New ram issue to current 20gb issue.

Soldato
Updated the title, I do need help with this if anyone can advise please..

so I’ve just finishing putting my computer together after repairing my 2600 and knew it probably wouldn’t be straight forward, but I’ve got a weird memory thing and never having this much memory before I don’t have a clue what’s going on nor have time to look at it now, but need advice all the same.

So changes To the computer in sig Now look like this.

Aorus M
20gb ballistix sports 3 x single channel 4gb & 1 x single channel 8gb
Gtx 1060 6gb
Silverstone 450w sfx

So according to CPUZ I’m running in dual and while I did xmp to 3000 they are reading at standard 2400 still? I know I had 2933 when I had 12gb, but I thought I’d test a little higher, but then even 2933 wasn’t setting, but the computer is running all the same.

Now in task manager despite detecting 20gb, it’s saying these figures which I don’t quite understand

In use - 3.5gb(57.2mb compresses)
4.3gb available
5.2/9.8gb committed
4.4gb cached

Speed 2400mhz
4 of 4
12.1gb hardware reserved

Now my m.2 drive(boot drive) and couple others haven’t been detected likely due to the ports I’ve used, so I’m using a slightly older drive I had windows 10 on, so not exactly up to date, but task manager says I’m using 3.4gb out of 7.9, which isn’t obviously not correct either.

The bios is F5, I haven’t got the time to update it before Monday, but would that be the likely cause? I know I’m using single channel ram but hadn’t had issues when I had 12gb, however I’m not sure how the ram goes in, so I figured 4448 setup thinking it wouldn’t matter which slot they were in?.

I don’t have a real issue then running at 2400, but would like them to run at least 2933 if nothing else.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
So just an update, I swapped the 8gb from slot 1 to slot 4(didn’t realise the order number)and while it still detects I got 20gb, the memory available is still low only now it says I have 11.9gb available, so an improvement, but still not correct, I never did do a bios update due to other things, would that fix it or is there anything else I can try? I don’t know if they share the same bios, but I do have bios F30 & F42a ready on a usb stock from updating my itx board not long ago.

Don
Ram isn't specifically single or dual channel.

The number of channels is a function of the motherboard/cpu.
Dual channel generally only works when you have pairs of matched specification ram. Your 8gb stick may be affecting this

The other thing to try is just using standard SPD timings rather than xmp and see if all 20gb is recognised..

Running higher speeds you will be better off with just a matched pair of 8gb sticks for 16gn rather than your mismatched sticks.

Soldato
OP
Ram isn't specifically single or dual channel.

The number of channels is a function of the motherboard/cpu.
Dual channel generally only works when you have pairs of matched specification ram. Your 8gb stick may be affecting this

The other thing to try is just using standard SPD timings rather than xmp and see if all 20gb is recognised..

Running higher speeds you will be better off with just a matched pair of 8gb sticks for 16gn rather than your mismatched sticks.

Thanks for reply.

Yeah I know and prior to this change round of the ram sticks and regardless of attempting XMP, the memory was running dual channel even after all the original crap I described, I got the 4 + 8 to work together and overclocked when I used it in my itx aorus, so why would it be different just because it’s got 4 slots ? I will do the bios update and see how that goes, but I might just end up sacrificing my first attempt beyond 16gb and buy another 4gb stick, so I just have 16gb instead, I’d imagine that should all work together better.

The only difference in my ram is the gb count, they are all the same models otherwise, so I wouldn’t exac say it’s mismatch ram.

Associate
The only difference in my ram is the gb count, they are all the same models otherwise, so I wouldn’t exac say it’s mismatch ram.

This is very contradictory, as you have clearly stated they're different? I'd never expect to get this working fully, if at all, as you typically would need, if nothing else, 2 sticks of the same size and rating (preferably a matched pair) to get dual channel working properly...

I'd either replace the 8GB stick with a 4GB one, or up one of 4GB to 8GB, assuming you fit them into the "paired" memory slots.

Soldato
OP
This is very contradictory, as you have clearly stated they're different? I'd never expect to get this working fully, if at all, as you typically would need, if nothing else, 2 sticks of the same size and rating (preferably a matched pair) to get dual channel working properly...

I'd either replace the 8GB stick with a 4GB one, or up one of 4GB to 8GB, assuming you fit them into the "paired" memory slots.

Different as in 8 & 4, the only different I can see is the 4gb memory ends with FSC and the 8gb FSCK otherwise it’s the same memory just different size.

I had the same single 4gb & 8gb working together in my old system, both at the same timings, speeds(oc together well) and were running in dual channel.

The sticks are currently working in dual channel and at 2400 as they don’t seem to want to run higher.

It is mismatched - module size and speed in each channel needs to match. As above you can either have 8+8, 4+4 for a total of 24Gb or 4+4, 4+4 for a total of 16Gb.

As above the last digit is what separates the 2, they are otherwise the same stick with same timings etc, just different memory size, they are both single ranks too.

I had 12gb running in dual channel, same timings, same OC 2933 and they were working spot on which is why I don’t get having 2 extra 4gb sticks will make it more complicated as it’s running in dual already, just not as it should.

what guarantee would I get if I swapped the 8gb for a 4gb and it running in dual still, but showing all memory and being able to overclock as I want them running at 2933 again?

