Number Plate Transfer on New Car

Associate
Hey folks.

I've bought a new car, which I'll be picking up next week. The new car already has a registration assigned to it by the DVLA (as per standard procedure). I have another registration on the [V750] form. I'd like to apply this registration to the car. Searching up online, it appears that I can do this through the gov.uk website.

My 2 questions are below:
1) Do I need to have the vehicle logbook [V5C] for the vehicle first, before I do this process?
2) I've read that I can use the new plates after the application is confirmed. Would this mean I can then apply the new plates onto the car as soon as I've received the number plate authorisation certificate [eV958] from the DVLA (i.e. not have to wait for replacement V5C)?

So if I'm correct, my plan of action should be as follows:
a) Pick up the car and make sure I have the [V5C] logbook
b) Apply for the number plate transfer using the [V750] at gov.uk
c) Wait for number plate authorisation certificate [eV958]
d) Profit (obviously at some point get the new plates made and inform my insurer of the change)?

I have also heard that it may be possible to get this done through the dealership, saving hassle on my part. But I would like to retain the original registration of the vehicle (which I know is possible through gov.uk route), not sure if the dealership does that. My plan is to retain the registration (and put back on the original one) in the event I ever part ways with the car.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Back
Top Bottom