader than corbyn was.

Associate
Electoral reform so that going forward I could have a vote that actually mattered.

Through my life I've lived in a pair of strongholds so highly stacked wiping my backside on my ballot in the hopes it defaces more than just mine would make more of a difference than actually just voting against the local hivemind.

Man of Honour
For me, they need to clear out the entryists and the like that came into the party with Corbyn, and put robust policies in place to ensure they can never again be a vehicle for such things.

Until they do that, they will never be electable due to the risk that whoever is leader of the party is just a front to get those people into power.

Soldato
I live in a Tory stronghold, my vote is meaningless. Labour could reincarnate Elvis and they still wouldn't get in round here.

Soldato
I'm a lot more supportive of the union movement and the focus on working poor than I was when younger. If the Labour party dropped it's obsession with the "social liberalism" identarianism and actually focused on it's founding principles I might be more inclined to support them. I look at the 80's Labour party and it's desire to nationalise and squeeze the "rich" and I could never support that because I think it is self defeating. I look at the modern Labour party obsessed with everyone's identity rather than their circumstance and I hate that for the divisive dangerous society it creates. But there is a middle ground for a party that focusses on the worker but doesn't see the only solution being to soak them in other peoples money and cares about their concerns without pandering to the cult of victimhood.

Whilst I'm not enamored with Starmer as yet another metropolitan who condescends to care for the less well off I don't think he is a bad man and I don't think he is to blame for the funk the party is in. But whilst he makes small steps to reconnect with their grassroots he can't help but give in to the prejudices of the "party".

Soldato
Replace starmer.

He is even worse of an opposition leader than corbyn was.
Oh dear, but the media said Starmer was much more electable. That's why people supported him as leader after all.

Soldato
I personally think Starmer is doing an ok job, bit non-descript but he's making BoJo look like a blithering idiot in PMQs (not hard admittedly) and is being generic enough overall, for the time being... Whether he'll do enough close to the election is the real question.

It's clear that politics in this country is so short term and blinded by spin essentially, BoJo/Tories are doing well in polls right now because of the vaccine success which has almost nothing to do with them, and the 'corruption' is being ignored. But that's short term and in 2024 or whenever that will be long forgotten and it really depends on the politics at the time and how well Starmer is dealing with them.

To actually answer the question, I'd be inclined to vote for them today really, I've historically been a Tory voter although I almost didn't vote/spoiled my ballot last time (doesn't help that in my area only Tory, Labour and Lib Dems bothered running, I would've voted Green if possible based on the last election) but given the current governments clear and unabashed corruption means I will definitely not vote them next time, and maybe like an ex-miner I might never vote for them again :p

But, the area was Lib Dems pre-coalition and has been very strongly Conservative since, so it doesn't matter.

Soldato
I don't think there is one thing, unless it's "embrace Corbynism"

I'm not a Labour voter, but I have voted for them twice in my 20 years of voting. 2017 and 2019. I'm not going to vote for a Labour party positioned to the right of the Tories.

Man of Honour
This thread is definitely showing the challenge labour has, many of these options are totally mutually exclusive.

Soldato
Locally they're still the comedy clown show. They need someone the calibre of Anne Begg. In Scotland they need to form a non-compete pact with the Tories and Lib Dems so they don't stand against each other and divide the Unionist vote. Nationally they are the nasty party, the party of hate. "Tory scum." is not a way to garner interest.

Soldato
I don't think there is one thing, unless it's "embrace Corbynism"

I'm not a Labour voter, but I have voted for them twice in my 20 years of voting. 2017 and 2019. I'm not going to vote for a Labour party positioned to the right of the Tories.
You say Labour is positioned to the right of the Tories, how so?

There's an assumption held by some that Keir Starmer may be a right winger, I'm puzzled where this perception comes from. He is probably more left wing than many of the social democrats in his party, although I'm still unsure about this.

Boris brought us an exit from the EU remember. Labour's position on the EU was meant to be acceptable to all, but ended up pleasing no one, due to it's ambiguity.

Soldato
There's an assumption held by some that Keir Starmer may be a right winger, I'm puzzled where this perception comes from.
Where the Tories keep out-maneuvering to the left of Labour on issues like Nurse pay rises.

Or the Tories are in first with the principle of fan ownership of football clubs (something Corbyn had once been ridiculed for, as it happens : like an Oracle, that fella).

Or Labour simply offers up no alternative on things like the policing bill that's being protested: Labour supported it and we're even saying it didn't go far enough (don't let that be forgotten) before strong public sentiment forced them to try and ride the cynical popularity wave.

Soldato
Boris brought us an exit from the EU remember. Labour's position on the EU was meant to be acceptable to all, but ended up pleasing no one, due to it's ambiguity.

I think the problem is bigger than ambiguity, I think much of the membership and the PLP are at odds with their core base. They have done well in attracting the educating middle classes with their anti-Brexit and pro social liberalism but this is largely at odds with what the historic working classes have wanted. Labour's problem has been they have taken this core vote for granted for too long and moved in the opposite direction to the core vote for too long. These trends led to the recent election result. By putting forward a defenestrated anti-Brexiteer in a very pro-Brexit by election is bad tactics that doubles down on bad strategy.

Soldato
Or Labour simply offers up no alternative on things like the policing bill that's being protested: Labour supported it and we're even saying it didn't go far enough (don't let that be forgotten) before strong public sentiment forced them to try and ride the cynical popularity wave.

Sorry, I don't know the details of this bill, perhaps you could elaborate what the bill proposes? I notice Labour is paying more attention to policing + law and order lately. This is a luke warm thing for me, but can see how it would be important to some.

I would like parliament to return to normal within weeks, after all MPs have received a vaccination jab, I think this will help Labour to provide a more effective opposition if this happens.

Last edited:
Don
Electoral reform. If Labour got behind PR then I would vote for them in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd even vote Tory if it meant I could get PR. As it stands, neither party will ever do that so neither will get my vote.

Top Bottom