Now the League and Cup are over...

Associate
Right you h'orrible lot!

Now that the league and cup are over and we have celebrated the 3 million mark its time to get back to work :D

The Team OcUK SETI Benchmark!
Yeah you all would have heard about it. Our results table has 62 entries. But TLC has over 475. So lets gets some more results, this table benfits the team because we can see what CPU and systems are doing in terms of times and she how best to spend our money. Or if we are getting times equal to similar systems.

Please run this program at least once in your system as it is now. Then if your feeling really good reset the system to it original configuration and run it again to see how much time you have shaved off. That we you and the team have a good comparision. Then maybe push your system to it's limit's, a spec in which you wouldn't run it 24/7 but for the purpose of benchmarking. Remebering tight memory timings are high FSB are what you want.

The more results we get the better we stand. So come on guys spare a few Wu for the good of the community.

The Results page can be found at
- http://www.orifice.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

The Files you need can be found at, intructions are included within the zip
- http://www.orifice.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/OcUKBench.zip

Hope to see some nice small times on the table now. Come on the XP crew prove to us Intel lovers that AMD can do sub 2 hour!

Thanx for all guys,
h'onwards and h'upwards!!! :D

Tw18

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Originally posted by -<=[Tw18]=>-
Hope to see some nice small times on the table now. Come on the XP crew prove to us Intel lovers that AMD can do sub 2 hour!

Umm.. nope I'm sorry thats not how it works, how it works is I go

"neener neener come and git me slackaz!"

And you try and beat my score, whether you have Intel, AMD or something more exotic like a Xeon, Itanium or Alpha :D

Man of Honour
That would require me to stop crunching - are you realy encouraging people to be slackers?;)

I'd have to do so many configurations on the Xeon box to work out which setting is optimal. The original benchmark I did had 6 sets of results, but it turns out that I would need 36 sets of results to cover all possibilities - Linux+WINE, Linux, XP, 1 CPU, 2 CPUs, HT, etc. - that would be a ridiculous amount of non-crunching time (not to mention my time setting it all up).

If someone wants to produce a list of the benchmarks they would be most interested in (max 6), then I'll consider doing them. Now I've got a stable Linux+WINE config, I'd certainly be willing to try the 3 OS combinations.

Benchmarks on other systems are probably covered by others, or would require too much of my time to complete - sorry.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Mark G
If someone wants to produce a list of the benchmarks they would be most interested in (max 6), then I'll consider doing them. Now I've got a stable Linux+WINE config, I'd certainly be willing to try the 3 OS combinations.

LOL Mark.. well I say "bah" just push her Xeon as fast as it will go then run the Gibbo seti benchmark and see what she does. I imagine that its faster than most P4's as I believe the Xeon has an extra FPU pipeline (2 instead of the P4's 1)

Most ppl will be pushing the Win32 cli so why not stick with that.

Then you lose about 2.5 hours of crunch time on that machine max and if the score is pap then just don't submit it :D

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Biffa
Then you lose about 2.5 hours of crunch time on that machine max and if the score is pap then just don't submit it :D
So, you're saying just crunch on one CPU, and see what I get. I'm willing to do two of those, one WinXP win32 cli, and one Linux+WINE win32 cli. Actually, I need to do 3, as I'm not sure if it will be faster with HT on, or HT off (previous results suggest HT on).

No overclocking options, so that's easy.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Originally posted by Mark G
So, you're saying just crunch on one CPU, and see what I get. I'm willing to do two of those, one WinXP win32 cli, and one Linux+WINE win32 cli. Actually, I need to do 3, as I'm not sure if it will be faster with HT on, or HT off (previous results suggest HT on).

No overclocking options, so that's easy.

Don't you mean 4 - XP on/off and Wine on/off ??? - yes XP 'understands' HT more than others - but it *may* have an effect on others too??

May try the benchmark tomorrow - or next week if I get better RAM - but probably will be around Biffa's time.

M.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by MDPlatts
Don't you mean 4 - XP on/off and Wine on/off ??? - yes XP 'understands' HT more than others - but it *may* have an effect on others too??
I may do the WINE on/off, but I think the XP on/off is the more important one for the benefit of those getting new P4 boxen.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Just posted a result for the benchmark to the e-mail address in the ZIP file for - 7,525 seconds = 2 hours 5.5 mins (I think the results in the table are decimal hours) which is 2.09hours or so.

And theres more to come - faster RAM, more O/C and watercooling as well...

:D :D :D

M.

Man of Honour
Well I just ran it again after fiddling with me bits. Haven't emailed it off yet but heres the time:
new_bench.gif

Not under 1 hr for the benchy but getting there. Not bad for air methinks. :D

Man of Honour
Its the combo of the cpu (luck really in getting a good clocker) and the Nforce2 motherboard (I have the Epox 8RDA+) which allows you to unlock the multis without changing the chip.

In the end tho tis luck, if you can get it all working right and you have the time to play with every combo.

e.g. tonight after work I had an hour to play, had to reset the cmos about 5 times after pushing too hard. No harm done but its another few minutes to reset everything.

Ended up with 12.0 Multi X 203 FSB (synch) anything higher on the FSB and the thing wouldn't boot even at 1.9V and I have good memory, but this is a work machine and has a SCSI card in it which might be holding it back I think it also needs a fan on the northbridge to take it any further.

Managed to get it stable with that at 1.875V on the core and 2.77V on the memory. And CPU is at 43°C running SETI :) so I'm pretty chuffed.

mbm1.gif

If I have more time I'll try and get a bench at 2:00 or under but right now I'm pleased that not only did I beat my old score I think, but I also should be able to run 24/7 at that speed too :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Heres mine for comparison:-

dashboard.jpg

Some considerable difference in voltages - mines the abit nf7-s with a 430W Enermax PSU and MBM 5.2.2.0 with the 5.2.2.8 DLL. Think its setup right - will have to check the livewire website.

M.

Back
Top Bottom