Noob question about surround headphones

Associate
Hi guys,

I apologise in advance if this is a numpty question, but I need help...

So I have an Asus p8z68 pro gen 3 with an i5 2500k and a 980 ti.

I'm VERY new to PC gaming (as in -the last month), and currently have a pair of cheapo stereo speakers attached to my PC via the (green) 3.5 mm audio output on the mobo. I want to get some surround headphones and I don't know the first thing about the subject.

So my question is: How would 5.1 (or even 7.1) headphones connect to my PC? I've seen headphones that have a wireless USB dongle. Is this the way to go, or am I missing something obvious? I only play driving sims (Pcars2 /AC) and I have a limited amount of time with it so I don't want to have a major faff. My system is being pushed quite hard, so I'm also looking for a non resource intensive solution.

Again, sorry if this question is daft!

Thanks.

Pongo.

Caporegime
Surround headsets will usually be USB and have their own inbuilt sound 'chip' in the lead for processing the virtual 5.1/7.1 surround sound.

Did you have any specific headset in mind?

Soldato
No specific headset -budget is... minimal!
Just forget word headsets.
It's marketing term for mostly very cheap lousy headphones with microphone attached.
And wireless is another marketing term for selling same thing for even higher price.
With likely break up "timer" using fixed battery...

"Real" 5.1/7.1 is even bigger pile of Chinese garbage truck content.
Human has only two ears/"receivers" and one good quality driver per receiver is all that's needed:
http://berkeleybside.com/sound-dimensions-of-binaural-recording/

For "shoestring" budget Superlux has some headphones with very high "bang per buck".
Myself got HD-330 just for fun/test (cost mighty 30€) and compared to Beyerdynamic DT990 and Sennheiser HD595 it sure sounds good considering price difference.

Takstar Pro 80 used as base in Kingston HyperX Cloud and similar QPAD might be also found at reasonable price.

Of course one factor is if you have noisy environment and need isolating that which needs closed headphone design.
But beyond noise isolation they tend to lag behind open headphones with usually better sound stage.
(cheap closed design garbage have sound stage size of head in bucket)

Besides headphones having certain level sound quality to actually start reproducing sound (instead of excreting something else) they need that proper signal to drive them and not just some 2.0/stereo made for speakers.

Windows 10 itself has some kind headphone surround mode, which is likely something half baked just because of VR craze.
But actual sound cards give known features.
Audigy Fx is very good for its price and comes with one of the best SBX Pro Surround.
Same level Xonar DGX uses overhyped Dolby Headphone which is awfully echo prone bloating bass and sounding like public path.

If not wanting to open case USB sound cards aren't often that good in comparison to internal budget cards.
Same price level Sound BlasterX G1 has clear step lower quality D/A converter, like likely most cheap USB sound cards with usually very little specs told...
(still likely better than bundled gaming headset USB dongles whose design priority is can't cost really anything)

And you're newbie.
I define noob as someone who is bad/doesn't know anything and isn't even interested about improving situation.

Associate
OP
Wow, thank you for taking the time to type that EsaT -I'm really grateful, you've helped me loads! Thanks!

Edit: I've done a bit of reading based on your reply and I'm going to buy those Superlux headphones and a PCIe soundcard. Brilliant information.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sooo... I have my Superlux HD-330's and they seem really nice. :)

In the future I will get a pcie soundcard, but for now I am stuck using my mobo on board sound output. I have a few of questions...

1. The mobo audio driver (Realtek HD) has a few settings I can choose from: Stereo, Quadraphonic & 5.1. I assume stereo is the one to choose -is that right?

2. My (cheap) speakers are plugged into the 3.5mm output on the back of the mobo. The speakers themselves have a 3.5mm line out, and my pc case has a front panel 3.5mm line out (Realtek drivers and bios recognise this as HD audio). Is there a preferred place to plug the headphones into or does it not matter?

3. Should I use 3rd party driver software, or is it best to stick with the Realtek driver?

Many thanks in advance for any help!

Pongo.

Man of Honour
If you want to mess about with "fake" surround BTW there is some software called Razer surround which can be used to produce virtual surround sound with stereo headphones which is about as good as most if not all of the multi-driver "surround" headsets and only falls short of the better HRTF systems like SBX Pro Surround and CMSS-3D, etc.

Associate
OP
Thanks Rroff.

I'm trying to achieve the best simulated cockpit sound for driving simulators (Project Cars 2 / Assetto Corsa). Do you (or anyone) have an opinion as to whether Razer Surround is going to be helpful with that vs. the OEM Realtek drivers?

Thanks!

Man of Honour
Just linked to it as you can pretty much get the same effect or better using it and stereo headphones as those "5.1/7.1 headphones" that are sold.

If you want a convincing setup for driving then the options really are SBX, CMSS-3D or the Sennheiser GSX1000.

Back
Top Bottom