Not enough ports on motherboard, which fan controller to get?

Associate
So, i've got a problem that i've noticed playing overwatch, temps hit way too high, and ive read it could be that not enough airflow in my case and air is trapped. But I only really have the cpu noctua fans working and no other fans to help push it out.

I have one installed but no connector on the motherboard to use to get it working, so I dont want to kill my hardware anymore.

Is there a fan controller worth getting that would connect them all and adjust it self based off temps? Or just one i can install to have multiple ports and I could install few more fans.

Ive looked at the Corsair commander pro but thats pricey, but also the grid+ V3 internal digital 6 fan controller. Any recommendations and why!? Thanks in advance :D

My case is Fractal R4

Associate
OP
You have no case fan headers on the motherboard? What board is it ??

Also what CPU is it and what temperature is it reaching?
Board is Gigabyte z97 gaming, the NOCTUA fans are plugged into the mob, so no other connectors that I can see. I get around 35 on the CPU, which then maxes 58 which is unhealthy I will read(i7 6660k)
And GPU hits max at 81 a lot(1070)

Soldato
Board is Gigabyte z97 gaming, the NOCTUA fans are plugged into the mob, so no other connectors that I can see. I get around 35 on the CPU, which then maxes 58 which is unhealthy I will read(i7 6660k)
And GPU hits max at 81 a lot(1070)

CPU is fine, forget about it. I wouldnt worry unless it was reaching 70c+

GPU is on the warm side and is probably limiting the boost clocks as a result. More airflow would help with that.

There are a few different Gigabye z97 gaming boards so I would need to know which one it is, but for example the z97x-gaming3 has 3 system fan headers. One in the middle of the boards and two at the bottom. This is in addition to the two CPU fan headers at the top of the board.

do you have the manual for your motherboard? It will tell you where your headers are.

Associate
OP
Associate
OP
CPU is fine, forget about it. I wouldnt worry unless it was reaching 70c+

GPU is on the warm side and is probably limiting the boost clocks as a result. More airflow would help with that.

There are a few different Gigabye z97 gaming boards so I would need to know which one it is, but for example the z97x-gaming3 has 3 system fan headers. One in the middle of the boards and two at the bottom. This is in addition to the two CPU fan headers at the top of the board.

do you have the manual for your motherboard? It will tell you where your headers are.
It is the gaming5 version, http://tinyimg.io/i/CYCKAf2.jpg
There is a system pan 4 pin near the edge but that's in the way by the GPU, othewiase I can't see others, will try download a manual and see if I'm just blind

Soldato
ok, the gaming 5 is the same setup as the gaming 3. One in the middle of the board above the first pcie1x slot and two at the bottom.

unplug the gpu, you'll be able to get to the bottom two. The middle one might be trickier however, it's beneath the CPU heatsink by the looks of it.

Soldato
So, i've got a problem that i've noticed playing overwatch, temps hit way too high, and ive read it could be that not enough airflow in my case and air is trapped. But I only really have the cpu noctua fans working and no other fans to help push it out.

I have one installed but no connector on the motherboard to use to get it working, so I dont want to kill my hardware anymore.

Is there a fan controller worth getting that would connect them all and adjust it self based off temps? Or just one i can install to have multiple ports and I could install few more fans.

Ive looked at the Corsair commander pro but thats pricey, but also the grid+ V3 internal digital 6 fan controller. Any recommendations and why!? Thanks in advance :D

My case is Fractal R4
What cooler are you using?

If you are using the stock Define R4 case fans that could be our problem. They have very low pressure rating so can't flow much are against front grill and fliter resistance, even at full speed. A couple Phanteks PH-F140MP in front will flow plenty of air. I also suggest removing all PCie back slot covers to increase rear vent area around GPU so there is better front to back airflow and lower air temp into GPU.

2-pack of PH-F140MP are only £16.26.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Back
Top Bottom