Number of drinks needed to give you a hangover?

Permabanned
Haven't had a proper, full on, day wrecking hangover for years now.

I only ever stick to one type depending on the evenings events.

If it's at someone's house then it's three big bottles of Leffe and as much water as I can keep down before hitting the hay.

If we're clubbing then it's G&T's until home time, then more water still.

However, if I do feel it the following day I always put it down to a disrupted sleeping pattern rather then the booze. Just a case of chilling out with plenty of pizza and water xD

Soldato
It varies, and depends on how much I've eaten before and how much water I drink before going to bed.

Full stomach and lots of water and i'll not be too bad after quite a lot

Caporegime
4 drinks and I'll feel it the next day. 6 drinks and I'll be hungover. 8 drinks and the next day is a total write off.

I think the last time I had a proper hangover was about 18 months ago after leaving do from my last job. I don't remember much of the evening, though I seem to recall taking my top off in the pub for some reason. I had a McDonalds in the back of the taxi on the way home and then I left the massive box of chocolates and my leaving card that I'd been given in there - whoops. I slept on the sofa at home. The next day I was utterly ruined, which didn't go down too well with the wife. We were just in the process of driving down to my daughter's swimming lesson when I declared I was going to be sick so she kicked me out at the side of the road to walk home. I was in the doghouse. I wasn't sick, though, which is an improvement over my teenage years when that happened all the time.

I'm not a fan of spirits, they don't seem to agree with me. I once had a horrendous time after drinking rum and coke and I can't really bear it since then. Cheap red wine is a disaster as well.

Soldato
4 drinks and I'll feel it the next day. 6 drinks and I'll be hungover. 8 drinks and the next day is a total write off.

I think the last time I had a proper hangover was about 18 months ago after leaving do from my last job. I don't remember much of the evening, though I seem to recall taking my top off in the pub for some reason. I had a McDonalds in the back of the taxi on the way home and then I left the massive box of chocolates and my leaving card that I'd been given in there - whoops. I slept on the sofa at home. The next day I was utterly ruined, which didn't go down too well with the wife. We were just in the process of driving down to my daughter's swimming lesson when I declared I was going to be sick so she kicked me out at the side of the road to walk home. I was in the doghouse. I wasn't sick, though, which is an improvement over my teenage years when that happened all the time.

I'm not a fan of spirits, they don't seem to agree with me. I once had a horrendous time after drinking rum and coke and I can't really bear it since then. Cheap red wine is a disaster as well.
I find Wine in general causes the worst hangovers. I can easily get hammered on rum and be fine the next day

Soldato
All to do with eating for me. I had 6/7 beers yesterday, but that was ontop of a good breakfast and followed with a roast dinner. I woke up this morning and didn't even flinch.

If I did the same without enough food I'd be in a right state today.

Mixing beer and wine or spirits is a bad one for me too. Just one of the 3 and I'm generally okay so long as I eat and get a good kip. Mix them and it's not good.

Soldato
Once in a previous life when I used to be Laboratory Manager in a Brewery we had to scientifically sit down with a sheet of paper and write down after drinking a pint of the subject liquid how it tasted and how we felt. This went on officially up to pint 5 although for some special liquids there was some overtime put in by some of the tasting panel to see it through to 8+ (although only 5 were recorded). The faces the next day would be enough to show if they had been good samples or not

Officially to gauge if said liquid was the sort of drink you could drink until the cows came home or if after 2 or 3 you had to swap to something else if it wasn't a session drink

All in the name of science of course......

Man of Honour
Lol @ all the "I don't drink never had a hangover" posters.

Is it to give themselves a virtual pat on the back?

Don't you believe them?
Why don't you believe them, is it because you judge everybody by your own standards?
Me personally I had alcohol around the age of 14 like most teenagers and I hated it so was teetotal until the age of 40 when I was taken to a Real Ale pub.
The aim of this was to shut me up because I always maintained all beer tastes the same and tastes like crap but I was proven wrong.
So in the last 19 years I've had zero need to binge until I'm in a coma and end up with a hangover the following day.

Soldato
These days I only need to have 2 single shots of whiskey before feeling horrendous the next morning. I don't touch any form of beer or cider, so don't know what limits I have with that re hangovers.

A shame really as I enjoy a good whiskey or bourbon but as I get older my body tend to gravitate to the healthy lifestyle and alchohol don't seem to mix well with that.

Soldato
I don't actually tend to get hangovers either.

You can prevent it by drinking loads of water before going to sleep. It's lack of water due to the body using it to dilute the alcohol then pee it out that causes it.

Last edited:
Caporegime
you can stop a hangover completely in it's tracks by sobering up a bit before going to sleep. if you go to sleep blazing you will be a wreck but if you can stay awake for another hour or two and get some decent food and water in you, you will wake up fresh.

Soldato
Depends on the company, the ambience and the rate of drinking. With a couple of mates, some good music and snacks, we can finish a bottle of decent scotch over several hours and not get a hang over. Drinking several pints in the pub I can feel wrecked the next morning.

Back
Top Bottom