• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Yeah I think roughly £500 for 3070 too, but with the virus factor becoming an issue, demand will outstrip supply and.. increased prices.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I do indeed have a reflex gag to illogical (as you provided no explanation and no good reasoning) and snipey posts dismissing consoles when we have enough info to make reasonable judgements about the power they will have. The fact you still don't provide any rationale in your follow-up post is telling.
What rationale do I need to provide? The facts are there. Top end consumer PCs are already more powerful than these unreleased consoles.

Caporegime
OP
I can't see the 3070 only being £500, if its about equal to a £1200+ 2080Ti.

If that is the case, then the 2080Ti owners want to get selling their £1200+ cards now, before these hit, otherwise they are going to be lucky to get about £300 for em :p

Caporegime
PS5 is to PC graphics as knives are to homing briefcases. Infinitely better in every way. Plus we have actual keyboards. ;)

"Infinitely better in every way"

Bit early to say don't you think? Seeing as PS5 hasn't been released yet.

I'm amazed at how good looking God of War on PS4 pro was, and that essentially is still playing on a 7-8 year old CPU.

Caporegime
Not just about. They are.

An Xbox Series X will be more powerful than a 3600x with a 2080 Super and it'll cost around £500

And it'll play 4K Blu-rays, and have HDMI 2.1 which no Nvidia GPU currently does have.

So yes, you are correct that the small number of people with 10+ core CPU's with 2080Ti's or Titan RTX's have "PC's already more powerful than these consoles" (and I'm one of them, by the way)

But if you are on most types of budget, the Xbox Series X makes far more sense than buying a top-end PC for gaming.

Either way, I think the new consoles will be great for PC games. I probably won't bother buying an Xbox Series X, because of the Microsoft Gamepass means I get all the games on PC anyway and yes, my PC is better

Caporegime
As i said in the big Navi thread:

If you can get a whole console at ~ RTX 2080 Super performance for £100 less than the cost of that GPU alone.... Yeah Nvidia are in hot water.

AMD don't really care, at best only 3 in 10 people buy AMD GPU's even where people like those GPU's and think they are good cards, at the high end its less than 1 in 10, but huge numbers of people do buy consoles powered by their hardware.

PC Gaming is not in the same good health it once was, that's down to escalating costs, 10 years ago a high end card like a 5870 would cost you £250, today all that gets you is a low mid tier card, even a mid range card is £500, todays 5870 is £1200.

I would say Consoles could kill off PC gaming, but we will do that to ourselves firstly with our fickle fanboyisum..... even after the 290 series got AIB cooling the memes and ridicule remained relentless despite those cards being really very good by any measure, even today with new cards on the way from AMD people are already posting those same tired overused memes in anticipation, there are people, a small but very loud number of people who just don't want AMD there at all let alone competitive, those are the people who will kill our community / Hoby because AMD no longer care, they are side stepping us. and of course Nvidia with 0 competition GPU pricing has increase five fold in just 10 years.... yes we played our part in that.

Soldato
I don't have a gaming PC because I want an "average" experience.
Every time a new console gen comes out people jump on this forum saying that PC gaming is dead... 20 years later and PC hardware and games continue to break new records in sales... yes console gaming is always higher in terms of numbers, but it never diminishes PC gaming.

The fact that you think gaming on a TV is any way a good experience tells me everything I need to know about what you like about gaming. It is as drastically different a use case as you can possibly get to how I actually game.

Consoles could come out that are faster in every way than my PC and I would still buy a gaming PC over a console every day of the week. Its like going on to a DSLR forum and telling everyone your $1000 phone is better at taking pictures than their $500 DSLR. Maybe it is for the way you use your phone, but some people prefer all the customisation that's possible, its not strictly about cost or performance, they are completely different use cases.

First of all context is everything. I word things carefully but not everyone reads as carefully. As I said to "the average punter" those consoles will look incredible, they've got no idea what a 2080Ti on a 4K monitor looks like and don't want to pay thousands for it anyway.

