Note 8...what are we thinking?

Caporegime
Firstly a disclaimer: this isn't an attempt to make an official thread as I know it's too soon. Someone else can do that. But I am keen to hear what the OcUK Note fan boys think the Note 8 will bring to the table when it comes around, which I gather may be Q4'17.

I'm still running my faithful Note 4 and use the s-pen every day at work. It's a brilliant phone for me, but since the death of the Note 7 I've been holding onto it through necessity rather than choice.

So what do people think it will deliver? 4K screen, 6.2" screen, and the loss of physical home button are amongst the rumours. 4K screen for VR, better speakers and camera, and advancements in the s-pen usability will probably be enough to persuade me.

Soldato
Still on 3 here as it was a PITA to buy 5 and Note 7 decided to go boom. Pretty desperate for an upgrade at this point so may have to get the S8 and then secretly long for the Note when it arrives some months later. On the flip side whatever I get will be a huge upgrade for me!

Guess it's a sure thing that it will come with curved screen like the last one so I just hope I can get a decent case for it as I'm relatively rough with my phones. Dual camera would also be nice like you see in the iPhone Plus and with VR being pushed so heavily we should be seeing 4K screen. Size wise I wouldn't want to go much bigger in terms of dimensions but with bezels getting smaller every year that shouldn't be an issue here.

Caporegime
OP
I would go for the S8, but apparently it won't support the s-pen so it doesn't step on the Note 8's (if they even call it that) toes.

Part of me thinks they should just have an S8 and an S8 plus, the latter being with a bigger screen and having s-pen support, and not bother having a separate Note.

Caporegime
My Note 4 is up in a couple of months, rocking a Note 7 ROM which does make it feel quite fresh. Unsure if I want to get another Samsung but if they include a removable battery for the Note 8, I am halfway there (they won't).

Soldato
Removable batteries really should be a must with mobile devices, the massive cost shouldered by Samsung surely proves that should the worst happen. I dont think my Note 4 suffered any downside from having one. I dont use it in the bath and wouldnt take a phone swimming.
The curved screen on the Note 7 was lovely, just a short and sharp curve, this POS S7 Edge I had to replace it with annoys me daily with its more graduated curve, even with a Spigen cover on, I still find myself hitting the edge of the screen when turning it off etc and different programs opening. I would love to see them continue the "pro" Note range with a hardware button as I much prefer it over soft buttons as software can be badly written and make it awkward.
Only because they started killing functionality on my Note 7, Id still have it, it never got warm, pen worked great and loved every day of the two months ownership of it.
6" 4k screen, decent performance and 4000mah battery would suffice for me...oh and a home button.

Soldato
yup VR, the screen door effect gets on my **** but dont want to rule it totally out and bin the headset if its still worthwhile later.

Still got my trustworthy Note 4 here, but due an upgrade in July.

I, however, have a suspicion that the Note 7 will be the last ever in the Note series. I think that Samsung will continue with the S-series phone (S8 next), and their S Edge-series phone will be marketed as the Note replacement from the S8 Edge onwards. Just hope they bring in the stylus and raise the screen to 5.7" in line with the Note.

Man of Honour
Agreed if I was Samsung I would ditch the "Note" brand due to the negative connotations associated with the Note 7.

As regards my Note 4 the only thing I'd really like to see improved is the battery life, and maybe move the buttons at the bottom to the side to maximise screen space.

Associate
Interesting to read the Note 7 is to be sold in "developing" markets, after being refurbished with smaller batteries. Appears to be a way for Samsung to do something with the millions of units they have and recoup some of their losses.

Man of Honour
I do like that their new adverts basically just focuses on how much they test the devices - Got to feel a bit sorry for them, but then they did also put a bomb in something you either have next to your junk, held against your head or plugged in next to your bed...

Soldato
I'm not in a hurry to feel sorry for Samsung. If it wasn't for the competition we'd still have ghastly over saturated OLED's, crumby plastic build and fugly touchwiz. It's gotten better but I'd hate to think where we'd be if they were in full control.

Back
Top Bottom