Not very often I like the Sun....

Caporegime
Whilst listening to Gordon Brown yesterday spouting the usual drivel during his speech to the labour party conference, I was wishing for something to come along and wipe the smirk off his smug face. Just a few hours later, News internationals "Finest" comes along and does just that! :D

The Sun Says: Labour’s lost it

TWELVE years ago, Britain was crying out for change from a divided, exhausted Government. Today we are there again.

In 1997, "New" Labour, shorn of its destructive hard-Left doctrines and with an energetic and charismatic leader, seemed the answer. Tony Blair said things could only get better, and few doubted him. But did they get better? Well, you could point to investment in schools and shorter hospital waiting lists and say yes, some things did - a little.

But the real story of the Labour years is one of under-achievement, rank failure and a vast expansion of wasteful government interference in everyone's lives.

Who do YOU want to lead the country?

Nobody can doubt the dedication of Gordon Brown - or the love and loyalty of his wife Sarah, who delivered a moving plea on his behalf yesterday.

But nor can they disguise the failures of Labour in Government over the last 12 years, many of them embarrassingly laid bare by the PM's own words yesterday.

Britain feels broken . . . and the Government is out of excuses.

Blair took office with bulging coffers, an invincible majority and weak opposition, and he and Gordon Brown could have worked miracles.

But they FAILED on law and order, their mantra "tough on crime, tough on the causes of crime" becoming a national joke. Knife murders are soaring. Smirking criminals routinely walk free in the name of political correctness, while decent people live in a virtual police state of snooping cameras and petty officials empowered to spy and to punish.

Labour FAILED on schools. Yes, facilities improved - but four in 10 kids leave those shiny classrooms still unable to read, write or add up properly. We are plummeting down international league tables for maths and literacy, but every year "grade inflation" ensures record GCSE and A-level passes to fuel Government propaganda.

Labour FAILED on health - spending billions on clipboard-ticking target managers instead of on frontline care.

Labour FAILED on immigration, opening our borders without any regard to the consequences. Illegal migrants and bogus asylum seekers poured in.

Labour FAILED the children they claimed to have made their priority. After 12 years of Blair and Brown, Britain is officially the WORST country in the developed world in which to grow up.

Most disgracefully of all, Labour FAILED our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, leaving them to die through chronic under-funding and the shambolic leadership of dismal Defence Secretaries like Bob Ainsworth.

More promises ... Gordon Brown after his speech at the Labour Party conference in Brighton

More promises ... Gordon Brown after his speech at the Labour Party conference in Brighton

As our forces in two war zones suffered, the scale of Government waste at home was mind-boggling and tragic:

Billions blown employing a useless layer of public service middle-managers like those who condemned Baby P to die.

Billions more spent, insanely, making benefits more lucrative than a pay cheque - creating a huge, idle underclass for whom work is a dirty word. And all along the Government has had one overriding concern: Itself.

Blair and Brown's puerile feud has long been a cancer at the heart of New Labour, their divisions often paralysing the country.

Labour's driving ambition has not been to improve Britain. It has been to retain power at all costs - with no lie judged too great in its ruthless and relentless self-promotion.

They promised a referendum on Europe. They claimed they had ended "boom and bust". They tried to con the public with promises of endless investment, when they knew they would have to cut.

At the 2005 election, we and our readers believed Labour had many failings but gave them one last chance over a lacklustre Tory party.

They have had that chance and failed.

That is a fact Gordon Brown cannot escape, for all his rhetoric yesterday - his rewriting of history, his absurd caricature of the "heartless" Tories, his tired promises to solve problems he has had 12 years to solve.

Britain needs a brave and wise Government to restore our self-respect, our natural entrepreneurship and the will of every family to improve its lot through its own efforts, without depending on handouts.

We need a Government that will cut the red tape strangling businesses, that will make affordable tax cuts to stimulate growth, that will reform wasteful public services.

We need a Government with a genuine will to win the war in Afghanistan and the commitment to give our forces whatever they need to do it.

This will not be a Government that merely talks the talk, as Labour has. It will ACT.

We hope, and pray, that the next Government will have the guts and the determination to do these things. And we believe David Cameron should lead it.

Between now and the election Cameron's Conservatives must earn voters' trust by setting out their promising policies in detail.

If elected, Cameron must use the same energy and determination with which he reinvigorated the Tory Party to breathe new life into Britain.

That means genuine, radical change to encourage self-improvers, not wasting time on internal party wrangling or pandering to the forces of political correctness. It also means an honesty and transparency of Government that we have not seen for years.

We are still a great people and, put to the test, will respond to the challenges we face.

The Sun believes - and prays - that the Conservative leadership can put the great back into Great Britain.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2661063/The-Sun-Says-Labours-lost-it.html

I may break the habit of a fair few years and actually buy a copy today as a way of saying "Thanks" :D

Associate
Smirking criminals routinely walk free in the name of political correctness, while decent people live in a virtual police state of snooping cameras and petty officials empowered to spy and to punish.

too true. i can't believe the state this country has gotten into :(

though is it going to get any better under the next lot?

Associate
Ugh... I was enjoying that until it basically said "let's go Tory".

Would rather see one of the radical parties get in and see some really big shakeups for a term. If the Conservatives win it will just be an exact repeat of the story above over the next 12 years.

Have we learned nothing from our history of the Labour-Tory see-saw?

Soldato

Would rather see one of the radical parties get in and see some really big shakeups for a term. If the Conservatives win it will just be an exact repeat of the story above over the next 12 years.

Indeed, Lesser of the 2 evils at the moment but I don't consider myself a Tory.

Soldato
The way things are in britain has more to do with the global political climate than any individual government.

Things wont change with the tories, and i doubt lib dems will ever become electable.

Its quite negative but im completly disillusioned with politics on the whole and doubt i will vote anytime soon.

Soldato

From the moment I started reading, I knew where it was going.

Got to be honest I have no idea where to put my vote at the moment. Don't feel either Gordon Brown or David Cameron deserve it to be honest.

Caporegime
The Sun is as two-faced as the poiliticians.

During most of the Blair years they were singing Labour's praises, now they are ranting that they were rubbish for all of the last 12 years.

Make up your mind. Or just make it up as you go along I suppose :p

To be fair, it's a newspaper's prerogative to change sides. The Sun has been loyal to New Labour for more than a decade, and that's a pretty good innings.

Brown should never have taken the top job. He lacks the charisma necessary to engage with the public, and he doesn't seem to have a clear vision about what he wants to do with the country. I give him top marks for economics, but 0 out of 10 for social policy.

Soldato
Gutter journalism at it's best there.

Spouting figures without any sources using words like "soaring" "routinely"

Did the paper actually write "four in 10"?

Also paragraphs like "...classrooms still unable to read, write or add up properly."

Add up properly. English in it's most simple form written like that to be able to be read by the lowest common denominator.

I don't live in the UK anymore so couldn't care less about Labour's governing skills however the Sun shows once more that it employs the lowest breed of journalist and still prints sensationalist stories without any background.

The UK is a great place to live yet people who live there and the media are constantly moaning about every little thing.

Britian works quite well and it's people are some of the most friendly and educated people on the planet yet as Britons we seem to let the media think we are useless and the country is "broken" and we are all doomed. Yet 1000s want to live in the UK and it's very highly thought of by most Europeans.

Last edited:
Soldato
was watching c4 news last night and they had a few people in to comment on the speech. It made me so mad to see them say, "I won't be voting for Brown" or, "I won't be voting for Camron". Idiots, you don't vote for them, you vote for the party.

Back
Top Bottom