It's not either/or there's a lot of overlap between consoles and PC. I wouldn't play some games either on console but I won't deny that consoles over a very good experience to the average user. PC will always offer higher settings and frame rates but costs many times more so that seems reasonable.

The new consoles will not affect sales of high end PC hardware but may swing the purchasing decisions of the low to mid range buyer and I can see why.

Caporegime
they've got no idea what a 2080Ti on a 4K monitor looks like and don't want to pay thousands for it anyway.

I agree with most of your points.

But I would argue that in single player games, somebody with an Xbox Series X, plugged in to an LG C9/C10 is going to get a much better visual experience than somebody playing at 1080p on a 240hz panel, unless they are some sort of elite pro competitive gamer.

Not to mention that PC multiplayer games are plagued with hacks and bots, which you simply don't get on a closed system like Xbox or Playstation.

Soldato
People need understand that at 1080p,an RTX2080 Super is around 40% faster than a RX5600XT/RTX2060:
https://tpucdn.com/review/powercolo...gon/images/relative-performance_1920-1080.png

The RX5600XT can be had for under £300. So if the new generation Ampere/RDNA2 GPUs at £250~£350 are not at least 40% faster,than the previous generation,it will be a failure IMHO. An RX5600XT/RTX2060 with a Ryzen 5 3600 is what you can get in most £1000 prebuilt gaming PCs,and a console will cost £400~£700,looking at the various rumours. That is with an 8C/16T CPU and a PCI-E 4.0 SSD.

So the problem,is if the upper mainstream/lower highend cards,are not least RTX2080 Super level,then even a £1000 gaming PC might not even beat the XBox Series X!

Soldato
First of all context is everything. I word things carefully but not everyone reads as carefully. As I said to "the average punter" those consoles will look incredible, they've got no idea what a 2080Ti on a 4K monitor looks like and don't want to pay thousands for it anyway.

It's not either/or there's a lot of overlap between consoles and PC. I wouldn't play some games either on console but I won't deny that consoles over a very good experience to the average user. PC will always offer higher settings and frame rates but costs many times more so that seems reasonable.

The new consoles will not affect sales of high end PC hardware but may swing the purchasing decisions of the low to mid range buyer and I can see why.

I didn't say it was either/or for everyone, I'm just saying I predominantly play on PC and the games I play are not available on console, the games we play on console are not available on PC, the person that I originally responded to was saying consoles are better than PC's, I was pointing out they are different things

people keep saying cost/performance wise there's no reason to buy a PC, which is irrelevant and not true

Permabanned
PS5 is to PC graphics as knives are to homing briefcases. Infinitely better in every way. Plus we have actual keyboards. ;)

That's the kicker for me, If the next console have full mouse & keyboard support I'll be very happy, I bought a PS4 & a Xim Apex but it was too slow to respond so all I did was waste a load of money.
I won't be doing that again.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I can't see the 3070 only being £500, if its about equal to a £1200+ 2080Ti.

If that is the case, then the 2080Ti owners want to get selling their £1200+ cards now, before these hit, otherwise they are going to be lucky to get about £300 for em :p
Yeah, that’s what 980Ti owners said, then the 1070 came out. Apart from the lacklustre 20 series it has always been like this. Let’s see what happens, nvidia have a lot more competition this time :)

An Xbox Series X will be more powerful than a 3600x with a 2080 Super and it'll cost around £500

And it'll play 4K Blu-rays, and have HDMI 2.1 which no Nvidia GPU currently does have.

So yes, you are correct that the small number of people with 10+ core CPU's with 2080Ti's or Titan RTX's have "PC's already more powerful than these consoles" (and I'm one of them, by the way)

But if you are on most types of budget, the Xbox Series X makes far more sense than buying a top-end PC for gaming.

Either way, I think the new consoles will be great for PC games. I probably won't bother buying an Xbox Series X, because of the Microsoft Gamepass means I get all the games on PC anyway and yes, my PC is better
+1

Back
Top Bottom