noob question about hardware warranties

Associate
so i've never had to worry about warranties before but now that i'm building my entire system from scratch it would be nice to keep track of them.

say i see a deal for something on a dodgy site. it's £100 cheaper than anywhere else, but there's at least paypal buyer's protection. if i buy brand new items from them, and they claim manufacturer warranties will be honoured, will they actually be? thing is, going by manufacturer websites, there's never much choice in the "where to buy" section, despite them making a hoo-hah about "warranties will only be awarded to authorized sellers". obviously there are times when even reputable sites aren't listed, but people get warranties honoured all the time.

so what's the deal? are manufacturers lenient? do you generally get manufacturer warranties no matter where you buy the item? (as long as it's not second hand).

thanks a lot, and sorry i'm a total noob at life ^^"

Associate
No rule of thumb, manufacturers have their own individual policies, also some can be a bit random depending who deals with you. I would personally avoid 'dodgy' places though not worth the hassle if things go wrong, and that's more likely due to dodgy ness :D

Associate
OP
nice sig.

yeaaaaaaah. you're right, i shouldn't even look at those stupidly low deals. i was willing to overlook long delivery times, but if warranty might be void then... nah. kind of means i'll be downgrading a few components though lol. oh well

cheers

Associate
OP
lol yeah. i wasn't worried because paypal protection means i'll at least get refunds if something dodgy happens. but i'm def following you guys' advice and avoiding them anyway for warranty purposes now

Back
Top Bottom