Normal for stereo to restart when car started?

Soldato
It's nothing to do with the power connectors. It's just the fact that the starter motor is consuming the majority of the battery's power for those couple of seconds, therefore things like the stereo will momentarily power off. It's often 'better' for warm starts.

Soldato
Some shoddy old cars like Howard suggests will do this as the engine cranks. I assume here you're not talking about it resetting back to odd settings upon engine start?

Soldato
Mine will do this if the key has been in without the engine running (equivalent of position 1) and the stereo has been on for quite a while, like a minute or so. If I pop the key in and fire the engine up within that sort of time then it won't restart though.

Soldato
Both my 2013 cars do.
So it's not just old cars. I wouldn't personally say that leaves ruling my cars as "shoddy" either, but I guess that's subjective.

Man of Honour
Fairly normal behaviour unless there is some kind of power management with capacitors or something to ensure uninterrupted supply while the battery is supplying into what is essentially a short (the initial inrush current can be very high for a starter) with the starter.

It won't be so much shoddy old cars as how much the manufacturer has been cheap or not - even some quite old cars have electronics to offset this behaviour.

Soldato
Both my 2013 cars do.
So it's not just old cars. I wouldn't personally say that leaves ruling my cars as "shoddy" either, but I guess that's subjective.

if your sig is in any way representative of what you drive then i think that's a solid conclusion.

tbh as others have said i'd have assumed the vast majority of card would do this, although more modern cars may well be more likely to have the countermeasures.

starter motor takes a massive amount of power- if you've ever accidentally started a car whilst in gear you'll know what i mean.

Soldato
The starter will be drawing almost all of the available power. If it's a basic radio it might stay on but not a satnav one, which is basically a small PC.

Man of Honour
Looking around it seems someone might have patented (in a vehicle context) the most intrinsic way of managing the situation :( can't see how that would stand as its fairly fundamental electronics which might be why some cars handle it better than others (also some devices will be better able to withstand momentary loss of power than others - wouldn't surprise me if some mainstream consumer devices they've omitted smoothing capacitors, etc. to save money).

Soldato
In my Focus the aftermarket unit would lose power for a split second whilst the engine started so I'd have to wait an age for everything to connect again. No such issue in the new car though :D

Back
Top Bottom