• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Klo

Klo

Soldato
Eeew not console..

In 2020 in the PC Space £500 is mainstream. We can all dream about 5-10 years ago but reality check guys, it's 2020 xD

An RTX 3070 at £500 would be a decent move by Nvidia, assuming performance and features are strong.

It's only been one generation of rip-off pricing from Nvidia, please don't say you are conditioned by that yet? :p

The 1070 partner cards were releasing for under £350 in 2016, allowing inflation etc it should be no more than £400. But Nvidias net profit margin has over doubled in that time, so I guess consumers are concerned with protecting that for Nvidia.

Soldato
Eeew not console..

In 2020 in the PC Space £500 is mainstream. We can all dream about 5-10 years ago but reality check guys, it's 2020 xD

An RTX 3070 at £500 would be a decent move by Nvidia, assuming performance and features are strong.

£500 sounds good to me. My 780 FE was 525 and that was the cheapest brand.

Associate
My 2080Ti arrived September 29th 2018 and cost me £1090.

That means it has cost me about £47 per month - which is what some people pay for a mobile phone contract for 2 years.

I've tried to do a quick calculation of game-time on Steam/Gamepass/Epic Store etc since 1st October 2018. I don't multi-task when playing games so this will be pretty accurate.

So for the GPU, that's £1.21 per hour of gaming. I'm ok with that.

I have to admit mine is pretty similar. I had sold my 1080TI at the time for around £500ish and got a 2080 TI and had so much gaming pleasure out of it. Its paid for itself !

Plus now with so many companies like Paypal offering 4 month interest free ot 12 month interest free - its no different to getting a phone contract ! Probably the same price or cheaper then 12 month top tier like Samsung Note 20 Ultra phone contract. ( If they did 12 months anymore )

Associate
Shareholders can drive a company to the verge of madness, thinking not of their customers nor their employees, but the eternal quest to keep the shareholders happy.

But the drive to please shareholders above all else is making businesses irrational.

God forbid the owners of a company benefit from the business the company does... :rolleyes:

You assume all shareholders just want money money money now now now! Nonsense, shareholders are often more than willing to take a short term hit for longer term gains, my gold mining stocks are a testament to that! Many companies begin projects that won't see a penny of returns for decades, nuclear power plants for example.

And no shareholder wants to see their company lose their customers. The 3090 is a halo, ultra-high-end product for people to show off with and enjoy the performance that the rest of us will only be able to afford a couple of years down the line, price starts to become irrelevant at a certain point. It's the mid-range high volume products where the shareholder money is made, and judging from the Steam Hardware Survey nVidia have been doing a sterling job for their customers, and as a result their shareholders, in the last few years.

Seriously stop whinging the lot of you. Yes we're not getting the +50% performance every 6 months like we used to get back in the day, but computer hardware has obviously reached the point of diminishing returns and those days won't be coming back.

Caporegime
God forbid the owners of a company benefit from the business the company does... :rolleyes:

You assume all shareholders just want money money money now now now! Nonsense, shareholders are often more than willing to take a short term hit for longer term gains, my gold mining stocks are a testament to that! Many companies begin projects that won't see a penny of returns for decades, nuclear power plants for example.

And no shareholder wants to see their company lose their customers. The 3090 is a halo, ultra-high-end product for people to show off with and enjoy the performance that the rest of us will only be able to afford a couple of years down the line, price starts to become irrelevant at a certain point. It's the mid-range high volume products where the shareholder money is made, and judging from the Steam Hardware Survey nVidia have been doing a sterling job for their customers, and as a result their shareholders, in the last few years.

Seriously stop whinging the lot of you. Yes we're not getting the +50% performance every 6 months like we used to get back in the day, but computer hardware has obviously reached the point of diminishing returns and those days won't be coming back.
Calm down Jensen. The new leather jacket is in the bag; we both know this.

Telling consumers to shut up and get their wallets out is fine, but don't expect too many to agree with you (those who don't have nV shares, that is).

Associate
It's only been one generation of rip-off pricing from Nvidia, please don't say you are conditioned by that yet? :p

The 1070 partner cards were releasing for under £350 in 2016, allowing inflation etc it should be no more than £400. But Nvidias net profit margin has over doubled in that time, so I guess consumers are concerned with protecting that for Nvidia.
I concur, bought my 470 for £250 brand new from OcUK i recall. When the xx70 cards went up to 350 i felt a bit annoyed and even worse with Turing. I would be devastated if the new price is 500 for a xx70 card they cannot be going constantly up in price jeez.

Associate
Sad to think the 970 came out at £300, the 1070 was ~£360. People are settling for these massive price increases too easily.

There's normally cards for everyone's price range though.

no one forces people to buy the fastest car. I have a old run about as that's all I need and want. I could play on a AMD 580 and turn every detail down but I don't want that...

Soldato
I appriciate people like the latest tech, but what are most of you rich folk using your planned 3090 for?

I'm not using it to call people out, genuinely curious what you run / play to demand such PWR
I wouldn't class myself as rich, I just save for my techie interests.

DCS, general gaming @ 3440x1440 160fps

Caporegime
There's normally cards for everyone's price range though.

no one force people to buy the fastest car. I have a old run about as that's all I need and want. I could play on a AMD 580 and turn every detail down but I don;t want that...
Yeah but if you've got a xx70 you can't typically "upgrade" to an xx60, and so on and so on.

The only way you can do that is if you wait 3 gens or so.

Then you'll find you're upgrading from the xx70 to the xx60 to the xx50 to the ... card that doesn't exist :p And when you've reached the bottom of the stack, then you start having to pay whatever the asking price is for an upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom