1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by LoadsaMoney, 4 Oct 2019.

1. Richdog

Caporegime

Don't worry, statistically over half of the married people on the forum will end up divorced. :p

2. harney

Wise Guy

Oh no the horde will be over here soon :p

3. Th0nt

Capodecina

The 3080 debacle will just accelerate this. :p

4. Frubeling

Wise Guy

What a joyous statistic

5. SDK^

Capodecina

Sounds to me his issue is space, not the marriage.

6. Richdog

Caporegime

Half of the statistics you will hear are not joyous.

7. Greebo

Caporegime

The sneaking in of computer gear can be an issue (especially if I forget to tick the delivery address to work and my new expensive gfx card ends up getting delivered to home :)) but also it does have its benefits ;)

8. Frubeling

Wise Guy

It's been some years since me and my ex broke up but even never making it to marriage, even dropping £20 on something "not essential" would result in some choice words. I don't even want to imagine how she'd have reacted to my dropping £1850 in one purchase

9. malachi

Capodecina

My girlfriend (who doesn't live with me) questioned why I purchase one of these GPU's for the price they are....I just told her.

"Until you make more money then me then I will listen to you about what I spend my money on, until then you don't have a voice in this." Her response......"Ok, fair enough"

10. OG Don Mecca

Hitman

I have to some how cover the fact I have just dropped 1470 on a 3080 and a new monitor...... but tbf this is why we have solo and joint accounts

So I can squirrel away money for upgrades and not have to explain where the money has gone ... I just have to explain why I'm having stuff delivered, lucky she don't know how much stuff costs lol

She knows about the gpu.... now I need to figure out how to explain the monitor.....

11. degen

Hitman

Glad I'm not waiting for a card from OCUK

12. kevy1986

Hitman

Wonder how many cancellations come in now.

13. Illuminist

Soldato

It came with it as part of a deal

14. McGraw

Mobster

Your girlfriend probably won't ever live with you if you keep talking to her like that...good plan if meant

15. 2Thumbs

Mobster

So on the flip side do you always question her purchasing decisions because she earns less than you?

My frame of mind with tech purchases is "would I be willing to spend this much on a car that I need for me to make a living/pay mortgage/bills etc." If the answer is no, I don't buy it.

That's around £500 :o

16. jonneymendoza

Capodecina

Well buy the car first and if you can, buy a gpu?

Most if not all who buy this already have a roof over there head, paying the bills etc etc mate

17. 2Thumbs

Mobster

Wasn't pointing my finger at anyone, just giving me mind set on the situation of expensive purchases. I wasn't talking literally, it's just how I personally decide if a purchase of a depreciating item is worth it.

18. XeNoNF50

Wise Guy

Sooooo I guess these ampere cards are good at mining?

19. Th0nt

Capodecina

Yeah it is inevitable people will find a way to bulk buy these, sad that the suppliers cannot keep them at bay until gamers have had the first feed.

20. Richdog

Caporegime

Sounds like a living nightmare. :eek:

LOL... it may be the truth of the matter but you can potentially work a little on your diplomacy skills for the future, because if I was a woman and you talked to me with that kind of 1960's lingo you would be attending to your own desires for the foreseeable future. :D

Last edited: 3 Oct 2020