Number of children being referred to gender identity clinics has quadrupled in five years

Caporegime
About 500 years ago there was overwhelming evidence that the Earth was flat, it didn't help that the church suppressed any research claiming otherwise mind.

Too much of science is politically driven nowadays.

Soldato
OP
From my experience I find the worst behave people to come from families where they do not discipline their children because 'what's the point'.

You can discipline children without hitting them. Just because you don't see a child bent over and being belted, doesn't mean they aren't being disciplined.

I will most likely spank my children should I feel the situation warrants it.

I beg you not to and to do the research into it. You'll thank yourself later when they are older.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
The studies are the studies I guess... From my experience I find the worst behave people to come from families where they do not discipline their children because 'what's the point'.

Coming at this as a teacher, in my experience the children with the worst behaviour tend to come from families where physical discipline is fairly common. They have learnt that if someone does something you are unhappy with, hitting them is an acceptable way of behaving.

I will most likely spank my children should I feel the situation warrants it.

What situation would warrant hitting a child? I cannot think of any situation at all where the best response is to hit the child.

Soldato
but a hulking bloke with a beared and a build like a hells angel using the ladies is fine as they still have a vagina?

but the 5'4" petite blonde with boobs should definitely use the mens, because shes still got a penis?

Here are my two cents for the blokes/birds using prisons/toilets/changing rooms

Prisons - This is the current system: Each case is assessed on a person by person basis and usually people who are thought of as in danger of or a danger to other prisoners are kept in a separate wing under higher security surveillance. They are kept with 'high risk' prisoners (these include prisoners with certain reputations, not mentally sound, those who have committed certain crimes). They do this for the sake of prisoner safety and if each person is assessed correctly, i think this is the correct way to handle prisoners who identify as another gender. This is prison, not a holiday, personal preference does not come into it, as long as their (and the other prisoners) safety is a priority, their human rights is not breached as far as this gender identity thing goes.

Change rooms/toilets - Public toilets and changing rooms. Really it is not so much about safety but rather comfort and comfort of everyone, not just yourself. It is not about who you want to appear as to society or who you identify as. Since you share these places with everyone else, the choice of which room you choose should really only have one question of relevance: which place would be most appropriate to make everyone else in the room more comfortable?

Surely if you want to go take a dump, you just want to go in, do your business and leave. If you were a hulking guy with a vagina or visa versa, you would feel more comfortable going to whatever toilet causes the least commotion, jeering, 'eeking'.

Soldato
Coming at this as a teacher, in my experience the children with the worst behaviour tend to come from families where physical discipline is fairly common. They have learnt that if someone does something you are unhappy with, hitting them is an acceptable way of behaving.

What situation would warrant hitting a child? I cannot think of any situation at all where the best response is to hit the child.

You can discipline children without hitting them. Just because you don't see a child bent over and being belted, doesn't mean they aren't being disciplined.

I beg you not to and to do the research into it. You'll thank yourself later when they are older.

It certainly makes for an interesting debate. At least this is more sensible than some 'debates' where people scream 'WELL ARE YOU A PARENT? IF NOT YOUR OPINION IS INVALID' or 'YOU TRYING TO TELL ME HIW TO RAISE ME CHILD?!?!'

Suppose it's about being sensible in the end. I was smacked as a form of discipline very rarely if I had crossed the line, swore at my parents, hit them, etc. Which I feel is reasonable. My parents were smacked both by parents and at school, as was pretty normal back then.

As for your teaching experience I don't doubt you. Again it's probably our exposures to different up bringings. I imagine kids that are constantly smacked, shouted down to, etc. probably do wind up being brats. Likewise in my experience kids who have parents who couldn't care enough even to discipline them in anyway end up being brats. Opposite ends of a 'bad parenting' spectrum imo.

You have certainly given me food for thought, however I am still in the camp of the occasional smack, as long as the reasons are clear, and it deemed appropriate (this will vary - but like with me hitting or swearing at my parents) children will still turn out fine.

In the real world.. hitting or swearing at someone will likely lead to you being smacked any how :D

RDM

RDM

Soldato
You have certainly given me food for thought, however I am still in the camp of the occasional smack, as long as the reasons are clear, and it deemed appropriate (this will vary - but like with me hitting or swearing at my parents) children will still turn out fine.

In the real world.. hitting or swearing at someone will likely lead to you being smacked any how :D

I used to think the same way, but having looked at the research, worked with children and had my own child I have changed my mind. I cannot think of a situation where hitting a child is the best response. There are almost always better ways of dealing with the situation.

You also have the question of what age is hitting someone no longer an appropriate response? If we hit an adult and it isn't self defence then you are effectively committing an assault.

Soldato
Saw a kid push his sister toward the road when shopping with their mum. Their mum bought ice-cream for everyone but the naughty kid, looked devastating. Sounds ridiculous but a kid who was naughty soon forgets after a small smack. Hell, eventually he may think some of the stuff he does is worth the trade... missing out on the days treat and having to watch everyone else enjoy it would probably be remembered for a while.

Doesn't sound like much of discipline but as one of a triplet where my parents enforced an all or none of you rule with things like presents/treats, something like rewarding the others and withholding from the naughty kid is pretty harsh! I would remember those punishments more than any other.

Soldato
About 500 years ago there was overwhelming evidence that the Earth was flat, it didn't help that the church suppressed any research claiming otherwise mind.

Huh? European knowledge of the curvature of the Earth pre-dates the church by several hundred years.

Soldato
I have never hit my child and I rarely raise my voice. I can tell you something, when she nearly walked into the road without looking, I grabbed her back by the arm and gave her a talking to about road safety, it really sank in. She cried, I cried (a bit :p) and she'll never do that again. Violence != discipline

Some of her feral classmates would have shrugged that off and acted up

Caporegime
Saw a kid push his sister toward the road when shopping with their mum. Their mum bought ice-cream for everyone but the naughty kid, looked devastating. Sounds ridiculous but a kid who was naughty soon forgets after a small smack. Hell, eventually he may think some of the stuff he does is worth the trade... missing out on the days treat and having to watch everyone else enjoy it would probably be remembered for a while.

Doesn't sound like much of discipline but as one of a triplet where my parents enforced an all or none of you rule with things like presents/treats, something like rewarding the others and withholding from the naughty kid is pretty harsh! I would remember those punishments more than any other.

What about some good ol' waterboarding, the kids will soon change their tune.

RDM

RDM

Soldato
Modern society is messed up.

You are born male/female

Biologically is that simple

Except in those cases when people aren't. But if we ignore those, then yes, you are born male or female.

Of course what that means is what biological sex organs you have, we then throw in a whole load of societal expectations as to how people born with a certain set of sex organs should act...

Man of Honour

There has never been overwhelming evidence that the Earth was flat. There is no meaningful evidence that anyone ever thought it was. The church never suppressed any research claiming that the Earth is not flat.

Nowhere near as much as claims made up that go against all evidence solely to support a political agenda. Like what you've just done.

EDIT: For a bit of context, the oldest known formal proof(*) that the Earth is spherical is ancient Greek from about 500BC, i.e. centuries before "the church" even existed. The size of the Earth was known by ~200BC. The only thing that was wrong about the ancient Greek understanding of the shape of the Earth is that they thought it was a perfect sphere but it's very slightly flattened due to rotation.

* From a combination of observations of the relative movements of the sun, earth and moon and the shadow of the earth on the moon and from a mathematical understanding of geometry, the proof shows that the earth casts a circular shadow on the moon from all angles and that the only shape which casts a circular shadow from all angles is a sphere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here are my two cents for the blokes/birds using prisons/toilets/changing rooms

Prisons - This is the current system: Each case is assessed on a person by person basis and usually people who are thought of as in danger of or a danger to other prisoners are kept in a separate wing under higher security surveillance. They are kept with 'high risk' prisoners (these include prisoners with certain reputations, not mentally sound, those who have committed certain crimes). They do this for the sake of prisoner safety and if each person is assessed correctly, i think this is the correct way to handle prisoners who identify as another gender. This is prison, not a holiday, personal preference does not come into it, as long as their (and the other prisoners) safety is a priority, their human rights is not breached as far as this gender identity thing goes.

Change rooms/toilets - Public toilets and changing rooms. Really it is not so much about safety but rather comfort and comfort of everyone, not just yourself. It is not about who you want to appear as to society or who you identify as. Since you share these places with everyone else, the choice of which room you choose should really only have one question of relevance: which place would be most appropriate to make everyone else in the room more comfortable?

Surely if you want to go take a dump, you just want to go in, do your business and leave. If you were a hulking guy with a vagina or visa versa, you would feel more comfortable going to whatever toilet causes the least commotion, jeering, 'eeking'.

You're righr atlnd thats pretty much how the trans community faces the problem currently.

The issue being calls for laws (and them being enacted in the usa) which force them to act one way or another.

As a society we seem determined to remove common sense or a case by case basis for a blanket law based option

Caporegime
That's because 99 percent of people are normal m or f.

It's really great that trans people are also acknowledged properly now but the overwhelming majority are still, for use of a better word, normal.

I'm all up for gender neutral loos and a 3rd "everyone else" changing rooms, but I don't think society really is at least not most countries.

Soldato
The issue being calls for laws (and them being enacted in the usa) which force them to act one way or another.

The situation in some parts of America is crazy. Non-trans women have been dragged out of ladies bathrooms (by men!) for not looking feminine enough.

Soldato
The situation in some parts of America is crazy. Non-trans women have been dragged out of ladies bathrooms (by men!) for not looking feminine enough.

Got a link to the story? I haven't heard of these crazy happenings.

Surely a bit of common sense and this issue is not complicated. If your using the bathroom for what its for, its not like anyone else in the room should and would give a *pun* anyway.

Back
Top Bottom