• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
That's impressive tbh

Yeap! Best performance and also IMO best looking card. I did prefer the FE at one point, though the negatives of it (high VRAM and VRM temps, ugly 12pin placement, only 2x8pin) outweigh the numerous positives of the Asus Strix.

I'm 153 in the queue for a Strix 3090 OC, so hopefully around a month away. Lovely having my place secured and knowing it's gonna show up one day! :D

Soldato
asus-rog-rtx-3090-strix-gpu-ampere-overclocking-1.jpg
Does it not have any RGB lights on the front of it ? :confused::(:(:(

Soldato
Sooooo I guess these ampere cards are good at mining?

I said this since before launch, but all the moron tech sites said 'don't worry it's not good for mining' because they didn't figure out that you still have include the card's value into the equation not just mining performance + elec usage. Ofc people are going to mine with them, hell I will too as soon as I get one! It's free money wtf

Soldato
I said this since before launch, but all the moron tech sites said 'don't worry it's not good for mining' because they didn't figure out that you still have include the card's value into the equation not just mining performance + elec usage. Ofc people are going to mine with them, hell I will too as soon as I get one! It's free money wtf
After I did a bit of research the 3080 can be relatively profitable. I don't disagree, may as well recoup some cost and is getting into the winter months now so no need for heating :)

I'm not sure if cuts the mustard for professional mining. Unless electricity costs are very low.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

Also, when the mining software matures the cards will get better with it, you also factor in your undervolting, clocking and the thing will be chewing through hashes at probably 200w. Same will be for the top RDNA2 card.

After I did a bit of research the 3080 can be relatively profitable. I don't disagree, may as well recoup some cost and is getting into the winter months now so no need for heating :)

I'm not sure if cuts the mustard for professional mining. Unless electricity costs are very low.

It will be desirable as was the 2080Ti. Farms will be on 5p per unit or lower dependent on region/country but also business rates in most countries are cheap too.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Is why I don't think mining has that much of an impact.

It will for sure. Dont miss that the guys with rigs have aging hardware (polaris/pascal) which will be an attractive upgrade path.

People who have money will buy them up, they also hold value so will sell on with near retail price a year down the line.

People who have paid off their cards/equipment over the past three years will have capital to spend and the 3080 is prime picking for this. They sell off the old cards and thats less to pay on the new cards.

Caporegime
OP
NVIDIA shares official GeForce RTX 3070 performance figures https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-shares-official-geforce-rtx-3070-performance-figures

According to official figures it's basically around 10% faster overall, with RTX on, than a 2080Ti. For £500.

However, I do not trust that this is the full picture as Nvidia will undoubtedly have cherry-picked the benchmarks to get to that 10%. With RTX off and with a more varied set of tests, I am expecting overall a bit less performance than a 2080TI, especially an overclocked 2080Ti.

Ladies and Gentlemen, my names Paul, says the 3070 DECIMATES! the 20s :p

Soldato
Ladies and Gentlemen, my names Paul, says the 3070 DECIMATES! the 20s :p

The 3080 is 30% average faster than the Ti. Likely around the 20% mark when both are overclocked. Obviously the 3080 being better at DLSS/RTX etc.

I can’t see the 3070 matching the 2080Ti based on its specs. 3080 has 47% more cuda cores than the 3070. That is a fair amount.

Plus the 3070 is using normal gddr so I think personally 3070 is going to be 20-30% slower than 2080Ti as a whole perhaps even more. Then you have the 8gb vs 11gb etc.

Man of Honour
In his graph it looks neck and neck with the 2080Ti for games, with productivity apps it pulls away.

I think once users get their hands on the 3070 it will be 5% or 10% slower than the 2080 Ti.

NVidia are using hand picked benches to show the 3070 in the best light.

Take away stuff like Luxmark which has very little to do with gaming and run games less 3070 friendly and the real picture will emerge.

Soldato
I think once users get their hands on the 3070 it will be 5% or 10% slower than the 2080 Ti.

NVidia are using hand picked benches to show the 3070 in the best light.

Take away stuff like Luxmark which has very little to do with gaming and run games less 3070 friendly and the real picture will emerge.

just using some scaling we can sort of calculate it

the 3090 has 20% more SMs than the 3080 yet is only 10-15% faster.

The 3080 is 30% faster than the 2080ti

The 3080 has 45% more SMs than the 3070, so it should be about about 25% slower than than the 3080 (relative to the 2080ti) making it 5% faster than the 2080ti.

However while its easy to compare we can't just look at SM units, memory bandwidth is significant different between these cards and it's harder to measure the impact that has. But generally speaking the 3070 has less bandwidth than the 2080ti so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that it will perform worse in high bandwidth loads like a AAA game running at 4k. On top of that, the amount allocated gets lower down the stack - the 3090 and 3080 is allocated 11.5GB/s bandwidth per SM while the 3070 only gets 9.3GB/s per SM

Last edited:
Associate
In a Q&A session after GTC Digital 2020 NVIDIA CEO Jensen Huang confirmed that GeForce RTX 3090/3080 shortages are to be expected until 2021:

I believe that demand will outstrip all of our supply throughout the year. Remember, we’re also going into the double-whammy, the double-whammy is the holiday season. Even before the holiday season we were doing incredibly well, and then you add on top of it, the Ampere factor, and then you add on the Ampere holiday factor, and we’re going to have a really really big Q4 season.”
– Jensen Huang

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-...090-and-rtx-3080-shortages-to-last-until-2021

Back
Top Bottom