• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Nvidia 7800GT or ATI 1800XL?

Permabanned
Both similar prices, I've read the 1800XL is a bit faster? Although I want to hold off onto 512MB cards become a bit more affordable, should give a boost for games with a lot of texture memory requirements.

Caporegime
ajgoodfellow said:
I just linked to that page because I copied it from another thread :)

There really isn't a huge amount between them TBH

Agreed, the GT may be faster, but the frame difference is nothing, couple of frames here/there, just go for the cheapest as they are both fantastic cards, and both good clockers, you can get the GT for less than £185 if you shop around, and thats with the VAT as well. :)

Permabanned
OP
Like to get the ATI, however shoddy opengl is a bit worrying. Also Nvidia allows me to get another 7800GT later on, so if I'm getting 25fps the second one should bump it back to acceptable level.

God knows why ATI have to create their own SLI thing!

Associate
badbob said:
Like to get the ATI, however shoddy opengl is a bit worrying. Also Nvidia allows me to get another 7800GT later on, so if I'm getting 25fps the second one should bump it back to acceptable level.

God knows why ATI have to create their own SLI thing!

one word.. copywrite...

Having said that the ATI one is better. Some games don't even work with SLI, ALL work with Crossfire (So I've been led to believe).

Not sure entirely the technical reasons why SLI doesn't work with all but I believe Crossfire does because the Master card takes the normal graphics requests then processes them as it see's fit. So the graphics engine see's one card. I believe SLI doesn't do this ( which is logical given they use two identicle cards rather than a Master/Slave system ).

Permabanned
OP
Except of course you need a crossfire motherboard. So now we have a choice of

AMD or Intel
ATI or Nvidia
ATI Crossfire or Nvidia SLI

All incompatible between each other and non swappable.

Soldato
Foxor` said:
looks like the 6800GT beats the 1800XL in some tests - LAME
where did you see this ???

Id go for the X1800XL.
At stock both equal, but X1800XL cards seem to overclock far better & hence gain more performance. This has been confirmed by Gibbo, as has their great IQ.

Caporegime
Having said that the ATI one is better. Some games don't even work with SLI, ALL work with Crossfire (So I've been led to believe).

BS to be honest, SLI has a lot better compatability than cross-fire, and is more efficient. Look at the result for soemthing like FEAR- ATIs best performing game, Crossfire gains a lot less percentage tha SLI does.

Soldato
D.P. said:
BS to be honest, SLI has a lot better compatability than cross-fire, and is more efficient. Look at the result for soemthing like FEAR- ATIs best performing game, Crossfire gains a lot less percentage tha SLI does.

Havent tried crossfire yet so cant comment on that.

But games like Age of Empires III, Seroius Sam 2, Fable: The lost chapters actually run slower on SLI 7800GTX cards than on a single GTX card.
SLI overhead slows the cards down as the games are not properly supported.

So SLI not working on all games stands, unless being slower than a single cards means SLI works.

have a look at tomshardware.com for related info & benchmarks.

Back
Top Bottom