Number of drinks needed to give you a hangover?

Soldato
I can't drink a lot but it doesn't bother me.
I stopped hanging out with all my friends because of this, every friday i'd text them asking what they were doing, their reply was 'getting hammered' to which my reply was ok have fun with that.

It got boring very quickly sitting in the pub.
Remember when I was younger and I go out to meet some my friends at about 8pm on Friday/saturday and they would be already hammered...So I use to just leave a lot of the time.

Permabanned
don't normally drink beer just voddy or rum .. and don't normally get a hangover .. but I do drink most days ..2-3 glasses
but then I also drink at least 3 ltrs of water a day

edit .. oh and I don't do pubs unless it's for a meal and only have 1 ale

Last edited:
Soldato
Only drink shorts, usually straight vodka, but sometimes Jaeger bombs and the like. As a teenager my friends tried to talk me into drinking beer, but it doesn't taste nice, so why would i? If I want a nice tasting drink, Coke is for me. If I want to get drunk, shots does it just fine.

I think I've only ever had 3 hangovers in my life. I don't drink often, usually get to around 20 shots, nicely drunk, but still wake around 8am and feel fine (although a little tired. I do wish I could sleep in)

Associate
I only get hangovers (of the proper, I can't do life today style) if I didn't eat properly on the day before. I don't do spirits any more, and tend to spread beers over a long period (woo 24 hour licensing), so hangovers now are just pretty effective reminders to take a bit more care of myself/my diet.

Caporegime
There are too many variables. Different alcohol types affect people differently. How fed and hydrated you were at the time, the length and quality of your sleep, how tired you were when you actually went to bed, amount of time between your last drink and bed, whether or not you ate before bed, etc. It also changes with diet and age...

And then what do you actually classify as a hangover? You can have a slight hangover, or a horrendous hangover, and anything in between...

Pointless question! :p

Soldato
Depends on the quality of the alcohol.

If I stick to good quality rheinheitsgebot beer like Augustiner then not too bad. If I mix it up with cheap export beers or commit the cardinal sin of finishing the night with a gin then I'm good for nothing the next day, and still feeling tired the day after.

I'm 37 in a few weeks and the hangovers have become just not worth it, got better things to do with my time and money, so hangovers are few and far between these days.

Soldato
4-6 definitely, it will be a headache lasting good part of the day to 5pm at least
will feel depressed and somewhat anxious
having said that i've had a few headaches with only 3 drinks of late
so the outlook is poor :p

Soldato
I had two pints, a bottle and a Rum and coke last weekend. That caused me to wake up groggy with a headache and it took till lunchtime to start feeling better.

I'm 38 and as the months pass I'm literally getting worse and worse at drinking. I've started getting migraines that are triggered by alcohol. A lot of my mates are turning 40 soon and have big day / night out plans. They are still monsters on the beer and there is no way I'll be keeping up,

Soldato
I'm 32 and rarely drink at all now, just the occasional night out, so I'm not able to drink all night then function normally the next day like I could in my early twenties. A couple of beers is all it takes to ensure I'm feeling fuzzy headed and dry mouthed the next morning.

However, I've been on nights out where I didn't touch beer and stuck to spiced rum and cokes all night. The result was that even after drinking 7-8 of those over a few hours, I didn't actually feel as drunk as I did drinking beer - no memory loss, none of the slurred speech and slight disorientation, and the next morning I felt fit as a fiddle. So I think I just need to stay off beer from now on :D

Associate
OP
Last two posters are a lot like me. I think my problem is I took a break from drinking to lose weight so I'm not accustomed to it and the following day is usually bad.

I went from going out every weekend to once a month. Also in my 30s now so that doesn't help.

Soldato
I drink 1 bottle of whatever spirit is on discount in tesco/sainsburys with a mixer suitable. Mild hangover.

On occasion at work i will drink half a bottle of whisky on my break, no hangover.

Used to work on a small building site, we would finish 4-5pm, go to the pub, get totally **** faced, then go back to work 8am, start digging and sweat everything off easy. Old English guys + younger guys from Yugoslavia myself being the latter.

Seems to be old British people can drink good and don't moan, but younger people tend to drink less and moan even more.

Is this before or after the fish finger sandwiches?

Soldato
It's completely random for me, can't work it out at all. I can have 6 pints and be sick then have 10 double gins and be fine the next day. It's not to do with food either as I tried eating/not eating etc doesn't seem to make a difference.

Man of Honour
I've never drank enough to get a hangover.
I have drank enough to get a spinning bedroom and also to be sick.

I could identify with that, up until my mid twenties, then I gave up beer forever, and started on whisky, sometimes straight, sometimes with dry ginger.
Still didn't experience hangovers, but some mornings, (as my friend described it), my mouth would taste like a Chinese officer's jock-strap, (don't ask).
Then, one memorable night in Poznan, Poland, where whisky was expensive, it was suggested by my Polish girlfriend that I give the local hooch, (vodka), a try, at around 4p a shot, or 4d in those days.
Initially it worked like LSD, I tried to fly from the balcony of my girlfriend's aunt's apartment, fortunately it was on the ground floor, and all that happened was that I got my strides covered in mud.
But on the whole, it's been vodka all the way since then, with never a hint of a hangover.
There have been times when I felt like bleugh on waking, but smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, and rye bread soon got rid of that.

Back
Top Bottom