Permabanned
you can run mismatched memory,
the problem most people have is timings, you need you put the slower stick in the master slot then the motherboard/cpu will run all sticks at the slower speed.
This said most people think ram only at 4 clocks E.g 11 11 11 28, when in fact its more like 40+ clocks/timings to set
Your best off not overclocking mismatched sticks

the thing puzzling me is way your system is using 12.1gb for hardware reserved. this it normally for the likes of onboard GPU's but your running dedicated card.
Do you have a spear drive to try a fresh install of windows? it many been a faulty driver or old windows setting messing things up

Silly question but windows is 64bit... right?

Don
you can run mismatched memory,

Whilst you can get away with it in most cases - it isn't guaranteed, Ryzen is a less mature platform, and there are still ongoing updates regarding memory support.
As per the Aorus M manual
"When enabling Dual Channelmode with two or four memory modules, it is recommended that memory
of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used. For optimum performance, when enabling
Dual Channel mode with two memory modules, we recommend that you install them in the DDR4_1
and DDR4_2 sockets"

I.e. it's recommended, and has likely only really been tested with matching modules.

the thing puzzling me is way your system is using 12.1gb for hardware reserved. this it normally for the likes of onboard GPU's but your running dedicated card.

Bent pin in a cpu socket on an Intel system would potentially do the same thing (i.e. detect the ram but show it as unavailable), but a lot harder to do on a Ryzen.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies.

The memory are all 2400mhz so there is no default to the slowest, also I repaired the 2600 and was running fine before I went to 20gb, there should be no shared memory either.

The ram worked fine in the itx aorus, so I don’t see why it wouldn’t work in the M version, but OC aside, the issue is it’s not, detecting all the ram as usable.

Think I’m going to give up on trying to get 20gb, it’s not setup yet as I’m awaiting CPU, but I’m going for 12gb in my A320 board as it only has 2 slots, so will just get 2 single 4gb sticks again and go for 16gb.

Soldato
OP
Repaired what?

If it worked fine in the other board, this suggests a CPU issue (e.g. bent pin as mentioned above)

The 2600 was stuck to the cooler when I removed it as it was cold, I accidentally pressed some pins pulling it off, but I managed to fix it, was running fine with less memory. I’ve taken the 8gb along with a 4gb to use with the other board anyways, so I’ll aim for 16gb again.

Don
The 2600 was stuck to the cooler when I removed it as it was cold, I accidentally pressed some pins pulling it off, but I managed to fix it, was running fine with less memory. I’ve taken the 8gb along with a 4gb to use with the other board anyways, so I’ll aim for 16gb again.

Sounds like a Pin is still stuck/bent or not making proper contact then - have seen this with LGA sockets - a bent pin can mean that ram shows up as unavailable or doesn't show up at all.
Any new memory you order will stick likely do the same until you resolve this

Soldato
OP
Sounds like a Pin is still stuck/bent or not making proper contact then - have seen this with LGA sockets - a bent pin can mean that ram shows up as unavailable or doesn't show up at all.

Well the memory is detected as both the bios and system says I have 20gb, just not prioritised well, I don’t really want to faff with the pins again, too expensive for to risk damaging again ha

Soldato
OP
built my system with the Msi Pro-M2 V2 A320M using 4 + 8 so it has the 12gb and i remembers more of how i got this to work in my ITX board, this msi board has that 'memory try' option in the bios just like my ITX board had, so was able to get it running @ 2933 with matching timings, it seems the Aorus M doesnt have that option that i can see? got my extension cables coming today, so be able to finish my computer off and will double check, but i do currently find it odd gigabyte hasnt included it in their ****** board.

Soldato
OP
Just an update, I haven’t had much time to deal with my computer, but I did set it up and I’ve come to realise something.

16gb shows up in bios, but 8.1gb is hardware reserved, so I have checked the memory diagnostics and nothing, so physically checked and the 2 slots furthest away from the cooler 1&2 maybe? CPUZ and bios tells different to each other, doesn’t seem to work with a single stick in, but either one the other 2 it does work and so if I use one or both slots near the cooler I get full access to the ram be it 4gb or 8, however I run in single channel as a result. If I add a 3rd stick I will see 12gb and in dual channel, but some is hardware reserved and the same hardware reserve rubbish happens if I dual channel it with one of the slots closest to the cooler and the 3 or 4th away.

So basically it seems 2 of my slots are not working as they should, but would this be due to hardware or the motherboard or is there something else potentially effecting it? Haven’t had time to take the cpu out yet.

I suppose I could sacrifice dual channel, but I would need to get a single 16gb to get me back up to where I wanna be.

Don

You already said you "repaired" the CPU - clearly you have a bent pin or something - that is where you need to start as already advised

Soldato
OP
You already said you "repaired" the CPU - clearly you have a bent pin or something - that is where you need to start as already advised

yeah i did, however im not clued up on which side of the cpu would effect the ram, where i bent them was left side of the triangle and further up, ive been busy and also with college stuff on my laptop, so earlier was the only time i looked at it again, i wanted to test the ram to make sure they are fine which they are, so tomorrow i will have to have a look at the processor, im hoping not to spend money i dont have to replace parts.

Back
Top Bottom