Novice Question - Whats the best to do at the Gym for me?

Associate
Hi all,

I've decided to join my local gym in order to help me lose weight as well as build muscle, but i have no idea as to what to do :confused:

Over the past three years i have brought myself down from 18st to currently 14st through just healthy eating and more exercise and now i think its time to get to the next step. I'm 6'4" and have a large broad build. Even though the current tests say i am at my ideal weight, i definalty have a high percentage of body fat on me (mainly belly and chest) and i really aim to get rid of it.

I currenlty eat quite healthy with meals consiting of grilled chicken, fish, beef, salads, brown pasta etc.

What exercises/workouts do i do in order to lose weight aroudn the belly and chest areas? I understand cardio is the best for losing weight and my gym has a CV suite as well as a weightlifting suite.... can i combine losing weight with putting on muscle? What kind of workout would you reccomend for a beginner to the gym with these goals?

Thanks for the help guys! :)

Soldato
AlexBell said:
What exercises/workouts do i do in order to lose weight aroudn the belly and chest areas?

It's a common misconception that this is possible. Doing situps, crunches, etc will NOT make your body burn fat from the stomach area, it just doesn't work like that. What you can do is make the muscle in the area firmer and/ or larger with an exercise.

Associate
OP
Thats a great guide by GordyR! Ok, i guess a combo of weight loss and muscle gain is not good initially. I shall go for muscle gain once i have lost more fat i think.

So, this leaves a cardio workout. What would you guys suggest be a good cardio workout for a beginner? How many times a week should i do it?

Soldato
Well the best way to lose weight with the least muscle loss is a HIIT program, which is where you jog for 30 seconds then sprint for 30 seconds etc. I'm not too clued up on it really, someone else should be able to tell you specifics.

Soldato
i'm no expert but I started as a bit of a beginner, wasn't fat or anything but i was a bit chubby, a year down the line and i'm slim and the muscles are really beginning to show. I've actually gained weight over the year but ive lost the the bits of fat I had and gained a more toned and muscular body.

Anyway, i recommend (presuming you go to the gym once a week to begin with):

10mins on treadmill at whatever pace u feel comfortable at, but make sure your jogging for at least 5mins of that. After a month aim to run a mile in that 10mins and keep doing that every week, its not hard but it give you a nice easy goal to work on every week.

10mins biking, aim to keep a steady pace of around 15-20 km/h, then after a month or two push yourself to reach 3/4 miles in whatever time possible.

4/5mins rowing, i find rowing quite tiring for some reason so I dont bother doing it for long, but 5 minutes on the middle resistance (differs from machine to machine) going at whatever pace you feel like should do you some good

maybe have a quick 5mins on the cross trainer as well? I dont use that much but its a good piece of equipment.

Then after a couple of months of doing that, start to introduce some weights too. Takes dedication but the difference ive seen in my body has DEFINATELY been worth it and i'm finding myself going to the gym 2/3 times a week these days.

Soldato
I'd go with weights along with cardio from day one. If you're paying for a gym membership i'm guessing you would want to go more than once a week tbh.
Lifting weights does burn calories and as anyone can tell you growing and maintaining muscle requires more energy than would be required if that muscle wasn't there.

Cardio is obviously a useful tool in weight loss and theres no way you you should neglect it. With regards to what cardio equipment to use just go with whatever you enjoy most - as long as it makes you sweaty it's working-.

Personally I'd go for 2 full body weight workouts a week and then depending on how often i could get down the gym perhaps another 1-2 cardio sessions. try varying the intensity and length of your cardio workout in order to both keep your body off balance and also to find what best works for you. If you can't always get to the gym then there is nothing wrong with a jog or brisk walk in the evenings.
Read GordyR's thread for proper advice but I would say that if you do go for weights as well go light when you first start off but after that the key to stimulating growth would be to lift heavy, eat properly, and rest plenty.

Back
Top Bottom