Notice period

Soldato
Looking for a bit of advice here around notice periods.

I've been in my current position for 3 years (senior data warehouse developer) and yesterday I accepted a job offer somewhere else. The only snag is that my notice period is a whopping 3 months. I was aware of this when I joined the organisation, but I was so happy to be there that I didn't really think about the impact down the line of accepting such a long notice period. My new employer is disappointed that they aren't going to have me starting for at least 3 months (reference checks, etc) and I'm keen to try and get the notice period reduced if possible.

Does anyone have any ideas how I can approach this subject with my current employer? For someone at my level, 3 months seems stupidly long. Some of my friends are product managers for big European companies and have shorter notice periods! That said, I signed up for it and am of course willing to honour it (I don't want to burn bridges) but any advice on how to get out of it would be great!

Associate
Generally I don't think most companies go down the legal route for people who break notice period agreements, but I agree the best plan would be to negotiate with your employer.

Caporegime
I'd just ask, it isn't really in their interests to keep someone around who doesn't want to be there either. You know what you're working on right now and how long it will take roughly... just have a meeting with your boss and go over the stuff you need to finish or hand over before leaving and figure out roughly how long it will take for the important stuff... maybe you can then reduce the notice period. So long as you're not moving to a direct competitor then they'd be a bit petty to refuse (unless you've really got so much to finish/hand over that they really need you for those 3 months and would ideally want you for longer even).

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice all. I'm actually moving from one NHS job to another NHS organisation so I'll probably be collaborating with some of the people I work with, hence my desire to not burn bridges!

I'm working on a big project, but there's a natural handover point in mid-Feb that I could probably moot as a compromise. Will give it a shot anyway!

Associate
When I resigned, I put in writing a handover plan covering who would pick up my tasks and how I would help them look for a replacement if I were to leave earlier than the stated three months notice...

Soldato
Thanks for the advice all. I'm actually moving from one NHS job to another NHS organisation so I'll probably be collaborating with some of the people I work with, hence my desire to not burn bridges!

I'm working on a big project, but there's a natural handover point in mid-Feb that I could probably moot as a compromise. Will give it a shot anyway!

Is your current project commercially sensitive? Would your present employer feel that your continued involvement was a commercial risk to the organisation?

If either of the above is true, you may end up with gardening leave and freedom to move on.

Soldato
We are on 3 months but what has been said is right ... you talk to your management and you negotiate when you want to leave. There may be reasons why they want you to work the whole period and you don't really want to burn bridges as you never know what will happen in the future. We did have someone who quite and left within a week despite the notice period ... that didn't go down well with anyone (either management and other staff who had to pick up the work) so if he comes across any of them professionally in the future they are unlikely to give him much slack.

Back
Top Bottom