Not just light painting... anyone tried Parabolas?

Soldato
Gah i don't possess any small torches. I have a laser sight for a pistol but i doubt that will work. I think I'll have a look on the bay for a cheap led one.

Associate
Those pics look great they remind me of spirograph! I need to give this a go :)

Took the words right out of my mouth - definately a flashback to the 1970's!

I've had an idea too... what would happen if you set the torch on blink mode AND put a shaped aperture (cut out of a piece of black cardboard) over the lens, I assume you would get shaped bokeh - wonder what it would look like :)

Associate
Gah i don't possess any small torches. I have a laser sight for a pistol but i doubt that will work. I think I'll have a look on the bay for a cheap led one.

I bought about 100 from Hong Kong for a pittance. Let me have your address (email in trust) and I'll post you a handful.

Man of Honour
Hang the camera from the string instead?
Reminds me of that craze a while back to set the self timer then lob the camera into the air and see what you got :eek:

I had a go at this over the weekend but I need to take the hall light down to get a decent hook I think (is that dedication or just a bit too much??). I reckon with a 15mm lens I can use a six or 7 foot string which could be interesting :D

Soldato
DSC_0148-3resize.jpg

DSC_0150-2resize.jpg

Had a quick go at this when i got home from work. Need to experiment a bit more i think, the camera must have been out of focus as they're a bit soft.

I bought about 100 from Hong Kong for a pittance. Let me have your address (email in trust) and I'll post you a handful.

Thanks for the kind offer mate but funnily enough i got a small led torch as a free gift when i ordered a Fenix LD20 a few days ago :D.

EDIT: A couple more, still pretty crap though.

DSC_0009resize.jpg

DSC_0010-3resize.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Ive tried a few different things now but i cant get them any more complex than the last one i posted. Tried different lengths of string and adding weights but it just slows down too fast.

Fstop, how the hell did you do yours? :D

Great fun though, thanks for posting this SexyBetty, it'll keep me entertained for hours lol.

Soldato
Fstop, please tell me how you did yours, I'm racking my brains trying to figure it out :D.

Random question, but how do you get them so neat?

My first ones were out of focus and also the torch has a hood around the led which i unscrewed. I also put some masking tape over the front with a hole in it for the led to poke through as there was loads of light bleed coming through the led housing which was making the line too thick.

Back
Top Bottom