Noob Home Cinema query - 4K

Associate
Having invested in a 2018 4K Samsung QLED TV im now keen to upgrade the audio but am on a budget so looking at second hand purchases or clearance older models. Wanting 5.1 surround

If i can only afford to buy a 1080p AV Receiver i can still get 4K Video by plugging the source into my TV and then connect the audio from the TV to the AV receiver via HDMI ARC - is this correct?

What are the disadvantages of this setup ? Will the AV receiver just output whatever sound the TV has on screen and is feeding it via ARC?

I have a One Connect Box and Samsung smart remote in case that makes a difference and want to keep things as simple as possible

Thanks

Associate
I run a similar setup albeit with an optical output from my tv instead of ARC.
I got a nice 7:1 denon ampl, circa 2010 era, from the bay a while back.. was under a ton iirc and was in excellent condition.
It does all the usual home cinema sound formats of the time and thus does well in pretty much everything.
Got some Wharfedale speakers of the bay as well, and a sub all separate when i needed. All in didnt come to too much if your careful.

Would rather this setup than some gash soundbar or one of those all in one boxed setups containing everything for a couple hundred.

Associate
OP
ok thanks. So HDMI ARC isn't essential? I can just use optical audio to the receiver and that is sufficient for any reasonable receiver to detect the quality of the audio being sent (DTS/Dolby etc) ?

Man of Honour
Sending audio in via the TV and taking it out via either ARC or Optical can limit some of the sound format options. Whether this is a concern for you rather depends on the sources and what you'll accept as surround sound.

You're looking for a used AV receiver, so lets talk about that first.

AV receivers have supported HD audio in the form of Dolby True HD and DTS Master Audio for more than 10 years. But in order to get that sound from a source (usually a Blu-ray player) required something better than an Optical or Coaxial audio connection. The amount of data they can carry is limited, so it means that the most you'll get from Optical or Coaxial is Dolby Digital or DTS. They won't carry HD audio. For that, in most cases you need a HDMI connection when connecting a Blu-ray player or other source capable of HD audio such as a games console or streamer box.

What about TVs with HDMI ARC then?

ARC is the same as using Optical or Coaxial. It is capable of carrying a maximum of DD or DTS in 5.1, or digital stereo (PCM 2.0). That's your lot. It won't do HD audio or any of the more immersive audio formats such as Dolby ATMOS or DTS-X.

There is an updated version of ARC that will do the higher resolution and immersive formats. It is called eARC. The TV and the AV receiver both have to be eARC compatible for this to work. eARC is only just starting to filter through on higher-end products. It will be quite some time before it's universal (if at all?), and even longer before eARC capable AV receivers are widely available in the used market.

Whether I connect from the TV by ARC or Optical, I'll always get DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1, right?

Not quite. It depends on the TV.

How a TV handles audio from its Freeview HD tuner, USB connection and internal apps can be different from what it does when passing through the sound from its HDMI inputs. Dolby Digital is pretty-well supported, particularly on TVs with a Freeview HD tuner. DTS is less so. Some TVs pass it in up to 5.1. Others are limited to stereo only for DTS. Other TVs ignore it completely. The best thing to do is check the documentation for your specific model of TV, and even then the answers may not be that clear. Manufacturers hate to admit there's a shortcoming in their products, so you may well find that they talk about DTS without mentioning that it's limited to 2 channel, or that DTS only applies to say the streaming apps but not the HDMI inputs.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info. Seems i need to provide the context of what i'm trying to achieve

My TV is Samsung QE65Q7FN. From this page it looks like it can output DD 5.1 via optical or HDMI ARC but not DTS 5.1 via either cable. I have an Amazon Fire TV box and use that for Netflix, Amazon Prime and High quality streams from Kodi, some of which have DD HD / DTS HD

Perhaps i am better off buying a cheaper 4K AVR from the last couple of years and using that for all Video inputs

Back
Top Bottom