• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 1070 - High idle clocks 144Hz monitor

Soldato
Installed my 1070 FE yesterday, cracking card and very happy with it, but noticed today that it's running almost 1Ghz clock speeds at idle on the desktop:

y3RZ6IW.png

I was aware of this 144Hz high idle speed issue many months ago on Maxwell, though I was led to believe that this had been fixed in drivers.

Anyone else getting this problem with Pascal?

My 390X ran at 150Mhz or something at idle.

Soldato
I have the same problem and it is unfortunately due to the 144hz even on pascal and no it has not been fixed yet. If you put your monitor to 120hz for desktop use it will resolve the issue.

Thats what works for me anyway and to be honest for the desktop there is a minute difference between 120-144hz.

Soldato
OP
I have the same problem and it is unfortunately due to the 144hz even on pascal and no it has not been fixed yet. If you put your monitor to 120hz for desktop use it will resolve the issue.

Thats what works for me anyway and to be honest for the desktop there is a minute difference between 120-144hz.

Well that's disappointing - I remember that several diehard NVIDIA posters were insisting that this issue had been fixed a few months ago with a new driver.

So you are manually changing your refresh rate to 144Hz when you play games, then manually swapping it back to 120Hz when you finish playing? Or is there some way of doing this automatically in the drivers? I'm new to this NVIDAI stuff :p

Soldato
OP
You can have higher refresh rates in games than the desktop.

How? I only see one option for refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel.

Where are these posts you talk about?

To be clear, I meant posters such as D.P, Gregster and other pro NVIDIA users who show up in every thread to defend nvidia and attack AMD etc. I can't be bothered to go and find the quotes from a few months ago to quote, but rest assured that they were posting in many threads saying this issue had been fixed.

Associate
Must be a bug with pascal as my 980ti downclocks. core voltage is slightly higher so runs a bit hotter that at 120hz

in 3d settings set preferred refresh rate to highest available and you can set your refresh rate to 120 and it will go to 144 in games.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Its fixed for me at 144Hz idle - well still runs at ~300MHz depending on which GPU I'm using but that is better than flat out and 144Hz is always going to require somewhat higher level clocks to maintain complete stability.

Set power management to adaptive and preferred refresh rate to highest available in the nVidia control panel 3D settings bit and set desktop to 120Hz under change resolution and it should run 120Hz at idle and 144Hz in games.

Man of Honour
I dont understand why can AMD have lower clocks at 144hz and Nvidia can not? Genuine Question

To be frank AMD are a bit over aggressive with it - which causes some stability problems on some higher refresh panels as seen by people who can't run certain monitors over 120Hz on some 290 series cards.

Generally though it seems to have been a lower priority for nVidia for some reason.

(You also have the factor that you can't directly equate MHz to MHz AMD and nVidia due to a number of reasons it is best to look at the power draw at idle).

Caporegime
How? I only see one option for refresh rate in the NVIDIA control panel.

To be clear, I meant posters such as D.P, Gregster and other pro NVIDIA users who show up in every thread to defend nvidia and attack AMD etc. I can't be bothered to go and find the quotes from a few months ago to quote, but rest assured that they were posting in many threads saying this issue had been fixed.
This was an issue a while back on some driver versions, though the last update i did fixed it. Prior to that on my monitor i just set refresh rate to 120Hz, then once a game loaded up it went straight to 144Hz.

Soldato
OP
(You also have the factor that you can't directly equate MHz to MHz AMD and nVidia due to a number of reasons it is best to look at the power draw at idle).

The problem is that the reviewers are setting their monitors to 60Hz, as the power draw and idle temperatures they report are obviously done at 2D clock speeds - something no end user will get out of the box if they have a 144Hz monitor.

Here's the HardOCP review power draw/temperatures data:

YgJdIRq.png

It's not intuitive for the user to have to set their 144Hz monitor to 120Hz, then set 3d settings to 'prefer highest available' in order for the best power efficiency - it should just work out of the box like that IMO.

Hopefully this is fixed soon. With the popularity of high refresh rate monitors, we can bet that many users are unaware. Sure some won't care - but others will. I prefer my cards to run as cool as possible especially in the Summer time etc.

Associate
It's not intuitive for the user to have to set their 144Hz monitor to 120Hz, then set 3d settings to 'prefer highest available' in order for the best power efficiency - it should just work out of the box like that IMO.

It does work out of the box if you dont touch any settings in the 3d bit.

Have you changed the power management mode?

Man of Honour
144hz monitor here at 1440p.

Albeit im still on an older driver version.

Weird none of the GPUs I've tried clock down to 135MHz - depending on GPU ~280-330MHz - though I've got firefox running with hardware acceleration (and too lazy to test without it at the moment) which might be holding the clocks higher.

EDIT: Nope killed FF and still running around 300MHz on the Kepler and Maxwell cards I've got booted up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom