• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I’ve been running top SLI cards for 8 years now, and I’m currently using 2 2080Tis. I know very well the advantages and limitations of SLI.

I have a Corsair 900D and a Rampage VI Apex, so space is not an issue.

My PSU is a Corsair AX1200 Gold. It should be enough, but, if it isn’t, I will buy a new one.

I’ll take any additional performance I can get, especially to get a minimum of 60 FPS with everything maxed out at 4K.

Money is not an issue, but where did you get the £3200 from?

I know that SLI is not in great shape at the moment, but there are still quite a few games with decent scaling out there, and I don’t mind tinkering with Nvidia Inspector.
Ok, around £2800-3200 depending which model you buy... use your knouse and make some mental adjustments based on the model. The average in the middle would be £3000.

Also what do you think of the Gamers Nexus video... are you happy with that performance increase for the money? if so then get them ordered!

Soldato
I’ve been running top SLI cards for 8 years now, and I’m currently using 2 2080Tis. I know very well the advantages and limitations of SLI.

I have a Corsair 900D and a Rampage VI Apex, so space is not an issue.

My PSU is a Corsair AX1200 Gold. It should be enough, but, if it isn’t, I will buy a new one.

I’ll take any additional performance I can get, especially to get a minimum of 60 FPS with everything maxed out at 4K.

Money is not an issue, but where did you get the £3200 from?

I know that SLI is not in great shape at the moment, but there are still quite a few games with decent scaling out there, and I don’t mind tinkering with Nvidia Inspector.

For looks and money is no object maybe but the 3090 is 10-15% faster than 3080 and nearly twice the price.

IMO there shouldn’t be many if any games a 3090 can’t run 4k 60fps with maxed settings. And if there is then it’s either extremely unoptimised or those settings are simply not worth it.

Even with a single 2080Ti there hasn’t been many games for me.

I personally would invest in a really nice monitor such as a cx48 OLED or bigger. That will be a much better upgrade IMO than going from 2080Ti SLI to 3090 SLI as it will do 4k 120hz with vrr. Or even a cx48 paired with a 3090 for the same or similar price. Far better experience. No 4k monitor looks anywhere near as good.

SLI support these days is very much non existent and for the most part not worth it other than for looks etc. I used to have SLI and since around 1080Ti I gave it up as it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

Associate
Ok, around £2800-3200 depending which model you buy... use your knouse and make some mental adjustments based on the model. The average in the middle would be £3000.

Also what do you think of the Gamers Nexus video... are you happy with that performance increase for the money? if so then get them ordered!

I’ll be spending £2900 for 2 cards and the SLI bridge, which is £300 shy of the £3200 you initially mentioned.

I’ve seen the video, and it didn’t really tell me anything that I wasn’t expecting, but thanks, it was interesting nonetheless.

I’d really like to have as much performance as possible, so I think I’ll go with 2 FEs.

Also, if I moved from 2 2080 Tis to a single 3090 I would actually lose performance in some games, so it wouldn’t really be an upgrade.

Associate
For looks and money is no object maybe but the 3090 is 10-15% faster than 3080 and nearly twice the price.

IMO there shouldn’t be many if any games a 3090 can’t run 4k 60fps with maxed settings. And if there is then it’s either extremely unoptimised or those settings are simply not worth it.

Even with a single 2080Ti there hasn’t been many games for me.

I personally would invest in a really nice monitor such as a cx48 OLED or bigger. That will be a much better upgrade IMO than going from 2080Ti SLI to 3090 SLI as it will do 4k 120hz with vrr. Or even a cx48 paired with a 3090 for the same or similar price. Far better experience. No 4k monitor looks anywhere near as good.

SLI support these days is very much non existent and for the most part not worth it other than for looks etc. I used to have SLI and since around 1080Ti I gave it up as it just wasn’t worth it anymore.

It depends on what you are looking for. I’d like to have increased performance, even if in a subset of games. Also, I can’t really buy a monitor that is larger than 32 inches, as that would start WW3 with my wife.

Soldato
It depends on what you are looking for. I’d like to have increased performance, even if in a subset of games. Also, I can’t really buy a monitor that is larger than 32 inches, as that would start WW3 with my wife.

:D I’m suprised £3000 in GPU’s doesn’t start ww3 either haha! Big shame then as they really do look stunning and are probably the best for gaming IMO.

I have my 32” for fps and OLED for rpgs both on pc and nothing comes close. Even my PS4 pro puts the monitor to shame on the OLED.

Obviously it is your money your choice. If you want the upmost performance then 3090 SLI is the only way to go! Be interesting seeing the performance though surely 4k 120hz?

Soldato

I’d love to know why you can’t have a bigger monitor...is it in the shared living space or something?

Associate
I’d love to know why you can’t have a bigger monitor...is it in the shared living space or something?

My PC with a 32 inches monitor is in the corner of the living room. In the same room I have a 65 inches Samsung Q9FN TV.

If I get an even bigger monitor, the room will resemble a NASA mission control center, rather than a living area.

Also, I’m not sure that anything bigger than 32 inches would fit my desk.

Associate
:D I’m suprised £3000 in GPU’s doesn’t start ww3 either haha! Big shame then as they really do look stunning and are probably the best for gaming IMO.

I have my 32” for fps and OLED for rpgs both on pc and nothing comes close. Even my PS4 pro puts the monitor to shame on the OLED.

Obviously it is your money your choice. If you want the upmost performance then 3090 SLI is the only way to go! Be interesting seeing the performance though surely 4k 120hz?

I already have a 65 inches Samsung Q9FN TV close to the PC. A bigger monitor would make the room look ridiculous.

Caporegime
My PC with a 32 inches monitor is in the corner of the living room. In the same room I have a 65 inches Samsung Q9FN TV.

If I get an even bigger monitor, the room will resemble a NASA mission control center, rather than a living area.

Also, I’m not sure that anything bigger than 32 inches would fit my desk.

I understand your pain. For 21 years my computer desk was the cupboard under the stairs in the lounge and I could only fit a 32" screen in there maximum until I built a complete new office/man den this year, 5m x 4m and now I can fit in a 48" LG CX :)

Caporegime
Ahhh, I remember the days of having one shared computer for the entire household sat in an alcove in the corner of the living room. Bad times

21 years of gaming with headphones on and only using the 550w 5.1 surround sound when my partner is out. Also meant that in the 2000+ hours i have racked up playing various versions of battlefield I have only used the mic in about 100 hours of that time lol

Associate
Ahhh, I remember the days of having one shared computer for the entire household sat in an alcove in the corner of the living room. Bad times

We have a PC, a Macbook Pro, and an iPad.

I used to have a dedicated PC room, then the family size increased and I was relegated to the corner of the living room. Unfortunately space is in short supply in London, especially in my area.

Soldato
21 years of gaming with headphones on and only using the 550w 5.1 surround sound when my partner is out. Also meant that in the 2000+ hours i have racked up playing various versions of battlefield I have only used the mic in about 100 hours of that time lol

I feel like I'm going to be going that way eventually with a child on the way. If we have another after this I get evicted from my 'man cave' aka the other spare room. Ha!

Associate
I understand your pain. For 21 years my computer desk was the cupboard under the stairs in the lounge and I could only fit a 32" screen in there maximum until I built a complete new office/man den this year, 5m x 4m and now I can fit in a 48" LG CX :)

That would be my dream, but I live not far from central London...

Back
Top Bottom