Not Detected by Traffic Lights - How long would you wait?

Man of Honour
Hi All,

The offices in London where I am working have parking in their loading bays for bikes, which exit via their own dedicated side road - which sees very few vehicles.

As a result of the infrequent use, the traffic lights on this exit are controlled by a pole mounted traffic sensor (with no ground loop visible) - which simply will not see my motorcycle.

The last few days I have tried rolling back and forth, changing my position, getting off and throwing my glove at the sensor - and nothing helps, the other lights at the junction just keep cycling. If a car comes up behind me, the lights change as normal.

I know the law gives absolutley no excuses for passing a red, but after 12 minutes of dancing and waving last night, I gave up and proceeded with caution.

How long would you wait ? Any tips for making it see me ? Please don't laugh when I get a ticket :(

Soldato
I know the law gives absolutley no excuses for passing a red, but after 12 minutes of dancing and waving last night, I gave up and proceeded with caution.
How long would you wait ? Any tips for making it see me ? Please don't laugh when I get a ticket :(
I understood there is something, either in law or advised in the Highway Code, regarding how long a time is considered 'reasonable' to wait before proceding with caution through red lights that fail to change. There must be something, given that you could technically be sat there all night, like a complete plum...

Failing that, hop off the bike and wheel it past on the pavement, like a dismounted cyclist... You're riding what they call a "motorbicycle" anyway! :D

I've been stuck at a junction where I could see the other lights and I waited until all the others had done two complete cycles through their sequence, before giving up and going ahead.
This was J11 of the M4 and I waited about 3 minutes. I also had the advantage of it being at night, with not a single other vehicle around.

Caporegime
17 miniutes i managed.

Then i was like "**** it gotta go"

Was the dead of night and nothing had come down the road in a good 5 miniutes

Caporegime
I understood there is something, either in law or advised in the Highway Code, regarding how long a time is considered 'reasonable' to wait before proceding with caution through red lights that fail to change. There must be something, given that you could technically be sat there all night, like a complete plum...

Failing that, hop off the bike and wheel it past on the pavement, like a dismounted cyclist... You're riding what they call a "motorbicycle" anyway! :D

I've been stuck at a junction where I could see the other lights and I waited until all the others had done two complete cycles through their sequence, before giving up and going ahead.
This was J11 of the M4 and I waited about 3 minutes. I also had the advantage of it being at night, with not a single other vehicle around.

Been at a junction where all 4 lights where stuck on red. After a few mins and watching people do U turns out of the quese i just drove across.

....followed by absolultey everyone from every road going "oh yeah i can do that too" and all getting leary with each other lol

Man of Honour
OP
If I knew for a fact it wasn't going to change I wouldn't even bother waiting, creep and peep to make sure it's clear and go.

This. I certainly wouldn't wait 12 minutes.

All I can say if your a hell of a lot more patient that me :p I would wait like 5 minutes.

17 miniutes i managed.

Then i was like "**** it gotta go"

Was the dead of night and nothing had come down the road in a good 5 miniutes

It was also dead of night for me, waiting out of curiosity more than anything!

While thats quite cool, these lights don't have an induction loop as they are on a concrete flyover type arragment - there is just enough metal on my bike that loops normally see me!

Soldato

Something along the lines of "If an automated traffic light system is clearly faulty, proceed with caution as you would at a Give Way sign" I believe.

Soldato
Hi All,

The offices in London where I am working have parking in their loading bays for bikes, which exit via their own dedicated side road - which sees very few vehicles.

As a result of the infrequent use, the traffic lights on this exit are controlled by a pole mounted traffic sensor (with no ground loop visible) - which simply will not see my motorcycle.

The last few days I have tried rolling back and forth, changing my position, getting off and throwing my glove at the sensor - and nothing helps, the other lights at the junction just keep cycling. If a car comes up behind me, the lights change as normal.

I've run a couple of temporary lights, gave them about 5 mins and a few passes of the light at the opposite end.

I thought the law does allow you to run a red if it's clearly broken and you very slowly and carefully go?

Soldato
I'd wait about 3mins max I think :p

Interestingly when I go to Old Trafford to watch United I take my bike (free parking outside the stadium yo!) After the game they shut a few roads off to allow crowds to cross but the police let me across junctions if I get off and push. Can't do anything they say, handy! :D

Back
Top Bottom